Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
u guys are weak. Any CAPABLE local government that cares about it's citizens would be prepared BEFOREHAND with snow plowers working 24/7 to clear the roads. Where are your taxes going ? Seriousely?
When a storm like this is the exception rather than the norm, why should state and/or local gov't invest heavily in equipment and manpower that will sit unneeded 95% of the time? I'd rather see my taxes spent on things that have more year-round benefit... especially in these economic times.

I really don't mind the temporary inconvenience once or twice a winter. Besides, a lot of the highway closures are usually the result of idots who don't drive appropriate vehicles for the conditions or choose to drive irresponsibly. We saw a lot of that yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Somebody post some pics, I'm dying to see!!!

I just saw on the news that Banner Elk has 16 inches of snow!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
u guys are weak. Any CAPABLE local government that cares about it's citizens would be prepared BEFOREHAND with snow plowers working 24/7 to clear the roads. Where are your taxes going ? Seriously?
No guys live in North Carolina. A guy is a grotesque person. We have ladies, gentlemen and folks. And as for having snow plows working 24/7, they probably are. You must not have ever seen a mountain road. My dad used to drive the snow plow and it is not easy doing it at a 45 degree angle.

We were in Miami and Pompano Beach last week and you have absolutely no room for pointing fingers at others. Did you have the roads free of water this week so the cars could get through? At least we pay for our own roads and don't ask visiting people to do it. We have never been nickeled and dimed so much in our lives. Every time we turned around somebody else had their hands out asking for money. We won't be visiting your area again. Too many people down there think blowing the horn is a driving skill.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 AM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Default Road Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
i have to agree. we have become a nation of people that will not do for themselves. the DOT was prepared but they sat on the side of the road until the snow overwelmed them. by the way most of the plows in this district will keep the blade 1/4" above the pavement causing ice to form. they don't want the plows to wear out. today in our subdivision (which we do not plow) people asked me if they could park on the road cause they couldn't park in thier driveway. i politely said no and handed them a snow shovel. pretty soon the neighborhood was out shoveling snow and actually talking to thier neighbors. go figure
You must not have seen the same news as the rest of us. I was going to ignore these ignorant posts but decided to put my 2Cents worth. This storm was historic. We have not seen a storm like this in ten years, not even in the high country. This is the kind of posts that is insulting, basically calling us lazy and stupid. I hope you didn't hand a shovel to some of the elderly that could have a heart attack to shovel. People were asking about the roads, not for your editorial about Dot not being prepared.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
We drove home to SC at mid-day today and all main roads from Banner Elk to Greenville - 105, 221, 74, and I-26 - were perfectly clear. There was no snow on the ground south of Columbus, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina