U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM

55 posts, read 138,942 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I love what I see of NC in pics and when driving thru visiting relatives in Tennessee. I live in Florida and it worries me that there could be gators in the local lakes and ponds. I have 2 babies that I worry about them growing up out here. I am not a local floridian, so I have NO emotional ties to the state. I understand that now is not the time to move and never move without a job already in place. This is not something that is going to happen right now, or without all our bases covered and without making several trips and really investigating life. Part of getting a feel is by writing in here = )
Ok have more 2 type but baby crying!
Thanks for any information.
Jess
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 PM

45,168 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeska30 View Post
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I love what I see of NC in pics and when driving thru visiting relatives in Tennessee. I live in Florida and it worries me that there could be gators in the local lakes and ponds. I have 2 babies that I worry about them growing up out here. I am not a local floridian, so I have NO emotional ties to the state. I understand that now is not the time to move and never move without a job already in place. This is not something that is going to happen right now, or without all our bases covered and without making several trips and really investigating life. Part of getting a feel is by writing in here = )
Jess
There are gators in NC, but certainly not in the mountains, lol.

Most coastal areas from Virginia to Texas will have aligators in the marshy areas. I'd be much more concerned if I lived in Florida than NC though.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM

526 posts, read 599,313 times
Quote:
Jess
Here you go.

French Broad River Alligator!

[SIZE=4]Alligator Sighting on the French Broad River, Brevard, NC 7/26/06 [/SIZE]

Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,072,129 times
There are gators down east. The White Oak river, for example, or around Bald Head Island. And of course the Alligator River.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM

573 posts, read 1,084,183 times
No, but we have bears and coyotes! I once had a 'gator stalk my 2 yr old daughter as she walked up and down a levee at Loxahatchee near Palm Beach. We were bass fishing and kept a very close eye on both of them!!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM

55 posts, read 138,942 times
Thank you so much. That is what I love about CD forum. Always people willing to take time to help you with some answers or advice. I guess you can't escape every kind of creature. Everywhere has something!
So for the most part it sounds as if Gators shouldn't be in the mountain areas, unless of course brought there by someone. I guess we will just not be doing any swimming in lakes or ponds or rivers = )

Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 PM

22,080 posts, read 40,170,867 times
Quote:
Thank you so much. That is what I love about CD forum. Always people willing to take time to help you with some answers or advice. I guess you can't escape every kind of creature. Everywhere has something!
So for the most part it sounds as if Gators shouldn't be in the mountain areas, unless of course brought there by someone. I guess we will just not be doing any swimming in lakes or ponds or rivers = )
no your biggest fear there would be snakes. becareful around rocks

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM

5,919 posts, read 6,204,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
No, but we have bears and coyotes! I once had a 'gator stalk my 2 yr old daughter as she walked up and down a levee at Loxahatchee near Palm Beach. We were bass fishing and kept a very close eye on both of them!!

You from Loxahatchee???

Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 PM

5,919 posts, read 6,204,167 times
Quote:

You'll be fine. I live in FL. Western NC doesnt have any gators in it's rivers or streams.

The article above I have to question (regarding the gator in the French Broad River). That's VERY RARE, if even true.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM

573 posts, read 1,084,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
You from Loxahatchee???
No, I was born in Jacksonville, grew up in Miami, spent my married life in Broward. All of Florida was my backyard for over 35 years. After my husband died, I lived in the Live Oak/Lake City area for almost 5 years before I moved here, ten years ago this year!

No eight foot 'gators in the pond here!

Blessings!
Tracey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina