Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM

10 posts, read 36,695 times

Advertisements

That's about it. I went to college in Boone and then had to move away after graduating, of course, to find a job. I remember it being quiet and relaxed.

I'm a Tech Writer and work at software companies. I want back in. What do I do? It seems like the only way to pull down any money in WNC is to be a doctor.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:29 PM

765 posts, read 2,559,163 times
Find a company that will let you telecommute from WNC. Or star up your own firm and work under contract to these software firms. Heck if they can contract out to companies in India they should be able to do Asheville!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:12 PM

139 posts, read 468,618 times
Well if western NC were a state it would rank 45th in population. If it's "quiet and relaxed" you're looking for then you'll be in for some serious disappointment, especially if the population keeps swelling at it's current rate. There are some small towns out there that are still off the beaten path, But as for Watauga county and the Asheville metro, "quiet and relaxed" are becoming distant memories.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,229,305 times
See if Appalachian State is hiring anybody to do writing for them, schools always have as part of the administration department a group that puts out advertising and newsletters for the public, they may list jobs at their online website for ASU. Even tho it's not software tech writing, regular writing is not too different. Just read a couple books from the library on writing ads and feature articles, so you'll know how the lead is done and how to use advertising layout programs. Also, since you're already a graduate from there, you can use their career opportunity department to assist you in finding something in your field in the Boone area. Then you could also work for the regular newspaper in Boone, check out their website for any jobs on their staff and/or write them a letter of inquiry.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Find a company that will let you telecommute from WNC. Or star up your own firm and work under contract to these software firms. Heck if they can contract out to companies in India they should be able to do Asheville!
This is most likely what I am going to wind up doing. I plan to present a tele-work proposal to my company in about three or four months.

I was hoping to avoid this because I did not want to put "all my eggs in one basket." That is, if I lose my position for whatever reason then I will be in Asheville with no job and no local technology companies. Oh well, at that point I suppose I can always get back to Charlotte.

After months of looking it seems that the only jobs to be had in Asheville are service-, tourism-, or healthcare-related.

Of course, starting my own "firm" would be another answer. The problem with that is full-time tech writers can earn very good money. But there are so many "freelance" writers out there that try to bill themselves as tech writers that they low-bid each other to a point where it is not even worth it. Seriously, on Elance these guys are selling themselves for like $10-$15/hour. It's crazy. I don't want to enter that fray if I can help it. But that's a different post, I suppose.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,426,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutface View Post
After months of looking it seems that the only jobs to be had in Asheville are service-, tourism-, or healthcare-related.
At least you looked before you leaped unlike many that think this is the Price is Right, and just Come on Down. Then they really get a gut check.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM

I suppose there can be arguments for both. I would not be happy living check to check among the recently graduated UNCA students though.

It's frustrating that the entire Appalachian mountain range is without technology companies, though. If you think of the coast, there is Wilmington, Myrtle, Charleston, Savannah, etc. Each of these places have jobs. The Piedmont has jobs. There is Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.

But if you want to live in the mountains there is not one single city from Georgia through Tennessee up to West Virginia that would offer any kind of stability for an IT person. It's kind of frustrating. But then again, if there were a bunch of bankers and programmers walking around these mountain towns I probably wouldn't want to be there. I guess I want it both ways.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundforlanguage81 View Post
Well if western NC were a state it would rank 45th in population. If it's "quiet and relaxed" you're looking for then you'll be in for some serious disappointment, especially if the population keeps swelling at it's current rate. There are some small towns out there that are still off the beaten path, But as for Watauga county and the Asheville metro, "quiet and relaxed" are becoming distant memories.

seriously....have you seen the traffic on patton ave. its crazy lately. if there is work in boone stay there. there is much less congestion.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,904,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutface View Post
I guess I want it both ways.
And there you have answered your own question.

If you really want to live in the mountains, then make a long-term goal to get a job with a good company elsewhere, work hard, build your reputation, garner the respect of your peers and your bosses, and then convince them to let you telecommute.

Nobody said life was easy.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
And there you have answered your own question.

If you really want to live in the mountains, then make a long-term goal to get a job with a good company elsewhere, work hard, build your reputation, garner the respect of your peers and your bosses, and then convince them to let you telecommute.

Nobody said life was easy.

Wow that comment comes across condescending. I don't think the poster ever said he wanted life to be easy. He has obviously worked hard, got an education and is now researching for jobs.

Your best shot is working from home, I know people who do it and they started off that way. just gotta find the right company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina