Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 27,061 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone...

I am pretty new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself and my story. I know that I will soon have many questions that I would love to have different opinions and views on.

The short and sweet of it is I have one dream in life and like most people my age, I want a home of my own. But unlike most people my age, I want to build it with my own two hands and put all of my strength, sweat, blood, tears, smiles and laughter into the process.

I first got into all types of natural building methods and sustainable building practices while working on my final project for my interior design degree.Then I met my husband who furthered my views into all things eco
and the joy that it can bring. Not only helping mama nature but using creativity to make life more comfortable.
(i.e. our motto is "one mans trash is another mans treasure")

So we are in the process of combining some of these natural methods to design our future home. We would like to
be as self-sufficient as possible...cautse every little helps and although some people may grimace at the thought
of people proclaiming to want o be "self-sufficient" i dont think i have ever done anything more rewarding than grow something from seed, nurture it and watch it transform, then harvest its fruits and use them to delight my
senses!(I am talking about fruit and veg, not the herbal smoke!!

I just feel like people have lost their way in this world. The joy of life for me is not in money and weekly shopping trips, but more like relaxing in a hammock with homemade soup and bread in my belly and some good tunes in the background.

If suitable, the second part of our dream is having a little business that will enable us to work for ourselves and give as much attention to our home and land that it will need. We would love to run a small "happy Camping" site which would consist of 3-4 yurts on our land that are cozy places for city dwellers to come for a week or a weekendand relax in nature, eat some good homemade food but not have to worry about tenting it. (its just not for some people!)

So where you and this forum come in, is that we are looking at western NC as potential place to settle down.
It ticks alot of boxes but WNC is only a fantasy in my head right now as i have never lived there, or even been there for that matter!
I dont actually KNOW what it is like.

We are living in the UK right now (my husband is British) but are trying to use this time as MEGA research into all the cracks and crevices that IS landowning and homebuilding!

So thats what this is....research. I am 28 and have never owned a home or land so i know NOTHING about how it works. All i know is that when i think about it a million questions buzz through my head! And my husband has
owned a home but only in the UK so he is just as lost as i am as to how the American system works!

I am really hoping to connect with some words of wisdom from all of you native/transplants Western North Carolians...
yea, I just made that word up!

I wont bombard you with questions yet, I just wanted to put my story out there.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!!!

Megan XXX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegirl2 View Post
Hello Everyone...

I am pretty new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself and my story. I know that I will soon have many questions that I would love to have different opinions and views on.

The short and sweet of it is I have one dream in life and like most people my age, I want a home of my own. But unlike most people my age, I want to build it with my own two hands and put all of my strength, sweat, blood, tears, smiles and laughter into the process.

I first got into all types of natural building methods and sustainable building practices while working on my final project for my interior design degree.Then I met my husband who furthered my views into all things eco
and the joy that it can bring. Not only helping mama nature but using creativity to make life more comfortable.
(i.e. our motto is "one mans trash is another mans treasure")

So we are in the process of combining some of these natural methods to design our future home. We would like to
be as self-sufficient as possible...cautse every little helps and although some people may grimace at the thought
of people proclaiming to want o be "self-sufficient" i dont think i have ever done anything more rewarding than grow something from seed, nurture it and watch it transform, then harvest its fruits and use them to delight my
senses!(I am talking about fruit and veg, not the herbal smoke!!

I just feel like people have lost their way in this world. The joy of life for me is not in money and weekly shopping trips, but more like relaxing in a hammock with homemade soup and bread in my belly and some good tunes in the background.

If suitable, the second part of our dream is having a little business that will enable us to work for ourselves and give as much attention to our home and land that it will need. We would love to run a small "happy Camping" site which would consist of 3-4 yurts on our land that are cozy places for city dwellers to come for a week or a weekendand relax in nature, eat some good homemade food but not have to worry about tenting it. (its just not for some people!)

So where you and this forum come in, is that we are looking at western NC as potential place to settle down.
It ticks alot of boxes but WNC is only a fantasy in my head right now as i have never lived there, or even been there for that matter!
I dont actually KNOW what it is like.

We are living in the UK right now (my husband is British) but are trying to use this time as MEGA research into all the cracks and crevices that IS landowning and homebuilding!

So thats what this is....research. I am 28 and have never owned a home or land so i know NOTHING about how it works. All i know is that when i think about it a million questions buzz through my head! And my husband has
owned a home but only in the UK so he is just as lost as i am as to how the American system works!

I am really hoping to connect with some words of wisdom from all of you native/transplants Western North Carolians...
yea, I just made that word up!

I wont bombard you with questions yet, I just wanted to put my story out there.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!!!

Megan XXX
Welcome Megan!

Check out my favorite City-Data thread about building your dream home

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 27,061 times
WOW....will have a better look when i have a day off...but what a gorgeous piece of land!!!! Amazing story!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,692 times
Wanna be real inspired? I've been following his blog for several years now I think... gotta love it!!
Try'n start it from the very beginning rather then what it opens to
Building a timberframe home from scratch.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Wanna be real inspired? I've been following his blog for several years now I think... gotta love it!!
Try'n start it from the very beginning rather then what it opens to
Building a timberframe home from scratch.
ANDY!! Good to see you here, wasn't sure if you were still around How are YOUR plans for moving to Asheville coming along??

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
ANDY!! Good to see you here, wasn't sure if you were still around How are YOUR plans for moving to Asheville coming along??
Hey LM...good to see you too...hope the house is coming together for you just like you hoped....and then some.

Me? Took the house off the market for a while and it's re-listed again at a new and improved price...for whom I'm not sure...we shall see. Just trying to ride this thing out best I can.
Thanks for asking...hopefully I'll see you down there one day soon.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Hey LM...good to see you too...hope the house is coming together for you just like you hoped....and then some.

Me? Took the house off the market for a while and it's re-listed again at a new and improved price...for whom I'm not sure...we shall see. Just trying to ride this thing out best I can.
Thanks for asking...hopefully I'll see you down there one day soon.
Going to send you an email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina