U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 PM

20,560 posts, read 22,721,792 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My wife and I have been in the Raleigh area about 6 months and we are already looking at the mountain area for a home.

We are going out to visit the weekend of the 17th and plan on doing a scouting of the places around Asheville (Black Mountain, Brevard, Waynesville, etc) and even Statesville.

Our question is, since most of what we have seen of NC is beautiful, are there any places in WNC that we should cross off our possible places to move list?

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:34 PM

416 posts, read 1,419,848 times
well, there is a paper mill in canton... so i crossed that off our list.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
well, there is a paper mill in canton... so i crossed that off our list.

Too stinky?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Greetings,

My wife and I have been in the Raleigh area about 6 months and we are already looking at the mountain area for a home.

We are going out to visit the weekend of the 17th and plan on doing a scouting of the places around Asheville (Black Mountain, Brevard, Waynesville, etc) and even Statesville.

Our question is, since most of what we have seen of NC is beautiful, are there any places in WNC that we should cross off our possible places to move list?

THANKS!!!
Is this a second home or do you want to move completely? Does your job allow you to live anywhere or would you need to find a new one?

What are your criteria for a home? And if this is a second home how far of a drive do you want to have from your primary home to your second home for getaways? Some parts of western NC will be quite a haul on a Friday afternoon for a weekend getaway.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM

513 posts, read 1,051,098 times
Quote:
Greetings,

THANKS!!!
It's all relevant to your tolerance for certain things...

Environmental and Other Concerns Questions

Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,512,591 times
Quote:
Greetings,

THANKS!!!

Statesville isn't in the mountains. It is in Iredell county about 40 miles north of Charlotte. It's probably 90+ miles from Asheville.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,244,394 times
Quote:

THANKS!!!
What is your criteria? Different people have different preferences.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Is this a second home or do you want to move completely? Does your job allow you to live anywhere or would you need to find a new one?

What are your criteria for a home? And if this is a second home how far of a drive do you want to have from your primary home to your second home for getaways? Some parts of western NC will be quite a haul on a Friday afternoon for a weekend getaway.
We would be moving as in only home. We realize some places will be untouchable economically. We are just wondering if we should not bother looking at one place or another due to crime and heavy industry (like the paper mill)....

We are teachers and the only limitation is which county is hiring or will be in the fall....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
What is your criteria? Different people have different preferences.
A house in the area of mountains? Ranch preferably (one level) cabin style. Fenced yard to keep our hounds from chasing that deer or BEAR!! into the back 40.

Peace and serenity? or maybe its senility?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Quote:
We would be moving as in only home. We realize some places will be untouchable economically. We are just wondering if we should not bother looking at one place or another due to crime and heavy industry (like the paper mill)....

We are teachers and the only limitation is which county is hiring or will be in the fall....

A house in the area of mountains? Ranch preferably (one level) cabin style. Fenced yard to keep our hounds from chasing that deer or BEAR!! into the back 40.

Peace and serenity? or maybe its senility?

I completely understand your desire - it is mine too

As teachers I would recommend you check out areas in Watauga and Transylvania counties (good schools)

Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 PM

616 posts, read 1,535,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I completely understand your desire - it is mine too

As teachers I would recommend you check out areas in Watauga and Transylvania counties (good schools)
Transylvania County is gorgeous! One thing to consider - real estate can be more expensive and wages can be lower than you'd expect given the cost of living. If you both secure jobs and are in a reasonably debt free situation, you could do OK.

I live in the Piedmont (Charlotte area) only because I had to move from WNC to make a living and be able to afford to buy a home. Otherwise I'd be back in the mountains of Macon County (Franklin).

Best wishes and good luck on your research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina