Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdnva View Post
According to the stats, most of the reason for the high crime rate is theft & burglary.

As for feeling safe? My experience was during the middle of the day at a festival, so that's not any way to gauge. The comment about crime was based dolely on the stats in the city-data table. However, to be clear, I didn't see ANY negatives about my experience in Hendersonville, other than the possibility of rapidly escalating land prices because of all the people moving there. To me, it looked like a very nice & interesting place to live.
The thefts may be related to the number of seasonal homes in the HVL area. We have many residents who only live here from April until November. Sitting ducks, unless they make arrangements to have their property watched during the other 5 months of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 11:38 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblewheel View Post
I am in Atlanta, and Want to move to the Asheville area.

I am looking for the next area that is about to sprout. An area where land is reasonably priced but will blossom in say 5 years. How ever an area with a nearby grocery store, eateries etc. This area shall be within 10 minutes of the interstate, and have a pleasant home town feel to it. A community that one can be proud to be a part of. I enjoy art, gardening, antiquing, a near by Starbucks (5 miles or less, my S.O. LOVES Chai Tea Frapuchino's), and it must also have a home depot or Lowes within 10 miles. A mall within 20-30 minutes. Although not a requirement I also very much enjoy an international diet, particularly Asian in all of it's forms, though I am willing to drive a distance to enjoy this.

Ideally I would love to buy about 2-3 acres. Hopefully to build a small business and a home on (commercial) but still be affordable.

Also being in Atlanta I have noticed where ever there is a large population of latin immigrants (legal and illegal) property values plummet, and crime escalates. Based on what has been said on this thread I would probably want to stay clear of Hendersonville. However I must wonder if this is not the sign of things to come throughout the US. Although they are some great people with great family values, and awesome cuisine when you get the real stuff.

I would also prefer to be in an area that has a family values christian aura to it. I know my county (Cobb County Georgia) is known for very Right Winged stances on things and I like that feel. And if I lost that I would miss it.

I am also an avid motorcycleist and would prefer to be as close to the open 2 lane twisty roads as possible and not have to go through the city to get to them. But most likely due to the area it would not matter where I was it would all be twisty.

Any ideas what satellite towns/counties would fit the bill there?

Thanks for your time.
Wobble.
My pick would be Madison County. Close to AVL, but not too close. Towns in the county: Hot Springs, Mars Hill, and Marshall.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-28-2007 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 PM
iva

24 posts, read 84,077 times
Smile Asheville move...

If you like Asheville, there are loads of rents...high to very reasonable. leicester is nice but not eveyone likes it there, I guess...Swannanoa, Black Mountain and Arden are close and all good places...I think Black Mountain is beautiful...Lake James...wonderful...East Asheville is great but I hear that West Asheville isn't so hot...crime-wise, anyway, that's what I've heard...also some people like living close to downtown...I'd rather live in a small town away from Asheville but if you have your heart set on Asheville, plenty of places. Read up about your driver's licenses...there is a one-time fee for new people. Go to the DMV NC website. Also, check the Asheville Citizen's-Times newspaper online...for jobs. Also there is: IWANNA.com full of rents, etc. It will direct you to the Asheville section and for a small fee, you can see all the phone # online or just browse without the numbers shown...There is also:craigslist.com Look under States, then NC-Asheville. There is a weekly paper, Mountain Xpress, Mountain Xpress: Independent Asheville News, Arts, Events & Information
lastly,you could go online for Asheville chamber of commerse.
Hope you have a safe trip and welcome!

Last edited by iva; 05-28-2007 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 05-28-2007, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
My pick would be Madison County. Close to AVL, but not too close. Towns in the county: Hot Springs, Mars Hill, and Marshall.

Thanks will have to check that out! planning a fact finding mission in July to visit areas.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:27 PM

5 posts, read 36,987 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM

20 posts, read 67,389 times
I can't imagine if you are more comfortable in a conservative environment, you would enjoy living in the city. Perhaps I am wrong, and I don't mean any disrespect. It is just that I am a little to the left of liberal :-) and I find Asheville to be in line with my politics. Selfishly, I'd like more conservatives around just for lively conversation! :-)

Waynesville seems way too conservative for me, but still a growing area, so on that line of thinking it may be a better fit for you. It is a charming town, Maggie Valley may just be having a come-back shortly after some years of decline and it seems this should impact favorably on Waynesville.

That said, I don't know if a Starbucks exists in Waynesville! I've been missing 7/11's (slurpees for me, the awful hotdogs for my husband!).
For some reason I have yet to learn, there are no 7/11's in Asheville. My point? I understand....Waynesville does have several coffee houses, and I found soy milk, so they must have your so's drink of choice!

I have many relatives who are conservative and when they come to visit, we usually wind up in Waynesville, or other areas where I know they will be most comfortable.

Quote:

I am looking for the next area that is about to sprout. An area where land is reasonably priced but will blossom in say 5 years. How ever an area with a nearby grocery store, eateries etc. This area shall be within 10 minutes of the interstate, and have a pleasant home town feel to it. A community that one can be proud to be a part of. I enjoy art, gardening, antiquing, a near by Starbucks (5 miles or less, my S.O. LOVES Chai Tea Frapuchino's), and it must also have a home depot or Lowes within 10 miles. A mall within 20-30 minutes. Although not a requirement I also very much enjoy an international diet, particularly Asian in all of it's forms, though I am willing to drive a distance to enjoy this.

Ideally I would love to buy about 2-3 acres. Hopefully to build a small business and a home on (commercial) but still be affordable.

Also being in Atlanta I have noticed where ever there is a large population of latin immigrants (legal and illegal) property values plummet, and crime escalates. Based on what has been said on this thread I would probably want to stay clear of Hendersonville. However I must wonder if this is not the sign of things to come throughout the US. Although they are some great people with great family values, and awesome cuisine when you get the real stuff.

I would also prefer to be in an area that has a family values christian aura to it. I know my county (Cobb County Georgia) is known for very Right Winged stances on things and I like that feel. And if I lost that I would miss it.

I am also an avid motorcycleist and would prefer to be as close to the open 2 lane twisty roads as possible and not have to go through the city to get to them. But most likely due to the area it would not matter where I was it would all be twisty.

Thanks for your time.
Wobble.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 AM

23 posts, read 102,334 times
Default Small town with convenience

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
Wobble.
Hi,
We own in Saluda, near Flat Rock and Hendersonville. I think it is a wonderful area! It is close to all the amenities you mentioned and yet still has a small town atmosphere. I also agree with another post about Black Mountain and Bat Cave, although I don't live there. Bat Cave is a little far from things but still only a half hour to Asheville and Hendersonville and you can still find land with amazing views relatively inexpensive compared to Lake Lure or Chimney Rock. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina