Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM

113 posts, read 370,685 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am going camping in october and would love to hike either grandfather mountain, mt mitchell, or other good longer hikes in that area. I am looking for a clean campground with the following must haves:

1) clean bathrooms WITH showers!
2) parking space on the camp site- like to be close to my truck
3) must allow campfires etc (some don't and what is camping without a fire??)
4) picnic table/grill on the camp site. no sharing between sites.

I will be tent camping.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,946,606 times
Well, Julian Price Campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway just west of Blowing Rock is fantastic, but there's no showers.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,382,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
Hi! I am going camping in october and would love to hike either grandfather mountain, mt mitchell, or other good longer hikes in that area. I am looking for a clean campground with the following must haves:

1) clean bathrooms WITH showers!
2) parking space on the camp site- like to be close to my truck
3) must allow campfires etc (some don't and what is camping without a fire??)
4) picnic table/grill on the camp site. no sharing between sites.

I will be tent camping.

Any recommendations?
Most camping along the Parkway is more primitive. As stated, Julian Price park is very nice with everything you want, except the showers. (There are toilets and sinks however.) For the kind of camping you want you're going to need a private campground off the Parkway. Located between Mt. Mitchell and Grandfather Mt. I could highly recommend Bear Den Campground near mile post 325, though just know this will involve some driving from your hiking llocations and won't be as convenient as state park campgrounds

Campgrounds North Carolina, Camping in North Carolina, Camping in Western North Carolina, Bear Den

Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,906,434 times
Black Mountain campground, at the base of Mt. Mitchell. They have a tent-only section as well.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,382,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Black Mountain campground, at the base of Mt. Mitchell. They have a tent-only section as well.
Yes, another nice one - just more of a drive to get to Grandfather Mt.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM

113 posts, read 370,685 times
so far bear den looks like the winner.

i stayed at grandfather mountain and it was ok except the bathrooms, OMG, it was like out of the SAW movies. fixtures broken, glass inside the showers. Bad.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM

267 posts, read 804,214 times
Our family totally loved the campground at Mt. Pisgah. We spent some time there last year in October, and it was fantastic. Now, I'm not sure about showers. Seems to me I remember a sign that said something about showers currently being put in. Not sure. But other than that, the campground hits all your bullet points.

Oh, and they have the best freaking water I've ever drank. At a bunch of spots all around the campground they have pump wells, fresh from underground.

Lots of hiking in the area as well, and if you find yourself desiring a restaurant meal, there is a decent enough restaurant across the street at the Pisgah Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina