Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 13,742 times

Advertisements

We'll be with out toddler( an active fun boy)
our plan is to drive slowly and visit as many cool places as possible in our way, not expensive ones will be better
and also planning the best place to stay for Christmas ( the whole trip will be from Dec 24 in the morning up to January 4th
Thanks so much in advance for your suggestions
Loni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:18 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I'd probably go I-95 to I-26. We like to stop in St Augustine, Savannah's not too far off the interstate, etc... Most of the trip is kinda boring until you get up to I-26 and the mountains.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM

291 posts, read 1,204,052 times
I would definitely go up I-4 to I-26.
When coming from Asheville to Orlando in the past we always liked to stop over in St. Augustine ~ the Alligator Farm there is awesome! I don't know how old your toddler is but in Columbia S.C. ~ on the way to Asheville (about 2 hours from Asheville) is the South's largest children's museum ~ it's calle Ed Venture. It is so much fun!!
That is pretty much it ~~ not too many exciting places on the way. We detoured to Savannah once but the kids didn't care for it.
Anyway ~ have fun and don't forget to go to the Grove Park Inn and look at all the incredible Gingerbread houses!!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
I would definitely go up I-4 to I-26.
When coming from Asheville to Orlando in the past we always liked to stop over in St. Augustine ~ the Alligator Farm there is awesome! I don't know how old your toddler is but in Columbia S.C. ~ on the way to Asheville (about 2 hours from Asheville) is the South's largest children's museum ~ it's calle Ed Venture. It is so much fun!!
That is pretty much it ~~ not too many exciting places on the way. We detoured to Savannah once but the kids didn't care for it.
Anyway ~ have fun and don't forget to go to the Grove Park Inn and look at all the incredible Gingerbread houses!!

I-4 to 26? From Ft Lauderdale? Definitely not. She'd have to go the turnpike to I-4, then over to 95, and then up to 26. I mean, dont get me wrong, that is a way to get up there, but I would think it would be much longer and the scenery is terrible. You dont really get into anything interesting (imo) until you get up to St Augustine and Savannah areas anyway, and then it's very boring again until you get up to the mountains.

Just a suggestion to the OP, I'd go 95, especially coming from Ft Lauderdale and avoid I-4 altogether.

Hi Earthfaries. You used to live in Asheville, and you now live in Orlando?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I-4 to 26? From Ft Lauderdale? Definitely not. She'd have to go the turnpike to I-4, then over to 95, and then up to 26. I mean, dont get me wrong, that is a way to get up there, but I would think it would be much longer and the scenery is terrible. You dont really get into anything interesting (imo) until you get up to St Augustine and Savannah areas anyway, and then it's very boring again until you get up to the mountains.

Just a suggestion to the OP, I'd go 95, especially coming from Ft Lauderdale and avoid I-4 altogether.

Hi Earthfaries. You used to live in Asheville, and you now live in Orlando?
Oops!!! That's what I meant, lol. I did NOT mean I-4 at all!!!
I meant 95 to 26

Hi ComSense Yes, moved here to Florida in Jan. and loving it. We're not in Orlando though ~ West of it about 30 miles.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Oops!!! That's what I meant, lol. I did NOT mean I-4 at all!!!
I meant 95 to 26

Hi ComSense Yes, moved here to Florida in Jan. and loving it. We're not in Orlando though ~ West of it about 30 miles.
Ok, cool. We are native Floridians who lived in Asheville during our college years. We miss it up there a lot!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Ok, cool. We are native Floridians who lived in Asheville during our college years. We miss it up there a lot!
We don't miss it because we had had enough of it, 20 years , lol.
The only thing I did miss a bit was around Halloween I missed that season change ~ but we made our own great family memories doing the things we love here in Florida and we're so glad we're here!
Asheville is a beautiful place...well, it is beautiful but the pollution is taking that beauty away

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina