Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM

55 posts, read 128,889 times

Advertisements

I am not exaggerating and we have talked to the landlord about the problem. He said everyone in the park is having the same problem and multiple people are leaving the area because of it. I am not going to report this guy (who is a nice guy) for something he can't control. I am in the process of moving away but it's not so easy to uproot your entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
He can control it, but doesn't want to spend the money, or can't. And if someone reports him, it's going to cost him more than if he fixed the problem in the first place.

If it's a money issue ... well, if he can't afford upkeep, then maybe he shouldn't be a landlord.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofhumidity View Post
I am not exaggerating and we have talked to the landlord about the problem. He said everyone in the park is having the same problem and multiple people are leaving the area because of it. I am not going to report this guy (who is a nice guy) for something he can't control. I am in the process of moving away but it's not so easy to uproot your entire life.
Newsflash: he is not a nice guy. Law-abiding landlords don't let their tenants live in trashy health hazards!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:14 PM

55 posts, read 128,889 times
How is he supposed to stop it? It seems beyond anyone's control.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM

460 posts, read 778,940 times
Quote:
How is he supposed to stop it? It seems beyond anyone's control.
He buys you a dehumidifier, or you buy one and he credits the amount to your rent (and you leave it behind when you leave).

How much mold damage has been done to your belongings that a $150 at Wal-Mart 2,000 sq. ft. rated dehumidifier would have prevented?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
That landlord has liability if one of his renters gets sick on his watch.

Years ago, my sister rented a nice townhouse that came with a cheap landlord. One day the air conditioner leaked water all down the wall and onto the carpet. The landlord did nothing about it for months.

My sister, who previously had no health issues with her lungs, developed asthma. She has clocked plenty of hours in emergency rooms because of it. Asthma is life-threatening, so no one should feel sorry for the landlord.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 6,075 times
Interesting question thats been brought up. Should landlords be required to supply dehumidifiers for tenants?

AC and dehumidifiers will solve many indoor air problems relating to high humidity. Its a shame they are needed because they are such big energy users. I feel most homes with these problems are the result of poor workmanship and slack code enforcement.

Iam not a mold expert by any means but I think the white fuzzy mold mentioned is probably the result of surface dust and pollen and while not a good thing its not nearly as dangerous as the black and gray molds.

For existing homes with high moisture issues, its important to air seal the home as much as possible. Its much easier to dry out the air inside of an airtight home as opposed to one that constantly has humid air from outside flowing through it. Concentrate on air sealing in the basement/crawl subfloor and at the ceiling plane. In small, tight homes, its possible that such measures will make it possible for the fridge to keep up with dehumidification needs and if not, the AC or dehumidifier will run much less often. This weatherization effort will also improve comfort year round while reducing heating costs.

Home builders are generally avoiding basements because of costs not moisture issues. Vented crawlspace = cave under home. Existing homes should consider sealing and insulating their crawlspaces and I think that codes will outlaw vented crawlspaces in the future. Its also important to evaluate surface drainage on the uphill and downhill sides of problem structures. Its rare to see it done well. Surface water should drain away from the home 10' in all directions and then quickly flow downhill. The more rain that soaks into the ground uphill of the home, the more ground moisture a poorly detailed basement or crawlspace will experience. French drains (gravel, hardpipe to daylight wrapped in silt fabric burrito) may be necessary if its difficult to change existing grade.

Basements are a natural fit for sloping lots. Its pretty cheap and easy to protect them from moisture and radon through redundant drainage and dampproofing techniques. We have been installing perforated hardpipe drained to daylight in the slab gravel layer with a vertical stack for radon. This cheap and easy measure provides subslab drainage and a very effective passive radon/soil gas ventilation system. Pre-cast concrete panel companies provide excellent warranties as well as the basement waterproofing companies. Polymer modified asphalt and drainage mats should last the life of the structure in most cases.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Good: It's beautiful, especially in the fall. Lots of places to hike. Good grocery stores (compared to where I'm from in central California, although I think any large city would have similar options). Fireflies (they don't exist where I'm from) and lots of cool wildlife.

Bad: Outside of the heart of Asheville, people tend to be very religious and right-wing (this might be good for some, but it's certainly not for me). No legal/medicinal marijuana. Recently closed a bunch of abortion clinics in the state (like I said, this might be good for some). BAD bug bite issues. Horrible rainy weather all summer/can be awful cold in winter. The state voted to not expand medicaid which means poor people like me won't be able to get health care under Obamacare.

The ugly: Mold. MOLD MOLD MOLD. And pollen in the Spring. This place has been absolute hell on my health and I know other people who are leaving the area because of these issues. I just mentioned this in another thread, but mold has completely destroyed my home. It's barely livable here and both my boyfriend and I are very ill because of it. We're only here because we are low income and have nowhere else to go. There is visible white fuzzy mold growing on everything. Cabinets. Windowsills. Furniture. Our luggage. All our artwork is warped and bent and moldy from the moisture in the air. Nice artwork that had sentimental value has been destroyed. All my clothing is covered in mold, even stuff that has been washed a few days ago.

I know a lot of people love this area, but I want to be honest about these issues because they have really messed up my health and had I known about some of the negatives I don't think I would have moved here in the first place. It's really, really bad, but a lot of this will only apply to low income people. If you can afford a NICE house with proper insulation/venting and thick walls, you probably won't have these issues. I have no choice but to rent low income apartments and trailers and they really are unlivable. At least, every one I've had has been.
This is a real health issue. I do understand about clothing not drying if you wash it inside and have it hanging up indoors to dry. I have had used wet wash cloths sitting out for four or more days, trying to dry them and they will sour before they dry out. But this has only been this summer - have rarely had any issues with items not drying out in a 24 hour period indoors. So you have some really serious issues going on with your air quality.

I would be finding a dehumidifier and contacting the health department about it (or building inspector, if in public housing) to demand someone provide adequate air circulation and a dehumidifier. Also, I keep fans going downstairs and would suggest you place as many fans around your living space as possible and open the doors/windows as much as is feasible on days when the humidity drops some and there is no rain.

In addition, I am turning on baseboard electric heat during the night to help dry out our interior. So space heaters will help, especially in corners, near closets -- any place where air is not circulating well. Even 1 hour at a time will help dry the room out.

Meanwhile, you need to be proactive and use vinegar on any hard surface where mold has shown up. The vinegar will not only kill the mold, it will provide a barrier to slow down any fungi returning. You can also get Lysol spray, but vinegar is a cheap way to deal with the problem.

Also, in all closets, get bags of charcoal and open them so the charcoal can absorb some of the moisture and remediate any odors.

I hope you get some help with your problem -- this is not only unhealthy, I would think there are some housing regulations being violated when air quality is this substandard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina