Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 PM

28 posts, read 46,011 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know how many hispanics are in wnc and if there is racism in wnc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,617 times
Oh my, what a question, nose1.

There is no absolute answer because certainly no one has counted all the Hispanic noses in WNC or assessed all of WNC residents' attitudes. Neither would be possible to do.

A relative answer is that we have nothing like the numbers of Hispanics here that we have in California or Florida or Texas. Just look at a map of the USA for the reason.

A logical answer is that Hispanics and racism both thrive across our great country, and WNC is no different, since it's comprised of natives as well as transplants from across our great country.

But however we look at it, we're still not seeing the whole elephant unless we add in a special (and possibly unique) characteristic that defines this region. In this "buckle of the Bible belt," we find sincere religious commitment and, with it, greater compassion for the poor, the homeless, the disadvantaged, and the (Biblical) "foreigner." Religious perspective transforms political and cultural relationships, like the yeast that changes what would otherwise be hard, unleavened bread.

As a result... I can't speak for other denominations, or even for all of WNC (though I think I'd be safe speaking for them)..... Among the five Catholic churches we have in Asheville/Hendersonville, I don't know of one that doesn't have a Spanish Mass every Sunday and Holy Day... I know of at least two that celebrate special Hispanic traditions like Posadas. These services are in Spanish, of course, with a Spanish-speaking priest or interpreter. And I know of at least two local Catholic churches that offer ongoing weekly lessons in English as a Second Language. Our Christmas Eve Spanish Mass and Posadas were so well-attended and joyful that I only wished I understood more Spanish than I do.

Hope that helps.

Jan

Last edited by the Parkies; 12-26-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,460 times
Default From City-Data.com statistics

Races in Asheville:

* White Non-Hispanic (76.0%)
* Black (17.6%)
* Hispanic (3.8%)
* Two or more races (1.6%)
* Other race (1.5%)
* American Indian (0.8%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Ashevi...#ixzz0arAMoFhP

Here are the city-data stats.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 PM

I don't believe those numbers are accurate. There is, I believe, a fully-attended Spanish Mass every weekend at every Catholic church in this region. One out of four Masses at our church is in Spanish.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 AM

57 posts, read 160,054 times
There are a fair amount of Hispanics in WNC, and yes, there is also a fair amount of racism, from both White, Black, and Hispanic. Is everyone racist, no.....are some, yes.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 AM

You've just described most of the USA, of course.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 AM

57 posts, read 160,054 times
Shrugs....

Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,159 times
I don't have any stats, but Asheville (or at least West Asheville) seems to have a large number of hispanics. I'd say 1 out of 3 people at my gym is hispanic.

I don't sense any anti-hispanic sentiment.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM

243 posts, read 477,890 times
With regards to your title.....you realize the Spanish are from Europe and Hispanics can be from many places.

There are a lot of illegal Hispanics in NC compared with most states. A couple reasons.....

1)Lots of chicken farms. A low paying wage that most US citizens don't want to do.....but want to reap the benefits from.

2)Lots of large meat processing plants in NC...including the worlds largest. Again.....a low paying dirty job we US citizens want to reap the benefits from but don't want to do.

My problem with so many Mexicans in the WNC area.....

1)There still aren't what I would consider any good authentic Mexican restaurants in the area.

2)Working at a free clinic....I realized how lazy us white people are compared with the illegals in the area....it's embarrassing. The illegals that came in (and legals as well).....were generally very nice, grateful and very hard working. The white folk were un-kept, demanding, unappreciative, and lazy.

In general in WNC......the drug problems, crime, and dirtier area of town....are from the white and black US citizens........not hispanics. Most hispanics in the area, legal or not, are just hard working folks wanting to make a life for themselves.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM

243 posts, read 477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Races in Asheville:

* White Non-Hispanic (76.0%)
* Black (17.6%)
* Hispanic (3.8%)
* Two or more races (1.6%)
* Other race (1.5%)
* American Indian (0.8%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Ashevi...#ixzz0arAMoFhP

Here are the city-data stats.
These might be 'official' census numbers....but aren't representative of actual numbers....I would guess between 1 in 5-1 in 6 in Bumcombe county are hispanic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina