Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,425,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
About the rude folks that got to you- they were probably from out of state too.
You will find very few natives downtown, so the odds of this being the case is probably very high.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 PM

765 posts, read 2,559,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You will find very few natives downtown, so the odds of this being the case is probably very high.
Too bad, The Mule and I and our wives had dinner at Zambras sat night and I was wondering if you were maybe at the next table and we just didn't know who to look for. All of the people I ran into were not natives including my realtor. Even the lady we bought our house from was from out of state and the guy next door was from near where I live in VA. The maids at the Residence Inn were hispanic and we know the owner of Zambras is from out of town. I talked to one of the craftsman at the craft show at the arboretum on Sunday and he lives in Black Mtn but is from Wisconsin! So where does one go to find a native anymore--you guys must be getting close to endangered species status!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,756,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design&Build View Post
LOL, is this supposed to steer folks away? Sorry, not buying it. Not trying to be rude, so please dont take it that way, but I spend a lot of time in Asheville... I dont see any of this "rudeness" that you and VB are talking about.

Not suppossed to steer anyone away, I hardly believe this forum will make people stop moving here. Its simply a comparison. If you were here say even 5-7 years ago and then came back today you would notice a huge difference. I live in asheville and see downtown daily, it has changed. The rudeness may well be by tourists but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Now dont get me wrong its not like your in NYC or anything. Just that you never ever heard people honk their horns for anything a few years ago. Now it sometimes has more of the hurry up I'm trying to get somwhere attitude as oppossed to the oh whats another 5 minutes attitude.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

very true, I am not native but been here a long time. The only reason I see town so often is because of my work. But I do love town when it doesn't look a concert parking lot.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
I love reading these threads and posts to learn about the area; it's like a train wreck that you can't stop watching.

So in summary, the Ashevillians love what Floridians did to their home prices and the money they brought into the local economy, but the people themselves, well they just hate them and wish they'd get the heck out. And to think I entertained the idea of making Florida my winter residence and Asheville my summer residence. Guess that means I would have Florida plates, doesn't it?

And now that the Floridians are largely broke and suffering from hard times, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out in a downward spiral, much like the Lake Lure/HGTV dream house threads. After all, the days of "wow, if my house made me this much money, how much would two houses, or three, or four make me?" are clearly over for years to come.

I dont believe anyone likes what floridians did to the home prices The only way a rising home price helps anyone is if they move to a cheaper area to live. It raised all the prices. If my house was worth 100k and went to 200k well that 200k will now still only buy me the same sort of house. This helps no one.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Too bad, The Mule and I and our wives had dinner at Zambras sat night and I was wondering if you were maybe at the next table and we just didn't know who to look for. All of the people I ran into were not natives including my realtor. Even the lady we bought our house from was from out of state and the guy next door was from near where I live in VA. The maids at the Residence Inn were hispanic and we know the owner of Zambras is from out of town. I talked to one of the craftsman at the craft show at the arboretum on Sunday and he lives in Black Mtn but is from Wisconsin! So where does one go to find a native anymore--you guys must be getting close to endangered species status!

There at home cooking with friends and family because there jobs here in asheville dont support a lifestyle of dinner at Zambras and a room at the renaissance. No offence meant to you. Its just a tough area to make a decent living if you don't arrive with some startup capital.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:23 PM

155 posts, read 157,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Not suppossed to steer anyone away, I hardly believe this forum will make people stop moving here. Its simply a comparison. If you were here say even 5-7 years ago and then came back today you would notice a huge difference. I live in asheville and see downtown daily, it has changed. The rudeness may well be by tourists but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Now dont get me wrong its not like your in NYC or anything. Just that you never ever heard people honk their horns for anything a few years ago. Now it sometimes has more of the hurry up I'm trying to get somwhere attitude as oppossed to the oh whats another 5 minutes attitude.
I believe you, I just havent experienced what the OP is talking about. I lived there until 2006, then moved back to FL. (I'm a native Floridian). But we miss Asheville and may move back. I hope it hasnt changed too much, but it will be a big step up from Orlando (where we are now). Talk about rude? And talking about hardly ANY natives left? Check out FL. Other than northern FL, navigate through Orlando, Tampa or S FL and you wouldnt even know what state (sometimes what country) you're even in anymore.

I'm in Real Estate Development (Proj. Mngt and Estimating), so we're hoping that the construction market picks up.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM

120 posts, read 389,207 times
Having visited Asheville two years ago with Florida plates on the car, we were delighted that no one honked at us the entire visit! In fact, they even politely let us into other lanes in a similar fashion to what we are accustomed to coming from SW PA. We found people to be very nice, friendly and polite, in general. Our license plate didn't seem to matter.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 PM

155 posts, read 157,526 times
I agree, SteelCityGirl57.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 PM

134 posts, read 412,018 times
I remember visiting Asheville sometime around 1993 or '94 and thought "what a beautiful area" ,the people seemed very friendly and the Biltmore was magnificent. I guess the area has changed a lot in the past 15 or so years! I've always wanted to go back and visit someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina