U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 6,113 times
Default Moving to near Franklin in Spring

Hello all,

I've enjoyed researching Franklin on these threads over the last several days - my husband and 3 year old daughter and I are moving to an organic farm 8 miles outside Franklin in late Spring of this year (The Farm at Matlock Creek). We live in Albany, NY now, but I am from Charlotte and we have wanted to move to the Western NC mountains for more than 5 years now. My husband and I both have family and friends in NC and want our daughter to be closer to them and we think living in/near wilderness spaces is crucial to happy living. We find the mountains of NC to be filled with mystery and history (not to mention the biological and cultural diversity) and we are thrilled to have an opportunity to move there.

We are interested in energy conservation, homeschooling, vegetarianism, vegan baking, organic eating and cooking, hiking and other outdoor activities, good weather, community, and music (we all play instruments and sing), among other subjects. Oh, and we drive a bright yellow VW Bus with a camper on top named Daisy. We are looking for other like minding members of the community and any comments anyone might like to share about Franklin, community interests (I've noticed lots of Farmer's Markets and festivals - they look so fun, especially the Annual Pumpkin Roll!), or anything else on whatever topic interests you that you think we might like to know.

We are excited about joining this community - our home will be built LEED certified and there is a bed and breakfast on the property where my husband will be chef and I'll be coordinating events and catering. We look forward to the general store there too and hope to add our baked goods and artisan breads to the other organic items from the farm sold there. Is there a market for vegan baking in Franklin? I bake all of my cakes, cinnamon buns and cookies as traditionally as possible, but subsitute vegan ingredients. We sell them at the local Co-op here now and at summer markets. We are hoping the eco-community at the farm is welcomed by our neighbors.

We look forward to hearing from you all!
B, N + k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM
NCN

13,924 posts, read 11,354,922 times
Could it get any better than this? I would make sure to put an add in the Western Carolina University paper for the bed and breakfast. Parents of students there would probably appreciate having housing that is close by.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Frankl...-Carolina.html

I am waiting for a book to come out in North Carolina named Highway 64. If someone else doesn't do it, I may do it myself.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM
vq1

134 posts, read 364,908 times
Default Whalebone to Hothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am waiting for a book to come out in North Carolina named Highway 64. If someone else doesn't do it, I may do it myself.
The book From Whalebone to Hothouse: A Journey Along North Carolina's Longest Highway was written by Jerry Bledsoe in 1986 and highlights many of the towns along the 600 + miles of US 64 from its Whalebone Junction beginning at the Outer Banks to Hothouse, the area west of Murphy just before of the Tennessee line.

From Whalebone to Hot House: A Journey Along North Carolina's Longest Highway by Jerry Bledsoe

UNC-TV frequently runs a short, locally produced video following many of the events along the way in addition to the numerous shows as to events throughout western NC.

UNC-TV ONLINE: Locally Produced Programs

Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,457 times
Default Franklin north carolina

Hi VW Westy
We live about 10 minutes from the farme at Matlock creek. Thats a beautiful farm & your going to love it there! The people that are going to be running the store there at Matlock used to run our co-op before they lost the building it was in. My husband & I have lived in Franklin for 4 years now & love the life style. We have about a acre of land about 5 minutes from town with a trout pond & organic garden. I love cooking healthy organic foods. My husband has a little recording studio (shed) out back & we both love music. Good luck with your move & I hope to see you at Matlock Store sometime. Nila

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Westy View Post
Hello all,

I've enjoyed researching Franklin on these threads over the last several days - my husband and 3 year old daughter and I are moving to an organic farm 8 miles outside Franklin in late Spring of this year (The Farm at Matlock Creek). We live in Albany, NY now, but I am from Charlotte and we have wanted to move to the Western NC mountains for more than 5 years now. My husband and I both have family and friends in NC and want our daughter to be closer to them and we think living in/near wilderness spaces is crucial to happy living. We find the mountains of NC to be filled with mystery and history (not to mention the biological and cultural diversity) and we are thrilled to have an opportunity to move there.

We are interested in energy conservation, homeschooling, vegetarianism, vegan baking, organic eating and cooking, hiking and other outdoor activities, good weather, community, and music (we all play instruments and sing), among other subjects. Oh, and we drive a bright yellow VW Bus with a camper on top named Daisy. We are looking for other like minding members of the community and any comments anyone might like to share about Franklin, community interests (I've noticed lots of Farmer's Markets and festivals - they look so fun, especially the Annual Pumpkin Roll!), or anything else on whatever topic interests you that you think we might like to know.

We are excited about joining this community - our home will be built LEED certified and there is a bed and breakfast on the property where my husband will be chef and I'll be coordinating events and catering. We look forward to the general store there too and hope to add our baked goods and artisan breads to the other organic items from the farm sold there. Is there a market for vegan baking in Franklin? I bake all of my cakes, cinnamon buns and cookies as traditionally as possible, but subsitute vegan ingredients. We sell them at the local Co-op here now and at summer markets. We are hoping the eco-community at the farm is welcomed by our neighbors.

We look forward to hearing from you all!
B, N + k

Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,457 times
Default franklin nc

Hi VW Westy
We live about 10 minutes from the farme at Matlock creek. Thats a beautiful farm & your going to love it there! The people that are going to be running the store there at Matlock used to run our co-op before they lost the building it was in. My husband & I have lived in Franklin for 4 years now & love the life style. We have about a acre of land about 5 minutes from town with a trout pond & organic garden. I love cooking healthy organic foods. My husband has a little recording studio (shed) out back & we both love music. Good luck with your move & I hope to see you at Matlock Store sometime. Nila

Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
Hey Nila

Thank you so much for sharing your info on "Franklin", I was just watching something on the Travel channel in regards to the gem mines there and I was comtemplating the idea of moving there, by the way I happen to be a "songwriter" and would love to meet your husband so we can talk music! Right now I live in Miami with my wife Julie and we hate it here!So we been praying and asking God for a place in NC and quite "frankly" FRANKLIN SOUNDS REAL GOOD!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM

612 posts, read 1,059,075 times
Gosh, I am envious. We lived in Franklin for 2 years but moved since we couldn't find jobs that would keep our heads above water. We visit all the time, have friends there, and have a little cabin (Sit a Spell Cabin) in Cowee about 12 mi north of Franklin on 28. I can think of several people in my congregation at Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Franklin who you should meet. Many are very "green", some exceedingly so; some are vegan; all are terrific folks. Direct message me if you are interested and I will give contact info. By the way, our new web site at Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Franklin, NC went live today, it is still being shaped up but has a good start.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Default well, not there yet

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses - we were supposed to be moved by now but there appears to be some local opposition to this project (spearheaded by the John Locke Foundation) and the government funding hasn't been released yet, but we're still hopeful. We've joined a nice farmer's market and will be selling some vegan baked goods and croissants/other things my husband has come up with It's really beautiful here in Albany, NY in the spring/summer and we're kind of glad we're not leaving our community just yet...we've got lots of wonderful, progressive, thoughtful friends around here we're finding ourselves reluctant to leave behind (some of whom are musicians - we are really looking forward to finding some people to play with when we come down!).

It breaks our hearts to have this dream of a carrot dangled before us...we long to be in the mountains in NC, on this beautiful farm, living more connected to nature and our food supply, and joining your community. We would love to look into the Unitarian church there, sounds like a great group of people - it's nice to know there's a network of like-minded individuals around. That aspect of our community here is so important to us - we stay in tune with what's happening in our world in important ways through the people around us. (Aside: Just read an article in today's local paper about a new cancer study that finds chemicals in the workplace/home/environment is causing "grievous harm" to people...does "duh" come to the mind of anyone else??)

The JLF, via the Carolina Journal, who is opposing this project, is funded by Koch Industries, massive fuel producers and refiners, who just want to keep polluting the atmosphere with shameful self-interest. We're really hoping their dirty tricks don't work and this will all go through.

Keep your fingers crossed for us, folks, hopefully we'll make it down there soon. We can't wait to get to work at the B&B, live in our toxin-free home, wander the trails of the mountains, get to know the community, and help make that farm a prosperous hub again.

All the best and Happy Spring,
BC

Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Unfortunately, this developer (who has a criminal record and served time for felony theft) has not made good on her promises. The property was never even bought when she and her partner (aka her common law husband) made this opportunity known to us and of course, the houses haven't been built. We have not received any information about the grant (i.e., what programs they applied to) and therefore, cannot stay involved for any longer. It's been 9 months. Don't get taken in by these people. In my opinion, they are fraudulently representing themselves.

BC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina