Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 PM

457 posts, read 889,271 times

Advertisements

Hey all! When camping opens back up in the BRP area, we are planning on heading back out that way! We took a drive through the area in October and fell IN LOVE with The Parkway!!

So I'm looking for all of you experienced locals (and the visitors) to give me some tips on a good place to camp, with moderate hiking trails and beautiful waterfalls.

We're really not too picky on what area, we live in Graham, so the drive really isn't going to make much of a difference for us.

So let me hear all of your WONDERFUL suggestions!

Please!?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
Hey all! When camping opens back up in the BRP area, we are planning on heading back out that way! We took a drive through the area in October and fell IN LOVE with The Parkway!!

So I'm looking for all of you experienced locals (and the visitors) to give me some tips on a good place to camp, with moderate hiking trails and beautiful waterfalls.

We're really not too picky on what area, we live in Graham, so the drive really isn't going to make much of a difference for us.

So let me hear all of your WONDERFUL suggestions!

Please!?

Thanks!!
Wow, where to start? I LOVE the Parkway and all it has to offer

Let me think on it and I'll post again shortly...

Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 PM

One favorite campground right off the Parkway is near mile marker 324, Bear Den Campground. I like the way it is tucked into the woods in such a quiet spot. It is also well maintained with nice sites.

Location of Bear Den Campground & Cabin Rentals

Consider a trip up thru Bakersville to hwy 143 to hike Carvers Gap near Roan Mt - the views are spectacular up there.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 12-28-2009 at 09:27 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM

This book might be helpful to you in locating many of the waterfalls along the Parkway

Waterfalls of the Blue Ridge Guide Book

Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Near mile marker 238 you could camp and hike at Doughton Park. The views along the Parkway near Doughton are really beautiful.

However, just below the Parkway and adjacent to Doughton I'd highly recommend camping at Stone Mt State Park. The waterfalls in the that park are very nice and you may even get to see some rock climbers scaling the wall of Stone Mt. itself. There is a beautiful new section to the campground now with a nice bath house. But if you like back country camping they have some great sites there for that too

Campground: Stone Mountain State Park in Roaring Gap North Carolina

Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
you definitely want to get that book.
One of the problems I have with the parkway the signs dont tell you what you are near. The book will help you finding the falls
Some of the best waterfalls I been to are not near a road but rather you have to hike to. One waterfall I would like to find again
you could swim and get behind it and stand (swim) on the other side
This state has alot of waterfalls and I havent been to. Here is a teaser website on local falls
North Carolina Waterfalls - Nature Photography - Image Licensing - Southern Appalachian Wildflowers - Brevard Transylvania County - Fall Color

Old 12-29-2009, 06:39 AM

Yay! Thanks for all the info! I will most certainly be getting that book!!! I plan on doing plenty of research before we head that way (hence starting the search now). From what I understand, they do not allow camping there before May...does anyone know if that's correct?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
Yay! Thanks for all the info! I will most certainly be getting that book!!! I plan on doing plenty of research before we head that way (hence starting the search now). From what I understand, they do not allow camping there before May...does anyone know if that's correct?
The federal campgrounds along the Parkway do close until May, but Bear Den is private so it may be open longer. Also, Stone Mt. is a state park (not federal) so it it open year round. We traditionally camp there every January

Old 12-29-2009, 08:09 AM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
For campgrounds right on the parkway, my family loves Mt. Pisgah campground, and Crabtree Meadows, which has a 2.5 mile loop trail to an amazing waterfall. The hike is considered strenuous, but my wife and I both pack on some extra weight, and our kids (at the time 4, 6, and 7) had no problems.

From Mt. Pisgah, you are only a short drive to Transylvania county, which is considered the "land of waterfalls".

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The federal campgrounds along the Parkway do close until May, but Bear Den is private so it may be open longer. Also, Stone Mt. is a state park (not federal) so it it open year round. We traditionally camp there every January

Ahhh...good to know! My soon to be step-son is coming down in March over his spring break, and we really wanted to take him with us, so this helps a lot! Otherwise, I guess we'd just have to go back over his summer break and take him then (what horrible torture THAT would be, lol)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina