U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 AM

416 posts, read 1,413,424 times

Advertisements

Looks lke it is gonna rain the whole time we are in Boone before we leave for Asheville...

So is there anything to do if the weather is not great? With kids....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM

583 posts, read 1,145,432 times
We are going to be in the same boat!
Tomorrow we are driving to Blowing Rock and will be staying in a cabin with out 4 year old and 6 year old...it is going to rain a lot, and now they are talking about a little snow over the weekend...might have to re-think the trip to Tweetsie Railorad...LOL!
I just will pack warm clothes, boots, coats and ponchos. Darnit - we are going to enjoy this trip!
I googled and printed detailed city maps of Boone and Blowing Rock. We can explore. Might drive over to Grandfather Mountain. Maybe take the kids to Mystery Hill.
If you get any good ideas, please let us know!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:37 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,542,767 times
Be sure to drive to the nearby town of Valle Crucis, even in the rain, the setting couldn't be more beautiful. In Valle Crucis is the original "Mast Store," which it has branches thruout WNC, it's an old-timey well-stocked (with toys too) hardware store. I recall my mother bought me the cutest stuffed animal in that store years ago. I used to go down to it to buy gifts and such, so it's not your "normal" store, really fun to go thru.

If it snows, you could go "tubing" at Sugar Mountain, a little ways past Valle Crucis going towards Banner Elk. Kids and adults alike ride down a hill in a big tube, going fast down the snowy slope. If it doesn't snow, you could call ahead and see if they "make" snow for that part of the ski lodge place. Let's see, the above poster mentioned Tweetsie Railroad, a definite must for children, and I think sometimes they put on a theatrical production of the Wizard of Oz somewhere up near or in Boone, do a search online about that. In fact, pull up a few websites on Boone, surely it will have kiddie stuff to do listed on there.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 56,927,727 times
Todd General Store
toddgeneralstore - Todd General StoreĀ*3866 Railroad Grade Rd. Todd, North Carolina Ā*
Mast General Store
MAST General Store: Quality Merchandise, Fair Prices and Friendly Service
Museum of North Carolina Natural Minerals
North Carolina Mineral and Gem Festival - Museum of North Carolina Minerals
Linville Caverns
http://www.linvillecaverns.com/

A cool thing to do with the kids is mystery Hill
Mystery Hill

Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM

3,730 posts, read 6,195,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
If it snows, you could go "tubing" at Sugar Mountain, a little ways past Valle Crucis going towards Banner Elk. Kids and adults alike ride down a hill in a big tube, going fast down the snowy slope. If it doesn't snow, you could call ahead and see if they "make" snow for that part of the ski lodge place.
It's a bit early for Sugar Mtn to start making snow for the ski slopes or the tubing run... even if it's cold enough this weekend for the real thing. They have to be reasonably assured of an extended period of cold weather, not just a day or two. Weather permitting, Sugar usually starts making snow at or before Thanksgiving, and strives to be the first ski area to open in NC each year. In fact, my hubby's favorite Thanksgiving dinner is "a turkey sandwich in the base lodge."

Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 PM

451 posts, read 1,342,448 times
On Sat. is the Wooly Worm Festival in Banner Elk and then head the back road to Valle Crucis to the Valle Fair. I would try Tweetsie Friday. Check Ray's Weather Center for the best weather information in the area.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:12 PM

we actually rented a cabin in valle crucis. it was so beautiful! i feel very lucky to have found it
we did alot of driving and short hikes between showers. kids did some mining at foggy mountain gem mine, walked around downtown boone, wanted to go horseback riding, but the rain had other plans for us. good thing the cabin was so awesome we didn't want to leave it and entertained ourselves there! really loved the area, over in asheville for the weekend now....

Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,542,767 times
Thanks for the update, Wildflower, plenty of us have been following your activities via the forum here. Amazing good fortune staying at Valle Crucis! We'll also be wanting to hear how the leaves differ going from Boone's higher elevation down to Asheville. GG

Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 PM

yes, we LOVED valle crucis. truly amazing place. much more color up in boone then asheville. seems peak in boone and just starting to turn in asheville. more details of course to follow when i get back home, another day on the road and then i will give you my full scoop

Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 PM

583 posts, read 1,145,432 times
Just got back to SC tonight and we had a GREAT time! Thursday spent the day at Grandfather Mtn. It was foggy, but we did it anyway. Enjoyed the Wildlife Reserve and visitors center after the bridge. Friday we went to the Mses Cone house and then we drove to Marion and to Linville Caverns. Very interesting and great fun! Yesterday we explored Boone and had a great time downtown, Then we drove over to Valle Crucis. The fair was going on but the kids were wiped out so we just enjoyed the scenery. Today we left Blowing Rock and took the Blue Ridge Prkway all the way to Mount Mitchell, Could not believe all the SNOW!!! Of course, it was only two inches, but it was beautiful and the kids had a great time until we were frozen and had to come back down. Our plan was to take the Parkway all the way to Asheville and then south to upstate SC, but the parkway is closed just past the entrance to Mount Mitchell and you have to turn around and go to hwy 80. All in all, it was GREAT!!!! We saw beautiful Fall leaves, hiked a little, caverns, bats, bears and othe wildlife at Grandfather - not to mention the cool bridge. Snow, you name it! Tweetsie is fun, but we skipped it this year. The kids understood - it was just a bit too cold but not nearly as rainy as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina