Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times

Advertisements

I'm typing this from our hotel room in downtown Asheville. We intended to stay for two nights but instead we'll move on after just one night. We found the city too crowded, the drivers rude, leaning too easily on the horn, and everyone is so somber-faced. It's also impossible to find a parking space here. I say all this after spending a month in the Boston area. Asheville was somewhere we chose to stop and spend a few nights as we drove south to our home in Florida. I've heard so many good things about Asheville but we're just not seeing or feeling it. The mountain views on the way here were awesome, so peaceful and bucolic. The last thing we expected was snarled up traffic and rudeness when we got here. Just our humble opinion. Yeah, I know.. don't let the door hit me on the way...... Just saying.. there are a lot worse places than Florida!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I'm typing this from our hotel room in downtown Asheville. We intended to stay for two nights but instead we'll move on after just one night. We found the city too crowded, the drivers rude, leaning too easily on the horn, and everyone is so somber-faced. It's also impossible to find a parking space here. I say all this after spending a month in the Boston area. Asheville was somewhere we chose to stop and spend a few nights as we drove south to our home in Florida. I've heard so many good things about Asheville but we're just not seeing or feeling it. The mountain views on the way here were awesome, so peaceful and bucolic. The last thing we expected was snarled up traffic and rudeness when we got here. Just our humble opinion. Yeah, I know.. don't let the door hit me on the way...... Just saying.. there are a lot worse places than Florida!
lol that's b/c NC is filled with New Yorkers now.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
lol that's b/c NC is filled with New Yorkers now.
Well then it makes sense. lol

We used to live in Northern Virginia, crowded Old Town Alexandria, and we didn't find it as frenetic as Asheville. Everyone's in a hurry. Where are they all going?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Well then it makes sense. lol

We used to live in Northern Virginia, crowded Old Town Alexandria, and we didn't find it as frenetic as Asheville. Everyone's in a hurry. Where are they all going?
beats the crap out of me. If they were smart, they'd be going back to New York.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 PM

155 posts, read 158,646 times
Two things FL and NC have in common, where many of its residents originally came from (NY). I've never found Asheville people to be rude or unfriendly, and certainly not on the roads. I find it much, much better than driving in many areas of FL (especially South FL and Orlando).

Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 PM

155 posts, read 158,646 times
Quote:
I spent close to 10 years and I can't think of one time that I was honked at, or someone laid on the horn to me. Never. Are you sure you were in Asheville and not Charlotte?

Old 10-02-2009, 05:11 AM

I'm speaking of Asheville, downtown, and yes, they honked at us, honked at each other, honked if the light turned green for a nano second and you didn't step on the gas... annoying. And parking! It was Thursday evening, Oct. 1st, not weekend, not summer season, and there was no spot to be had without paying $5.00 and the lots looked full too. We're checking out this morning and heading to Ponte Vedra for the last leg of our trip from Boston back to Vero Beach. I expected Asheville to be a little gem in the midst of rural NC, something like Roanoke, VA, but instead it was a tiny spot of urban blight on the mountainside.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 33,517 times
Yeah, well it wasn't that way 5 years ago. A lot of your fellow Floridians have been moving here in droves - I guess all the rude, bad drivers. Hopefully Vero Beach is a kinder gentler place now, because that's where I'm moving next! Asheville HAS been ruined by too many people. But do give it another try one of these days, it's a great town-

Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,563 times
Well, so this is not a total loss, could we trouble you to do us the favor of spreading the word down in Florida about how horrible it is here?

I think the fall season here is worse than summer for the density of people and tourists. It brings changing leaves, which attracts throngs of tourists, some of whom are either impatient themselves or oblivious to the fact they are acting as breathing road blocks (i.e. they think are the only ones out there), which taxes the patience of other tourists and locals, which leads to "annoyance and displeasure," as John Wayne would have said. It's the time of year I mumble a quote from my old high school baseball coach, "act like you've done this before."

As a result, I both look forward to the fall (for the colors) and dread it at the same time. It sounds like you may have inadvertently wandered into the middle of that hornets' nest.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,214 times
That's funny, we were just down there last weekend and came home Tues. after buying a house and had just the opposite experience. Don't remember a single horn blast, got a parking spot right in front of the Thai Basil at the Grove Arcade for dinner at 6 PM and only ran into traffic on Hendersonville Rd in Arden at 4:30 PM but by 5 PM it was empty. I live in Manassas right now so I know traffic congestion and Asheville has nothing to compare to my commute on I66 and the FFX County Parkway or the 24/7 snarl on Sudley Rd through Manassas. Everybody we ran into was extremely nice and polite (except for one counter person at the Well-Bred in Weaverville) and it all really confirmed our decision to move there after vising for 5 years and getting to know the place. One problem you might have run into is the disdain for Florida license plates that natives have--they refer to you guys as Foridiots. Showing up in Asheville with Florida plates is like going deer hunting while wearing a 12 point rack on your head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina