Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
But why move to new place because you like it so much and then change it by bringing the same attitude of where you came from.
I think its called human nature. Get out your history book and see what happened when the English established Jamestown, the Pilgrims came to New England (notice the name), the French came to Canada and Louisiana (they still speak French or a version of it in both places and called it New France), the pioneers went everywhere in North America and carried their culture with them. You'd have to assume that all these folks and those coming to WNC were going there for the culture alone for them not to take theirs along. Very often folks move to a new area for many reasons other than to become one with the current residents. More often than not it is to establish their own cultural identity, or maybe they just want to get out of hurricane alley. In most cases they weren't at all concerned about the cultures they were replacing and usually just swept it aside. To paraphrase the Borg, "Your cultural identity will be assimilated".

Last edited by Cofga; 11-05-2009 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,563 times
The people who draw the ire are those who have no interest in exchanging cultures or melding them. They have their culture and it is up to everyone else to bend to fit. Frankly, it is beyond the normal human nature.

It reminds me of a trip Mrs. Mule and I took to San Miguel, Mexico. Lovely place that has become home to many American ex-patriots (many of whom we suspected were tax evaders). They were proud of the fact that they lived there 15-20 years and did not even speak enough Spanish to carry on a basic conversation with the locals. Two years later a good friend of mine and his wife went down their for a vacation. One common observation we had was that we thought dealings with the ex-patriots were the least enjoyable part of the area.

In essence, they defined the Ugly Americans. It could be the exact same attitude.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Life isn't just about ME.
That's exactly right, life isn't just about YOU. That's why you should show the other drivers on the road the courtesy and respect they deserve by paying attention to the flow of traffic and moving over to the slow lane when you're not passing anyone. It's just common decency to consider the other guy or gal.

Slogging along in the passing lane when you're not passing anyone is inconsiderate and disrespectful.

In any case, you've missed the point entirely (with the passing thing just being one example).

"Idiot" is in the eye of the beholder. And "Floridiot" is a derogatory and disrespectful term, despite attempts to rationalize and condone its usage. Just like "dumb redneck" and "hick" are derogatory terms, despite the many ways in which one could rationalize it.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
patients my friend ........... remember the reason people move here? Laid back, relaxed pace of life, nice people. The speed limit is a limit not the minimum.
I don't have any patients. I do have patience however.

But there is a difference between "laid back" and "oblivious to other people on the road".

Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
The people who draw the ire are those who have no interest in exchanging cultures or melding them. They have their culture and it is up to everyone else to bend to fit. Frankly, it is beyond the normal human nature.

It reminds me of a trip Mrs. Mule and I took to San Miguel, Mexico. Lovely place that has become home to many American ex-patriots (many of whom we suspected were tax evaders). They were proud of the fact that they lived there 15-20 years and did not even speak enough Spanish to carry on a basic conversation with the locals. Two years later a good friend of mine and his wife went down their for a vacation. One common observation we had was that we thought dealings with the ex-patriots were the least enjoyable part of the area.

In essence, they defined the Ugly Americans. It could be the exact same attitude.

I agree that there is a difference between folks who cling to their cultures and those who show blatant disrespect for others. For some folks sensitivity is not in their vocabulary! But the same goes for some asheville natives who basically seem to want everybody without a multi-generational NC pedigree to just leave.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
And did you live in FL?
Nope. I'm a damn Yankee furiner, though I've lived most of my life in the South.

Speaking of Yankees!!!!

2009 World Series: Four familiar New York Yankees lead team to 27th title -- MLB Playoffs - ESPN

Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
I think its called human nature. Get out your history book and see what happened when the English established Jamestown, the Pilgrims came to New England (notice the name), the French came to Canada and Louisiana (they still speak French or a version of it in both places and called it New France.
But, last time I checked, Western NC was NOT called "New Florida"!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,857 times
Enough with this damn attitude of human nature BS. Does that justify the destruction of Native Americans? Indigenous Australians? Stealing people for slaves from Africa??

Its selfishness, why should someone else move out of your way on the road? Why is it not that YOU should wait?

Selfish attitudes of I can do as I please are making this area a minute resemblance of what it used to be and what makes it great. Why did you move to friendly, happy Asheville if you are bringing your get out of my way attitude along?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 AM

[quote=Cofga;11492404]I think its called human nature. Get out your history book and see what happened when the English established Jamestown, the Pilgrims came to New England (notice the name)

yes they destroyed the already existing culture .

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
That's exactly right, life isn't just about YOU. That's why you should show the other drivers on the road the courtesy and respect they deserve by paying attention to the flow of traffic and moving over to the slow lane when you're not passing anyone. It's just common decency to consider the other guy or gal.

Slogging along in the passing lane when you're not passing anyone is inconsiderate and disrespectful.

In any case, you've missed the point entirely (with the passing thing just being one example).

"Idiot" is in the eye of the beholder. And "Floridiot" is a derogatory and disrespectful term, despite attempts to rationalize and condone its usage. Just like "dumb redneck" and "hick" are derogatory terms, despite the many ways in which one could rationalize it.

If used to generalize people for no reason. Not when they are disrespectful of other people, its a description.

Assuming someone should move for you is assuming you deserve to be on the road more than they do. They are in front of you so apparently they got there first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina