U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2009, 12:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,074,244 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can purchase wild venison in Buncombe county. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:19 PM

433 posts, read 70,742 times
isn't it technically illegal to sell venison? I would be interested in some too if anyone has extra.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:32 PM

765 posts, read 1,518,540 times
I knew a college professor in Ohio who swore that he raised 4 kids on road kill. He drove the same roads and had to be in the classroom early enough that he would always find fresh killed meat that he could stash in a freezer in the biology dept during the day. Now that the nighttime temps around here are near or below freezing you should be able to cruise some backroads and just cut off a nice shank or two. Good luck

Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 AM

148 posts, read 389,530 times
It's not legal to sell wild venison - the few restaurants that serve it have to use farm-raised, which is why it tends to be both rare & expensive on menus.
If you know of anyone that hunts, it's worth asking around. Some people who hunt mainly for sport will give it away so it isn't wasted, and others are sometimes willing to trade. We used to have a neighbor whose daughter raise beef cattle, and we'd trade venison, bear, and vegetables from the garden for beef.

I would not go with roadkill, because you don't know if the animal was sick, how long it's been laying there, or what may have ruptured inside of it and tainted the meat when it got hit. [not to mention the general "eww" factor]

Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM

765 posts, read 1,518,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine Carraway View Post
I would not go with roadkill, because you don't know if the animal was sick, how long it's been laying there, or what may have ruptured inside of it and tainted the meat when it got hit. [not to mention the general "eww" factor]

If you drive the same road both ways every day you know if its fresh or not and as far as being sick you take that risk if you shoot one. I have read of some states that actually donate roadkill to charities, food centers, and homeless shelters (Alaska among them however Canada just stopped doing it for legal liability reasons). However, if the eww factor is too much for you I suggest you check with a butcher that advertises they will butcher game animals. They may be best able to put you in touch with some of their customers with excess meat they might want to "get rid of"--enjoy--Larry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina