Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 PM

416 posts, read 1,632,582 times

Advertisements

for a few reasons i agree boone may be more of what we are looking for....but i wonder about activities available to children there compared to asheville. i'd also really love to hear what the homeschooling community is like in boone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 12:41 PM

25 posts, read 85,841 times
what does CRUNCHY mean in the first place?

well... I have seen 2 bedroom/1 bath homes for over $1200 a month too! How you gonna live in that if you have a growing family or a bunch of roommates?

Trust me, I've spoken to people who have lived in Asheville and forced to move from here, and went to Boone and prospered much more cuz of the bad AVL economy. The jobs are better in Boone too. Jobs are HORRIBLE in Asheville. Guess if are an affluent mommy or your dh has an excellent job you'll do well in Asheville, for the rest of us, we are merely struggling to get by!
Don't come to asheville unless yo have LOTS of cash... I don't want to see yet another bunch of people move here, only to be forced to move away a couple of months later, cuz we don't have a viable economy!

Had too many friends who have done that in recent years. It's sad.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:17 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
How long ago was that? That your friends moved from Asheville to Boone and prospered, I mean. We have been here several months and have gone on a total of three interviews. Interviews for jobs for which HUNDREDS of people applied for, and these were just regular run of the mill jobs. One paid 9, the other two paid 8.50.

Not trying to argue, but maybe we are looking for jobs in the wrong place.

Sorry, wild, I don't have specifics on the homeschooling crowd, I have just seen advertisements / flyers around town a couple times. I'll pay attention next time so I can give you the phone number of something.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
thanks so much for all the advice so far! we are aware more rural locations are more conservative...experienced that in both VT and MT. I just mean i'd liek to have some sort of community around with similar ideas. doesn't have to be the majority. we do homeschool, so the schools don't concern me. but it is nice to hear they are better then they havehere in SC...especially compared to the VT school system.

i do prefer more snow. also prefer to see each season. don't like traffic so much, but can tolerate it in town...but i want to live outside of town...

i found a few places i loved in burnsville... can anyone tell me about the area there. looks like 15 minutes east of mars hill. looking at mars hill area too...seeing alot ranches which i don't want. but i hear it is considered kinda "crunchy"

are there csa's and food coops around? anyone know if there is a homeschool community in both areas?

like how "crunchy" asheville seems, but wondering if it iis too built up for us. we used to live on 75 cares up north and no we will not get that down here...but need to feel we have more privacy then we could ever have in charleston. not to mention the heat, humidity and bugs i can't stand in SC. also miss the mountains...and TREES! how do the woods/forest areas compare to up north? i seriously miss the northern forest, nothing like it here near us in the lowcountry of course. and i don't like the crab grass they have here, lol. miss nice grassy meadows and places to get lost in nature. can't quite connect with the lowcountry enviornment. we need mountains!

so.... any word on burnsville? tell me more about mars hill too!

what are some cool little towns outside boone to look into?
Found this older thread for you, it has some nice pics, including a few around Mars Hill that I thought you might like to see:

Gimme the best small town in western NC!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,948 times
eco friendly, natural parenting, local/organic foods available, liberal, open minded folks about

I think that describes Asheville better than Boone. Asheville is more liberal minded about all sorts of things. Proof? Asheville seems to have attracted a large lesbian population in addition to other open minded lifestyles. Boone is about college kids so has some eco friendly 'tudes, but it also about monied folks who can afford ski chalets.

Check to see which counties (Asheville is in Buncombe county) voted Blue, and which voted Red during the last Presidential election. That may help you in your decision.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Not so sure what crunchy means, but Asheville, hardly gets any snow at all in recent years

what does CRUNCHY mean in the first place?
"Crunchy" comes from "granola", associated with the "hippie/liberal/often vegetarian/ecology" type sorts. asheville has plenty, but other parts of the mountains can be like "Deliverance". Most are in between, I think--"salt of the earth" types.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 17,027 times
Default don't love Charleston??

Oh well... then you'll probably love Boone, which seems to get more snow than we do in Asheville. And IF you come to Asheville, don't live on the south side -- for some reason snow just passes by us! Very frustrating!

However, in Boone, you'll have MAJOR snow and ice, road blocks, etc. Either city is gorgeous in fall, with theater/restaurant options. We have the Biltmore Estate, though!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 AM

416 posts, read 1,632,582 times
looks like way more options for a homeschooling family in asheville compared to boone... in terms of classes, groups, activities, etc. from a secular point of view. true?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 16,429 times
Hi -- We just moved to Asheville and love it. There are so many things to do here, no matter what your interests. From the Orange Peel, cited by Rolling Stone as one of the best rock venues in the US to the Asheville Lyric Opera, Symphony, and several good theater companies. Great restaurants, friendly, progressive population, and first rate planning. And the incredible North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement at the University, for those in that age group. I've started a blog all about Asheville, and you can see the first few positings at www.realtown.com/akellam/blog.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
We're also looking at Boone for a relocation possiblity. We need to be in a place with a college since my husband is in higher ed and ASU has a position in his field right now...haven't applied yet, though, and competition is fierce.

I happen to LOVE what I've soon of Boone so far online. And we're also the cruncy sort. We live about an hour north of Raleigh right now on 8 acres where we grow our own organics, raw milk, etc. We also homeschool, but I'm hoping to find a good public school for my kids when we get there. I'll continue to homeschool if the schools aren't great, though. I don't expect to be able to afford much land in the Boone area.

www.highcountrymomsquad.com is a great link for family activities in the area. There are also lots of other links on that site that show what is going on in the community in general. It seems to me that generally speaking, the WNC area is much more crunchy than here in the peidmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina