U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Weaverville
765 posts, read 2,207,775 times
Reputation: 400

Advertisements

OK, I know there's a Super Walmart in Asheville but what else is there? I heard a couple years ago that Costco was looking to build in Arden/Fletcher, did that die with the recession? Any other options other than driving to Charlotte for Costco and BJ's? How is the Target out on Airport Road--do they also have a grocery store or is it just a smaller department store location? I know about Earth Fare, but who can afford to actually shop there on a regular basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Bernanke's Financial Laboratory
513 posts, read 1,046,406 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
OK, I know there's a Super Walmart in Asheville but what else is there? I heard a couple years ago that Costco was looking to build in Arden/Fletcher, did that die with the recession? Any other options other than driving to Charlotte for Costco and BJ's? How is the Target out on Airport Road--do they also have a grocery store or is it just a smaller department store location? I know about Earth Fare, but who can afford to actually shop there on a regular basis?
Speaking of Walmart, is the Waynesville store a "Super" version or the smaller one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Santa Fe, NM
647 posts, read 1,188,022 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
OK, I know there's a Super Walmart in Asheville but what else is there? I heard a couple years ago that Costco was looking to build in Arden/Fletcher, did that die with the recession? Any other options other than driving to Charlotte for Costco and BJ's? How is the Target out on Airport Road--do they also have a grocery store or is it just a smaller department store location? I know about Earth Fare, but who can afford to actually shop there on a regular basis?
Greenville is the closest Costco, but I've not been there (driven by it). I'd heard the rumor of one coming to Arden/Fletcher but never heard what happened to the idea. Target on Airport Road is not a grocery store although they do have a few items.

Earth Fare is funny. You probably can't do all your grocery shopping there, even if you can afford it. There are every day things they just don't have. But every now and then you'll find something they carry that is cheaper than elsewhere for whatever reason. I hesitate to post specifics because if they are reading this, I'm sure they will fix that problem.

Since the number of bad experiences we've had with Ingles almost equals our number of visits to Ingles, we wind up at Harris Teeter most of the time. Although the Ingles in Fletcher is fairly new and has not provided the frustration of the one in Arden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,082,955 times
Reputation: 8258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Speaking of Walmart, is the Waynesville store a "Super" version or the smaller one?
Super
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,334,487 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
OK, I know there's a Super Walmart in Asheville but what else is there? I heard a couple years ago that Costco was looking to build in Arden/Fletcher, did that die with the recession? Any other options other than driving to Charlotte for Costco and BJ's? How is the Target out on Airport Road--do they also have a grocery store or is it just a smaller department store location? I know about Earth Fare, but who can afford to actually shop there on a regular basis?

Asheville unfortunately has damn near everything as far as box stores, home depot, lowes, best buy, barnes and noble, etc etc. Please try to support the local economy as much as possible. These big corporations own us and we keep supporting them.........As for earth fare I think its all in what you you value. Although I much prefer greenlife as earthfare carries alot of conventional produce. But if organic food that is healthy and god for the planet we all inhabit is improtant you can find a way to afford it. Maybe cut back on your directv bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Weaverville
765 posts, read 2,207,775 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Asheville unfortunately has damn near everything as far as box stores, home depot, lowes, best buy, barnes and noble, etc etc. Please try to support the local economy as much as possible. These big corporations own us and we keep supporting them.........As for earth fare I think its all in what you you value. Although I much prefer greenlife as earthfare carries alot of conventional produce. But if organic food that is healthy and god for the planet we all inhabit is improtant you can find a way to afford it. Maybe cut back on your directv bill
We have found Earth Fare to be pretty good for some stuff and way over priced for others, sort of like the Whole Foods chain. On visits to town when we didn't want to go out to eat we just pick up something at their prepared meals counter and eat it back at the hotel. I like Harris Teeter up here so we'll check them out for sure down there, not impressed with Ingles.

We visited the coop downtown once and weren't impressed with their offerings. I suspect that once we get moved in we'll visit the other organic/health food stores too as well as the farmers markets. Next spring we will definitely have to break ground on a garden. Used to have one up here until the deer got so thick it wasn't worth the trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,082,955 times
Reputation: 8258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
We have found Earth Fare to be pretty good for some stuff and way over priced for others, sort of like the Whole Foods chain. On visits to town when we didn't want to go out to eat we just pick up something at their prepared meals counter and eat it back at the hotel. I like Harris Teeter up here so we'll check them out for sure down there, not impressed with Ingles.

We visited the coop downtown once and weren't impressed with their offerings. I suspect that once we get moved in we'll visit the other organic/health food stores too as well as the farmers markets. Next spring we will definitely have to break ground on a garden. Used to have one up here until the deer got so thick it wasn't worth the trouble.
No Whole Foods here, not sure how far away the closest one is. Harris Teeter, they are a very few scattered around, 1 in south Asheville, 1 in Hendersonville.

Gotta keep in mind the co-op downtown is "locally grown" and it will only contain crops that are coming in at the moment.

Check out the Farmers Market, they have local, when local crops are coming in, and trucked in produce at other times. The first good corn and tomatoes we get come from SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Asheville
1,162 posts, read 3,545,151 times
Reputation: 1197
I ditto Native on our Farmer's Market, big place with some indoor and some outdoor, fairly easy to get to from almost anywhere in town (near where I40 and I26 intersect), all the fresh produce you could want and mountain crafts there too. I've heard Costco mentioned before, that people who move here wish we had one. But we've got pretty much everything else in duplicate, as previous posters have said. Keep in mind if you move to the south part of town, there's a good bit of traffic on the multi-laned roads, making it a little tiresome to go anywhere.

Not sure of your price range, but don't overlook the Grove Park area just to the north of town, also homes on Beaver Lake further north on Merrimon, which that road goes into Weaverville, I think you mentioned Weaverville in another thread, eat at the Weaverville Milling Company, nice experience. There was also a thread by "the Parkies" and their house-hunting saga, they wound up in a pretty development east of Asheville recommended by another poster, which would put you closer to visiting Black Mountain for their cute downtown and their Tomahawk Lake with a pleasant walking path all the way around it. And for views, I suppose it's worth a look up on Town Mountain if there's a house or two for sale up there.

Those are just a few locales that come to mind to consider in addition to the South Asheville vicinity, I know you can't wait to visit some homes and really get a closer look at all the interesting neighborhoods Asheville and its outskirts have, you will be sure to find a great fit for you and your wife's preferences. And let's hope you get moved in for Christmas as you wanted, maybe we'll get some snow about then, fun to go to Biltmore Village and shop during the holidays because of the lights they put up.

Oh, one more thing, you were talking about paying cash, and while that's exactly what I did, I sort of wish I had gotten an additional short-term loan to cover the rest, so we'd have had more cash in the bank when it was all done. But I have to assume you will have plenty left over, you sound like you've got your ducks in a row. And hope you will do some of your house-hunting in October, the third week is when the show usually takes off big-time, you'll enjoy riding along some of the stretches of the Blue Ridge Parkway for the color spectacular, altho there will be lots of other folks up there doing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Weaverville
765 posts, read 2,207,775 times
Reputation: 400
Thanks gigi, we have visited the area several times over the past 5 years and know the area very well by now including the farmers market. We have a large number of friends down there too who have been helpful. Any amount of traffic that Arden/Fletcher has we have in multiples up here so even that would be a significant decrease for us. When we come I'm sure it will be in either late Sept or early Oct since we need to move before Thanksgiving. I know what you mean about the cashflow thing--my pension and payout checks will take 6-8 weeks to start so we'll be living on savings and credit cards from mid-Jan until March so we need to stash as much cash as we can. Don't want to have to raid the 401K too early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
90 posts, read 293,016 times
Reputation: 59
Default Sam's Club...

There's a Sam's Club just west of downtown. I believe this is similar to Costco. A new Walmart and Lowe's opened out my way in Weaverville as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top