U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM

19,556 posts, read 11,617,551 times
This thread is kind of funny,people complaining about chain grocery stores and how they aren't as good as where they came from...

Well y'all know the old saying.

How about this,don't buy produce out of season and then you can eat locally grown?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 AM

267 posts, read 442,922 times
Yeah, I agree about Winn Dixie. I have one right around the block from me, and I never go. What a crap hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Ingles depends on the location . . . the one on Beaverdam Rd., for example, is pretty decent. The one in my hood, on the other hand . . . not so much.

But Winn Dixie has to be the all time worst.

Greenlife is excellent, and of course the Grove Corner Market.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 AM

70 posts, read 148,951 times
I guess we are lucky to have one of the newer Ingles in South Asheville with a Starbucks, custom cut meat dept. organic choices, large produce dept. with fresh local choices, good deli and large selections. But we also have gone to Walmart near the airport when we have a lot of company because many of the items are much less. For example a gallon of juice is a $1.00 cheaper at Walmart for the same brand. Dairy items are less also among other things, but not the same selection and it is not as easy to shop at so it's only for special items.

Happier here than we thought we would ever be. Haven't been back to Florida for two years now. Miss friends and family but they come up here to visit us too.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,396,399 times
Not so happy here in NC where we live no one seems to want to work . I don't miss FL but I miss CA. Knew CA so well but we lived there for 25 years plus the grand kids are there.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,396,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This thread is kind of funny,people complaining about chain grocery stores and how they aren't as good as where they came from...

How about this,don't buy produce out of season and then you can eat locally grown?

You are from Beaufort, SC. My niece lives there with her 5 children and my brother (retired Navy) and his wife just built a home there. They love it.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM

91 posts, read 144,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I've frequently heard the same story about a "gentleman's agreement" between Publix and Harris Teeter as well. Pretty sure this is just an urban myth. In the most recent new article I saw about Publix coming to NC, the obstacle of building a distribution center was mentioned, but nothing else. Publix and Ingles are privately owned, but Harris Teeter is part of a publicly traded company.

Not to mention that Harris Teeter already has stores in Florida (Jacksonville area). Ingles and Publix are already competing in several markets.
As someone who has worked for Ingles and has spoken to Bob Jr several times.....I can assure you it is not (as far as between Ingles and Publix)

Ingles is lucky. If they didn't have this they would have been eaten up by Publix a while ago....still might happen when Bob Sr dies.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 PM

91 posts, read 144,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Publix is constantly rated one of the top grociers and places to work in the US...it's the real deal. Ingles isn't bad, but I shop at earth fare and Greenlife.....might as well since it's here. Good quality food and lot's of Organic and seasonal options.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 PM

63 posts, read 79,654 times
There's a fabulous Fresh Market in Asheville. I frequently drive two hours to shop there.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,853,121 times
Vote with your wallet or start your own grocery store, but the belly aching is rather unproductive. Last time I drove by an Ingles there were no cops out in the street making anyone turn in and shop there.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 PM

758 posts, read 1,543,867 times
We appreciate and support ALL of the local resources. They're not "good" or "bad" for us. They're just different, each with its own value.

We shop at Sam's primarily for staples that come in relatively large quantities: flats of canned corn, peas, tomato products, tuna, chicken... flats of fresh fruit... large bags of spinach and mushrooms... and the occasional odd item (decorative landscape sculptures, a grill, a fry pan, whatever we happen to see that we need).

We shop at Harris Teeter's, Green Life, and Fresh Market for important items we can't find elsewhere (Morningstar Sausage-Style Soy Crumbles, tasty nutritional yeast, whole grains like unhusked barley and whole grain couscous, 100% whole wheat bread flour, genuine Italian sausage, highest-quality produce).

We shop at Ingles for everything else (canned goods, limited produce, meat, paper products, herbs/spices, dairy products, beverages, prescription refills, etc.)

And, for lots of good reasons, we support our local farmers FIRST. We buy from farmers' markets--especially fresh fruits and vegetables--before driving off to ANY of these other sources.

We don't expect milk from a turnip, so we don't chastise a turnip for not producing milk. Ingles is not trying to be Greenlife, and Fresh Market is not trying to be Sam's. These stores are all satisfying different and important needs. We encourage quality and reasonable prices by purchasing quality items at reasonable prices WHEREVER we find them. We will never buy anything from anyone that our common sense tells us is overpriced. Organic turkey bacon for $12.00/pound (last week at Harris Teeter's)--???--we'll pass. If enough people pass, it won't be on the shelf long.

Give us your questions, and hope that helps someone.....

Jan & Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina