U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2009, 01:11 PM

34,519 posts, read 40,050,649 times
Default Snow storm headed to western NC?

Our mountains are supposedly getting ready for 4 separate weather events over the next week, all involving snow.

There is the possibility of snow/sleet/freezing rain here in our region as well. Barometric pressure is falling right now . . .

Such a beautiful, warm sunny day out - hard to imagine that we could be getting snow in the next day or two.

Anyone noticed the forecast?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,013,288 times
Ani,

DH and I have been out and about today and they are putting brine down on 85.
I spoke with my boss who lives in Mooresville and she said she saw them putting it down
on 77 and around her area.

I have not seen a forecast today...but they typically wait until the precipitation begins to fall
to put something down.

A girlfriend called me today and said that she heard we could have snow for Christmas!
I haven't heard that, how about you?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,829,103 times
Snow??? I'm heading up to the Cleveland, OH Saturday to spend Holidays with the in-laws and fortunately won't have to see the stuff

Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,724,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Our mountains are supposedly getting ready for 4 separate weather events over the next week, all involving snow.

There is the possibility of snow/sleet/freezing rain here in our region as well. Barometric pressure is falling right now . . .

Such a beautiful, warm sunny day out - hard to imagine that we could be getting snow in the next day or two.

Anyone noticed the forecast?
ani - It might be nice to see a few snowflakes around the Charlotte Metro area just to set the proper holiday mood. I'm sure the mountains will get something substantial. Please tell me you're not going to attempt to visit your "little cabin in the hills". As Sacagawea might have said to Lewis & Clark, "Stay home and rent a good movie"! I heard on NPR today that Jennifer Jones died at the age of 90. A good movie rental might be A Portrait of Jennie, one of her best. A nice, sentimental movie with a stellar cast. Great musical score by Debussy too! Something to watch while munching popcorn as the snowflakes fall!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 PM

EM - Actually, I was thinking about heading to the mountains so I will be in the middle of it, lol.

I see this thread got moved from Charlotte, wh/ is too bad, as my weather radio just alarmed and Charlotte is being warned of POWER OUTAGES b/c of ice/sleet/freezing rain.

I think I would be better off in the mountains as my power is less likely to go out up there! Plus, y'all know I love snow . . .it's the ice that is worrisome.

I dragged some wood to the house a bit ago. Got a big splinter in my palm. Now how dumb to do that without gloves!

If I stay here, it's gonna be pumpkin spice lattes and a big pot of chili . . . and yes, EM, lots of good music (as long as the power stays on, Hee Hee!!!)

Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Ani,

DH and I have been out and about today and they are putting brine down on 85.
I spoke with my boss who lives in Mooresville and she said she saw them putting it down
on 77 and around her area.

I have not seen a forecast today...but they typically wait until the precipitation begins to fall
to put something down.

A girlfriend called me today and said that she heard we could have snow for Christmas!
I haven't heard that, how about you?
We are getting ready to see a big snowfall in the mountains and Anifani predicts snow/ice in the Piedmont with power outages stretching from Catawba/Burke/Alexander/Lincoln/Gaston to Meck. OH NO! But that is my prediction and I am sticking to it!

Not sure about Christmas yet (here in Charlotte). I feel pretty certain the mountains will have snow that if not fresh on Christmas - will be the result of an accumulation.

I would not be surprised to see the mountains get 10 inches and over the next seven days, maybe 15" accumulation in some areas.

Let's head to the ski lodge, folks! Woo hoo!!!!

Anyone staying in the Piedmont - especially newcomers - just be aware that power outages are not unusual here. Get your batteries and crackers, tuna, juice, peanut butter, etc.

I am told the biggest selling item here during power outages is POP TARTS!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,724,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
EM - Actually, I was thinking about heading to the mountains so I will be in the middle of it, lol.

I see this thread got moved from Charlotte, wh/ is too bad, as my weather radio just alarmed and Charlotte is being warned of POWER OUTAGES b/c of ice/sleet/freezing rain.

I think I would be better off in the mountains as my power is less likely to go out up there! Plus, y'all know I love snow . . .it's the ice that is worrisome.

I dragged some wood to the house a bit ago. Got a big splinter in my palm. Now how dumb to do that without gloves!

If I stay here, it's gonna be pumpkin spice lattes and a big pot of chili . . . and yes, EM, lots of good music (as long as the power stays on, Hee Hee!!!)
Well, if you're going up to them thar' hills, please drive very carefully!!! Remember, what Mrs Donner said to her husband.... "We should have taken that trip to Miami instead"!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Hazardous weather outlook
national weather service greenville-spartanburg sc
423 pm est thu dec 17 2009

ncz033-049-050-182130-
avery-yancey-mitchell-
423 pm est thu dec 17 2009

...winter storm warning in effect from 9 am friday to 7 pm est
saturday...

This hazardous weather outlook is for western north carolina.

.day one...tonight.

No hazardous weather is expected at this time.

.days two through seven...friday through wednesday.

Please listen to noaa weather radio or go to weather.gov on the
internet for more information about the following hazards.

Winter storm warning.

Snow showers will develop in areas along the tennessee border
saturday night and continue through at least sunday. Additional
snowfall accumulations will be possible during this time.

Another storm system will bring winter precipitation across the
region wednesday night and thursday. This system could result in
measurable snow accumulations by thursday.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:53 PM

451 posts, read 875,450 times
Default Big Snow coming to the mountains! The High Country

If anyone is planning to come up to the mountains, we would love to see you come, but Please, check Ray's Weather Center, for the best up to the minute information about our area. I am in the high country which is Boone, Blowing Rock area. This includes Avery. Ray's Weather tracks different area's, Asheville as well. He is a computer science professor at App. It can be very, very, very, dangerous if you are not prepared. Our area will get the most starting Friday. Ray said 10-20" possible. Do Not Drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway in bad weather. Please come prepared. If you do not have 4 wheel drive, please pick up chains for your vehicle. Please be safe.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,318,005 times
Ray's Weather (www.booneweather.com) states 10-20" up here in the High Country by Saturday afternoon.

Chance of snow every day but one between now and Christmas, with snow possible the 24th and 25th. So we may very well have a white Christmas this year!

Highs in the 20s most of the days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina