Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnothesame View Post

I mean.. gosh, you cannot get much more south than Florida...
While FL is geographically the southernmost of the 48 (Hawaii is actually the southernmost state in the US), nobody claims Florida is "Southern" culturally--at least not south of Orlando. The saying is that the farther South you go in FL, the most "North" you get culturally, and most academics who write about the South do not include South Florida in that designation, simply because it is a culture all its own, with a mix of NYC and Latin (and some others) but little "Southern". There is more to geography is what is "Southern" with a capital S--as I said, Hawaii is the southernmost state in the US and nobody considers Hawaiians "Southern".

Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
^^^ You are correct. SFL is FAR from southern. Unfortunately.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
While FL is geographically the southernmost of the 48 (Hawaii is actually the southernmost state in the US), nobody claims Florida is "Southern" culturally--at least not south of Orlando. The saying is that the farther South you go in FL, the most "North" you get culturally, and most academics who write about the South do not include South Florida in that designation, simply because it is a culture all its own, with a mix of NYC and Latin (and some others) but little "Southern". There is more to geography is what is "Southern" with a capital S--as I said, Hawaii is the southernmost state in the US and nobody considers Hawaiians "Southern".
Go to Vero Beach. They don't stand for Battle Hymn of the Republic, it is a Yankee song, lots of Confederate flags, it used to be a sundown town.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM

37 posts, read 85,680 times
What is it with the attitude towards "Yankees?"

Do people in WNC automatically hate people from NY without even giving them a chance?

I'm asking because we are thinking about relocating from upstate NY in a few years but I'd hate to uproot my whole life and move to a place where I am judged and hated just because I lived in NY!

Don't people try to get to know someone first and see what kind of person they are before dismissing them right off the bat?

I've always thought of NC as the perfect place to retire but now I'm not so sure! Can you enlighten me?

Just wondering!

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 PM

132 posts, read 486,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
What is it with the attitude towards "Yankees?"

Do people in WNC automatically hate people from NY without even giving them a chance?

I'm asking because we are thinking about relocating from upstate NY in a few years but I'd hate to uproot my whole life and move to a place where I am judged and hated just because I lived in NY!

Don't people try to get to know someone first and see what kind of person they are before dismissing them right off the bat?

I've always thought of NC as the perfect place to retire but now I'm not so sure! Can you enlighten me?

Just wondering!

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions!
I live in Mass and even I hate New Yorkers.

But I'd give you a chance because your from upstate NY though.

I lived in FL for a few years and now I'm back in Mass and although I don't miss the 100% humidity summers I do miss the people. Northeasterners can be so damned uptight.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post
I live in Mass and even I hate New Yorkers.

But I'd give you a chance because your from upstate NY though.

I lived in FL for a few years and now I'm back in Mass and although I don't miss the 100% humidity summers I do miss the people. Northeasterners can be so damned uptight.

LOL, I live in FL and I know when some people move down here from NY, and sometimes the next question is, "what part?" And seriously, there IS a difference between those from NYC and those from upstate NY. The ones (not always), but the ones from upstate NY seem to be a bit friendlier, more laid-back, etc.

And being that I live in FL (and born here), I know exactly what you mean about some northerners being so uptight. I remember when many parts of Central FL were still laid-back, friendly, and southern. Now? Sometimes I dont even know what country I'm in. NC stole most of our natives! But I certainly cant blame them. Things changed drastically here the last 5-10 yrs especially. I lived in Asheville and I want to move back too!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 AM

37 posts, read 85,680 times
LOL! Maybe the reason we New Yorkers are so uptight is because we're so sick and tired of snow, snow, and more snow, endless winters, shoverling and plowing snow, and freezing our Northern butts off!!!!!

I am used to these long miserable winters up here, but I'm getting pretty sick of them -- more and more so with each passing year. Also, I love to garden and would look forward to a longer growing season.

Of all the vacations we've been on, I think the ones spent in NC were the best (except for the US Virgin Islands -- but that's a whole 'nuther story. It's too expensive to move there, and too expensive to live there and I don't particularly like big hurricanes!)

I am really enjoying your responses and I am ever so grateful for them!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
LOL! Maybe the reason we New Yorkers are so uptight is because we're so sick and tired of snow, snow, and more snow, endless winters, shoverling and plowing snow, and freezing our Northern butts off!!!!!

I am used to these long miserable winters up here, but I'm getting pretty sick of them -- more and more so with each passing year. Also, I love to garden and would look forward to a longer growing season.

Of all the vacations we've been on, I think the ones spent in NC were the best (except for the US Virgin Islands -- but that's a whole 'nuther story. It's too expensive to move there, and too expensive to live there and I don't particularly like big hurricanes!)

I am really enjoying your responses and I am ever so grateful for them!

That's possible, but, in FL it doesnt snow, and they still whine and complain a lot. You'd think they would want to be back in NY the way they complain. Not trying to step on any toes just telling you my thoughts and what I've seen and heard.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
The OP is on crack! Asheville is an awesome city!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 PM

It is awesome, I do agree. The OP isnt even from FL but from Massachusetts. How old do you think these things get down here in FL where all the northerners complain that FL isnt like NY/NJ/Illinois/Massachusetts/etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina