Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 AM

756 posts, read 1,647,846 times

Advertisements

We have been looking over homes in NC for a couple of years and are closer now than ever before to making the move. Our AZ home is now under contract.

I am rather taken aback by how many houses we look at have bright red, green, blue, yellow, pink, or other colored walls in the MLS listed photos. I know walls can be painted but some colors are harder to cover up than others.

Are the bright colors as common as they seem on the MLS listings? It really turns me away from a house very quickly to see the extremes like that.

Our AZ house has "cottage white" walls throughout. They can easily be painted another color, but it seems far more rare in this locale than back in WNC.

I have even found log homes (my preference) with interiors painted gaudy colors that seem totally incongruous with the "log cabin" mood one might expect. And fireplaces painted? Oh my!

I'd post pics, but the pics are all copyrighted, so I cannot. But go look at some of the MLS listings at the site of your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,419,971 times
Cause that is what people want to paint their walls?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,903,288 times
lol, I've seen people not purchase a home because of the color of the walls, despite the fact that they loved the location, the floor plan, and everything else about the home.

A gallon of paint costs about 30 bucks.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
lol, I've seen people not purchase a home because of the color of the walls, despite the fact that they loved the location, the floor plan, and everything else about the home.

A gallon of paint costs about 30 bucks.
True dat! Of course, if they have red or bright blue or green carpet to match, that costs a little more to change.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,903,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
True dat! Of course, if they have red or bright blue or green carpet to match, that costs a little more to change.
Flooring is another matter. Depends on how bad you want the house . . . negotiate new flooring, or figure the costs into your offer. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:38 PM

765 posts, read 2,558,498 times
I know what you mean, when we were looking I was amazed not only at the paint schemes but also all the personal clutter in the online photos. It looked like no one down here has heard about staging a house to seel it. When people look at houses they want to envision what their furnishings will look like in the rooms and the bright colors and clutter turn people off.

Also be very aware of all the mold and mildew issues you may find down here. It ahs been a very wet year here which has exacerbated the problem. We looked at 9 houses in one day and 5 of them had issues. One was so bad you could have scraped mildew off the kitchen cabinets. Two were so bad we didn't even get past the front doors due to the smell and those were int eh Beaver Lake community. Because of the slow market in this area many homes stay on the market for months with the HVAC on a low setting and the moisture builds to the point that the stuff grows everywhere. Several houses we toured were empty because the owners had either died or were in nursing homes and the houses wouldn't sell. Its can cost thousands to get the mold and mildew out of the houses and all because someone tried to save a few bucks on heating and cooling costs.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Its can cost thousands to get the mold and mildew out of the houses and all because someone tried to save a few bucks on heating and cooling costs.
This is my biggest concern, actually. Some homes have been on the market over 400 days! Unreal... SELL it - even at a loss - because if you let it go to mold, you may lose the whole thing.

I'm looking, but the "newer" on the market are better... unless they came off and went back on - a trick some people use.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
We have been looking over homes in NC for a couple of years and are closer now than ever before to making the move. Our AZ home is now under contract.

I am rather taken aback by how many houses we look at have bright red, green, blue, yellow, pink, or other colored walls in the MLS listed photos. I know walls can be painted but some colors are harder to cover up than others.

Are the bright colors as common as they seem on the MLS listings? It really turns me away from a house very quickly to see the extremes like that.

Our AZ house has "cottage white" walls throughout. They can easily be painted another color, but it seems far more rare in this locale than back in WNC.

I have even found log homes (my preference) with interiors painted gaudy colors that seem totally incongruous with the "log cabin" mood one might expect. And fireplaces painted? Oh my!

I'd post pics, but the pics are all copyrighted, so I cannot. But go look at some of the MLS listings at the site of your choice.

Asheville, and its people, are just very colorful people

It's just paint - some people just really like more color than others!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Asheville, and its people, are just very colorful people

It's just paint - some people just really like more color than others!
It is so different from AZ where a blue house like ours is looked at with disdain by RE agents because it isn't tan or pale pink or pale red like 99% of the homes out here...

... and they're all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same...

Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 PM

532 posts, read 1,086,437 times
Quote:
This is my biggest concern, actually. Some homes have been on the market over 400 days! Unreal... SELL it - even at a loss - because if you let it go to mold, you may lose the whole thing.

I'm looking, but the "newer" on the market are better... unless they came off and went back on - a trick some people use.
Do you really think we want to keep our houses on the markety that long?

WNC is a colorful place. Are you moving to Asheville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina