Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We'd like to be near a college and also near a good size airport. Can anyone advise what major airpost is closest to Boone? I see what's on the map but I'm not familiar with the airports.
Most people in Boone use the Charlotte airport. It's been a while since I needed to know, but Hickory used to have commuter service... don't know the current status.

Depending on cost and schedules, the Piedmont Triad Airport (GSO) might be a reasonable alternative to Charlotte. It's only about a 2 hour drive from Boone, but when I lived in Winston-Salem, I found prices at GSO generally higher than Charlotte. It is cheaper to park at GSO, a lot less crowded, and easier/quicker to get in and out.

Again, depending on cost and schedules, you might want to check out the Tri-Cities airport outside Johnson City, TN, but don't take Hwy 421 to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
...but a few other things are important as well. Medical care is tops. My in laws live in remore Minnesota and good medical care is much too far away. I don't want that...
Watauga Medical Center and the medical community in general are quite good for a smaller community. Boone is something of a retail and medical hub for the surrounding area. Plus, with so many upscale second home communities, seasonal residents have a history of supporting the medical center.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Again, thanks for all this good info. Boone could possibly be on my final list of places to live.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM

127 posts, read 476,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
NC's mountains are higher than Tenn.'s.
Catbirds is right about the counties...let me add Mitchell and Yancey counties. Mitchell has, of course, Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain east of the Mississippi River. Trouble is, most of the folks on this forum don't like the rural character of those areas. They're city folk!
Mount Mitchell is actually in Yancey county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina