U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-06-2009, 05:29 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,189 times
Reputation: 10
Default Where should I live???

I have been trying to decide where I would like to relocate to and maybe someone out there can give me some suggestions. Let me start by saying that I am 34, single and have been living in South Florida for the past 30 years. I own a small business (that I will be keeping) and plan to come back to Fl every year Jan-April. Ok this is what Im looking for: moderate climate (I want to see all 4 seasons, at least a little snow), mountains (I love the blue ridge, but need rolling land as I have horses), rural, but not too rural (I would like to be within 40 minutes of a city that has good restauraunts and entertainment).

I visited Asheville, NC for 7 days and was kind of disappointed. While it is beautiful (love the mountains) and I had some very good food, there were so many hippies and it just had a vibe that i was not expecting. Also the real estate prices were high (I need at least 10 acers for the horses). I like the look of Virginia & West Virginia around the blue ridge mts, but know nothing about the cities. I started to look in Kentucky as the prices and taxes are lower and for the fact that it is "horse country", but I have a feeling I will regret the move b/c there are no mountains.

Any suggestions would be great!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 PM
 
16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Reputation: 7954
East Tennessee, northwest South Carolina, north Georgia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
 
45 posts, read 69,261 times
Reputation: 32
jumpbig-

Asheville is inside of Buncombe County. So check into the communities of Buncombe County.

The real estate prices are extremely high and out of range for many. But the developers in this area are not natives of this city/county. Most of the downtown of Asheville has been taken over by outside developers.

Living in Buncombe County North Carolina

Asheville North Carolina
These two sites are official sites.

asheville real estate, Asheville nc real estate, asheville north carolina real estate, downtown asheville, wnc real estate

Here are some real estate information that might help.

If you want to keep the prices much lower, check outside of the city limits.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Tryon, NC
3 posts, read 3,318 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpbig View Post
I have been trying to decide where I would like to relocate to and maybe someone out there can give me some suggestions. Let me start by saying that I am 34, single and have been living in South Florida for the past 30 years. I own a small business (that I will be keeping) and plan to come back to Fl every year Jan-April. Ok this is what Im looking for: moderate climate (I want to see all 4 seasons, at least a little snow), mountains (I love the blue ridge, but need rolling land as I have horses), rural, but not too rural (I would like to be within 40 minutes of a city that has good restauraunts and entertainment).

I visited Asheville, NC for 7 days and was kind of disappointed. While it is beautiful (love the mountains) and I had some very good food, there were so many hippies and it just had a vibe that i was not expecting. Also the real estate prices were high (I need at least 10 acers for the horses). I like the look of Virginia & West Virginia around the blue ridge mts, but know nothing about the cities. I started to look in Kentucky as the prices and taxes are lower and for the fact that it is "horse country", but I have a feeling I will regret the move b/c there are no mountains.

Any suggestions would be great!

I have the PERFECT spot! Especially given you want moderate climate, rolling land, you have horses, want some culture and want to be 30-40 minutes from a big town...I am describing my town of TRYON, NC. It is known as the "Friendliest Town in the South" (which I have found to be true when I started going there from Jupiter, FL), it is in the thermal belt so does not get harsh weather, has a wonderful & growing equestrian community, has some good restaurants for its size yet Tryon is only 15-30 minutes from several large towns offering you anything you'd want...It is a great melting pot - I meet people who have moved there from all over the country and world...a gem of a place! Hope you give it some consideration! Happy to help further if you need it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
44,311 posts, read 54,771,183 times
Reputation: 37033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer157 View Post
I have the PERFECT spot! Especially given you want moderate climate, rolling land, you have horses, want some culture and want to be 30-40 minutes from a big town...I am describing my town of TRYON, NC. It is known as the "Friendliest Town in the South" (which I have found to be true when I started going there from Jupiter, FL), it is in the thermal belt so does not get harsh weather, has a wonderful & growing equestrian community, has some good restaurants for its size yet Tryon is only 15-30 minutes from several large towns offering you anything you'd want...It is a great melting pot - I meet people who have moved there from all over the country and world...a gem of a place! Hope you give it some consideration! Happy to help further if you need it!
This is a great suggestion. I too love Tryon, and nearby Landrum
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 AM
 
13 posts, read 26,069 times
Reputation: 16
I am curious about this area as well - have children, so want a great place to raise them, living n alabama now and tired of the bible belt, judgemental mentality - lived in pbg, fl for 8 years so know the jupiter area very well. just want a safe, decent place to raise my kids, friendly people who accept others
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,213 times
Reputation: 10
Tryon has to be the strangest place I have ever lived. They are not very accepting to outsiders coming here. They still have a hatred for yankees, which was mind boggling. There is still alot of hatred towards african americans as the Klan is still in the area. Many poorly educated people probably has something to do with this. High alcoholism and drug use. The elementary school in my opinion seems to be the one bright spot so far. Culture shock is a term you will here by many outsiders coming here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Western NC
5,646 posts, read 5,244,363 times
Reputation: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctnc View Post
Tryon has to be the strangest place I have ever lived. They are not very accepting to outsiders coming here. They still have a hatred for yankees, which was mind boggling. There is still alot of hatred towards african americans as the Klan is still in the area. Many poorly educated people probably has something to do with this. High alcoholism and drug use. The elementary school in my opinion seems to be the one bright spot so far. Culture shock is a term you will here by many outsiders coming here.

The OP may have relocated by now. This is an old thread.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top