Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 36,957 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Asheville. I am somewhat familiar with the area, but I do not know which part of Asheville to look for an apartment in. Or maybe just outside of Asheville??? How are commute times? I am single, in my 20's, looking for low to moderately priced place(relatively). I would like to live in a place with some character. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 AM

648 posts, read 2,971,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obli7vion View Post
...I am single, in my 20's, looking for low to moderately priced place(relatively). I would like to live in a place with some character. Thank you!!
I lived in an apartment complex on Alexander drive, on the hill overlooking downtown. I think a 1BR there is in the $630/mo. range.

There's a historic bungalow renting a 1BR, 2nd floor unit in Montford for $600/mo.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM

23 posts, read 260,302 times
Have you visited Asheville for a period of time before you considered moving? Asheville isn't all it's cracked up to be. Especially for younger people who like some form of entertainment.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 AM

Smashing Pumpkins are playing several shows at the Orange Peel this summer, as one of only FOUR American cities on their summer tour! Asheville also has hiking & biking, rafting right through town, minor league baseball, Asheville theatre, The Blue Ridge Parkway, live music at Hannah Flanagans, Barley's Taproom, Magnolia's and more.

The city sponsors softball, volleyball, flag football leagues, and there's even a semi-pro football team (http://www.ashevillegrizzlies.net/ - broken link) in town! There's a very active adult soccer league as well, with open, over 30 and women's leagues available.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 AM

23 posts, read 260,302 times
Exactly, the Smashing Pumpkins. Isn't that a band from the early 90's? Asheville is stuck in the past as far as entertainment value. If you're an avid hiker/biker/camper/rafter you will have plenty to do.....in the summer I guess. But let me tell you, the winter is BORING!!!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Default I love Asheville

There is no question about whether Asheville is a good place for me. I love Asheville. It is only a question of where in Asheville to live. I am definitely going to one of the Smashing Pumpkins shows. I used to listen to them all the time; and the shows are only $20. I only live 1.5 hrs away right now. Anyways, anymore suggestions?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obli7vion View Post
There is no question about whether Asheville is a good place for me. I love Asheville. It is only a question of where in Asheville to live. I am definitely going to one of the Smashing Pumpkins shows. I used to listen to them all the time; and the shows are only $20. I only live 1.5 hrs away right now. Anyways, anymore suggestions?
Do you prefer to be "in-town" or more suburban? And is price a factor? Anyway, you might be able to find a little garage apartment or the like in a nice neighborhood - maybe Montford near downtown, or to the north near the University. There is also West Asheville, where housing is somewhat more affordable, but be sure to stay away from the housing projects there.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 PM

Default no suburbs

I'm not really a suburbs kind of person. I don't like generic places. I also like garden space, a place for a cat to run free.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 AM

44 posts, read 153,906 times
Default Live Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Smashing Pumpkins are playing several shows at the Orange Peel this summer, as one of only FOUR American cities on their summer tour!
If you like live music, Asheville is one of the best cities in the Carolinas for it.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 AM

I have no idea how much they cost, but Grove Park apartments, 30 Edgemont Rd, has some character and is a a very nice area close to downtown. Manor Inn apartments are in the same area, but even closer to downtown on Charlotte St. The building was built in 1898! Both allow cats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina