U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

1,975 posts, read 3,410,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A word about that website. I just put in my address. We built our house in 2009 and many places still say we don't exist. Interestingly enough our address did work. However, it came up with a list of providers that are not in my area at all. It gave me a cable provider a few hours away. Said I could get a whole bunch of things from AT&T which I cannot. I know because I asked them recently. Came up with several phone companies that do not exist in my area at all. So a word of caution with websites like this. I have been wanting to get away from the dreadful cable company we have, but have absolutely no other options for internet service unless we do satellite. We work from home so that slowness isn't an option. I do know someone who has HughesNet. While it's not speedy, she says it works for her up in the TN mountains. She posts on here regularly.
Well it is just a starting point to give her an idea. When you are moving from several states away though you probably have no idea what cable companies are even offered in the new state. Obviously you need to call the listed providers and find out if they do in fact offer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM

12,305 posts, read 9,919,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Well it is just a starting point to give her an idea. When you are moving from several states away though you probably have no idea what cable companies are even offered in the new state. Obviously you need to call the listed providers and find out if they do in fact offer service.
Out of the 8 it searched, none were in my area even though it said they were. It would have been a complete waste of my time. I'm sure this is the case for other folks as well especially since the OP has already contacted several places.

One thing though. For the OP, did you actually contact all of the places or did you go by what AT&T told you based on their search? I ask because AT&T still says my address doesn't exist, yet I've had an iPhone with them for well over a year and they mail me the bill. Same address they say doesn't exist.

One day when I was out, I saw a Verizon store. I didn't know if they knew anything about residential Verizon or if it was all just wireless. The genuses working there told me that the Verizon website is fake and to only trust the Verizon Wireless website where they could get me on a 3G plan. I used to have Verizon for phone service in another state! Their website is NOT fake! Why would I want 3G when I already have cable?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 24,881 times
We have had a home near Murphy for 2 years and use Frontier (formally verizon) DSL through my phone line. I have a wireless router and the speed and reliablilty has been great. Talk to Frontier they handle the service now in the Murphy area not verizon.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM

177 posts, read 336,047 times
I've been all over Frontier like a cheap suit. No DSL to my address.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:01 AM

3,491 posts, read 3,069,794 times
We have HughesNet, although for our RV, not our house (just south of Murphy) over the GA. line. Hughes net is okay, but don't expect anything near DSL speed. It is 3 x's better than dial-up, but not near as fast as their advertising would have you believe.

Hughes also has a bit of a problem with "frapping" out. In other words, if you use to much bandwidth in a 24 hour period, they will cut you off for the next 24 hours. If you are doing much more than browsing (i.e. downloading or uploading large amount of data, or if you need a static connection such as game-playing)... forget it. If I'm not mistaken, Hughes has three different plans and prices, once again, depending on the amount of speed and bandwidth you need.

I do know another board that has tons of great info on Hughes/Datastorm if you'd like, and you can contact me here by private message and I can get that info to you....

Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 AM

210 posts, read 694,311 times
Not sure if this is helpful but just read on another forum where they use a Verizon Air Card for their Internet. They are up in the mountains and cannot get DSL even. They also use Direct TV for TV service as they have no running electric and are off grid.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 AM

63 posts, read 126,339 times
Andrews Broadband is expanding quickly. I had cable internet and recently switched and the speed is excelelnt.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:04 AM

177 posts, read 336,047 times
Someone else mentioned the Air Card, but I couldn't find any info on it at the Verizon site. Is this something that you can get only if you are using Verizon as your cellphone?
And while I am quizzing Murphy residents, how reliable is the electric service? There are underground utilities, which seem pretty 'new-fangled' for being way out in the country, but we wondered if we should invest in a generator. Up here in NY, if somebody sneezes, the power goes out.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 3,069,794 times
This is just my opinion, cause we had a Verizon air-card prior to our directway... It works great if you are in a very good service area with a great digital signal. Otherwise... not good. At our place north of Blairsville... not good at all.. They also tell you it's unlimited; but you must read the fine print. It's unlimited up to a point.. but go over that point, and you might get what I did... A $800.00 bill! They did call me and tell me that they'll waive the overage 1 time since it wasn't a usual occurrence, but that if it happened again... they would charge me. Thus.. the air-card went away..

And.. as far as the underground utilities... we have these in our area as well, but we do lose power occasionally, because the main lines to our house are still on poles. I must give credit though, the power company is very responsive to outages, the outages have never been truly very long, and other than the fact that their rates have gone sky-high we've been very pleased with their service. (Blue Ridge Mountain EMC)...

Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 10,656 times
KirbyMom, since no one has posted in this thread for a couple of weeks now, I do hope you have found some solution.

I live in Franklin (a couple of towns due East of Murphy) and after years of only having dial-up, Verizon started providing us dsl. Everything was great for awhile and then Verizon sold their isp to Frontier. Everything was great with Frontier for awhile and then all of us customers started experiencing frequent Internet outages. After many complaint calls to Frontier (they did give me a "one-time only" month's credit to my bill) and several conversations with Supervisors at Frontier, they assured me that the problem mainly was "all of Verizon's outdated equipment which needs replacing". They apparently have replaced it as promised because I haven't had any problems in over a month.
I know this probably won't help you to hear this since you need a solution quickly but Frontier is working day and night to get everything up and running for WNC and when they do, we all will have dsl here in the mountains of NC. btw, Frontier is also an American owned company and when you call for tech support, you'll always get someone who speaks without a thick accent and understands English. That alone, will keep me with that company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina