U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM

513 posts, read 1,051,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks, but I think you have more to gain by reading that than I do
Actually, you might want to bone up on this paragraph:

"A buyer's agent can be compensated in different ways. For example, you can pay the agent out of your own pocket. Or the agent may seek compensation from the seller or listing agent first, but require you to pay if the listing agent refuses. Whatever the case, be sure your compensation arrangement with your buyer's agent is spelled out in a buyer agency agreement before you make an offer to purchase property and that you carefully read and understand the compensation provision."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,129,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Actually, you might want to bone up on this paragraph:

"A buyer's agent can be compensated in different ways. For example, you can pay the agent out of your own pocket. Or the agent may seek compensation from the seller or listing agent first, but require you to pay if the listing agent refuses. Whatever the case, be sure your compensation arrangement with your buyer's agent is spelled out in a buyer agency agreement before you make an offer to purchase property and that you carefully read and understand the compensation provision."
So? This just means you have CHOICES. Paying your agent yourself might make somebody like you more comfortable about your agents loyalty

Why DO you wish to argue about this? Let it go, life is too short

Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So? This just means you have CHOICES. Paying your agent yourself might make somebody like you more comfortable about your agents loyalty

Why DO you wish to argue about this? Let it go, life is too short
And to think just a couple of posts ago your line was "oh, the seller is paying for the buyers agent, just use one, and go buy the house."

Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,129,117 times
Quote:
And to think just a couple of posts ago your line was "oh, the seller is paying for the buyers agent, just use one, and go buy the house."

That IS how it generally works. And I didn't say it the way you wrote above

I only brought up buyers agents as a suggestion to the poster wanting ideas on how to buy mountain property when the prices seem all over the place and she/he was unsure how to know if they are paying too much. I still contend an experienced local realtor will know the historic values of things in the area they have been selling for years and will be a great resource to someone just coming into an area to help them find what they want at the price they want to pay.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,247,294 times
"Securities upgraded U.S. home builders Toll Brothers Inc and KB Home to "overweight" from "neutral," and said housing will continue to recover over the next 24 months and drive further the current rally in homebuilder stocks. While fundamentals will likely not demonstrate an uninterrupted solid rate of improvement over the next six to 12 months, housing is past its trough, the brokerage wrote in a note to clients. Supply appears more manageable, while demand has begun to stabilize and even slowly re-emerge, the brokerage said."

STOCKS NEWS US-JPMorgan upgrades Toll Bros, KB Home - News - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/32911888/site/14081545/for/cnbc/ - broken link)

Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
"Securities upgraded U.S. home builders Toll Brothers Inc and KB Home to "overweight" from "neutral," and said housing will continue to recover over the next 24 months and drive further the current rally in homebuilder stocks. While fundamentals will likely not demonstrate an uninterrupted solid rate of improvement over the next six to 12 months, housing is past its trough, the brokerage wrote in a note to clients. Supply appears more manageable, while demand has begun to stabilize and even slowly re-emerge, the brokerage said."

STOCKS NEWS US-JPMorgan upgrades Toll Bros, KB Home - News - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/32911888/site/14081545/for/cnbc/ - broken link)
And while people like you are buying, the people that own it are selling...

Bob Toll Once Again Joins Insiders In Unprecedented Stock Selling Spree | zero hedge

Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,324,631 times
I have bought several pieces of mountain property in my life. I own a home in the mountains right now. I have worked with some really fine realtors who were able to show me some similar properties to the ones I narrowed my search to - and that helped a lot with pricing and my decisions about "present value."

Loves was explaining this very well, I thought. All mountain property varies to different degrees. You can have a 2 acre lot even in the same development and the fact that one of them has a spectacular view can make that one more "valuable." And then there is the topography - lots of grading to put in a driveway? Lots of drilling for a well? Or is there public water? Many trees to deal with - expensive to get an arborist in! House on a slope - what about erosion? How much for proper landscaping?

All those factors can make the "value" of two properties very different. They can both have a 2000 sq. ft house sitting on a 2 acre lot . . . but so many variables in each property.

In the end, any piece of property is worth what a willing and able buyer is offering at the moment. If a buyer truly wants to sell . . . then it's a matter of deciding - can I live with this offer?

I have never bought a piece of property that was purchased at considerably below "market value." If the property is $100,000 and I think it is worth $75,000 . . . my offer is $75,000. If the seller gets "insulted" - so what? It's all business. My estimation of "worth" is just that - my estimation.

I have noticed that prices around my mountain home have come down - but a lot of them need to come down further b/f they are realistic. At the same time, if I were to put my house on the market, I am told I would need to ask about $75,000 less for it than I would have asked in 2007, if that tells you anything.

Anyone wanting to buy mountain property right now should consider several things. Yes, prices may go down further, but unless a buyer really wants to sell . . . then listing prices will stay high. A lot of folks don't really NEED to sell their homes, so they think if they hang on, prices will go back up (they won't - not any time soon). Until people get this message, you are gonna see them miffed at offers that they feel are "beneath the property's real value." However, those that truly need to sell will be willing to just get out of the obligation. So my feeling is . . . nothing ventured, nothing gained. Make your offer and if the seller doesn't budge . . . there is always another property somewhere . . . go find it and make an offer, lol.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,247,294 times
Quote:
And while people like you are buying, the people that own it are selling...

Bob Toll Once Again Joins Insiders In Unprecedented Stock Selling Spree | zero hedge

LOL! Wow, you know what stocks I'm buying and selling? You're amaaaaazing!

So Bob Toll has to hold his shares FOREVER???

Considering the monster run his stock has had, I'd be selling too. Good for him.

KBH has nearly doubled since July. Not too shabby, eh?

I'm sure you'll find something negative to say about that too.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,039 times
I own a realty firm about 40 minutes south of Asheville in a town called Tryon and the market is really picking up...not just activity but actual contracts (Thank God!). It's great to now see more pendings and solds in the MLS! Granted a lot of that activity is for homes under $200,000 but some higher-end stuff is moving again as well....hope it continues.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
LOL! Wow, you know what stocks I'm buying and selling? You're amaaaaazing!

So Bob Toll has to hold his shares FOREVER???

Considering the monster run his stock has had, I'd be selling too. Good for him.

KBH has nearly doubled since July. Not too shabby, eh?

I'm sure you'll find something negative to say about that too.
And Debbie Downer throws another one...

How about those FHA delinquencies????

Housing Agency's Cash Reserves Will Drop Below Requirement - washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina