U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times

Advertisements

Kind of a catch all thread. But, it seems that everyone and their brother, sister and the neighbor's dog wants to move to Asheville, NC.

While looking at housing prices, they certainly reflect that...basically everything housing related IS way too overpriced...and would realistically only appeal to those who already have housing equity elsewhere and bringing it with them, or people who have access to income that isn't connected to the immediate Asheville area. (Am I wrong about that?)

Meanwhile, the Appalachian mountain towns encompass quite a bit more than just western North Carolina. But, I never hear anyone talk about western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky or West Virginia. Why is that?

What is it about VA, TN, KY, WV...that doesn't seem to attract people. They seem like they'd all offer mountains, small-ish towns, etc. What is it about Asheville and it's immediate area that really draws people in to such a degree people are willing to purchase houses well above what is affordable based on wages.

Just trying to get some perspective on this...and if people could say what it is about western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky or West Virginia that doesn't attract them, that would be interesting as well.

If you DO like western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky or West Virginia. What areas were you thinking of looking in those areas and why?

Personally I think the entire region has a lot to offer, but Asheville really seems to be the only one I ever hear about, and that is drawing in so many people to itself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,567,481 times
To find out about mountain living in TN, VA, WV, and KY, you'd have to post in those forums. This is the NC forum, for the mountainous region/ western part of this state. In Western NC, Asheville is the largest city, so that's how come so many posts come thru about our town. There are other good towns in the other states you mentioned, with mountainous terrain and views and woods and waterfalls, but we're not as familiar with how things are in those places, becuz this is the NC forum. We may be part of the whole Appalachian Mountain chain, that goes from New England into the South, but each state and their cities are listed separately by state in this forum. I'm sorry if I'm oversimplifying things for you, but that's the answer to your question.

I can say this about affordability, and that is Asheville is a semi-resort area, so housing costs are higher than nearly anyplace else in our state. But like many Southern states, it's still more affordable than the Northeast and California, for examples. And the reason Asheville is sort of a resort is because lots of people will move around within the state they were raised in or have spent a lot of time in, and before the advent of air conditioning, folks who lived in other parts of NC would come up to the mountains or go to the ocean to cool off, so things got rather developed in those areas for people who wanted to vacation.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM

98 posts, read 414,894 times
TB,

Prices are high in the Asheville region (most expensive area to live in the state last time I checked) and pay tends to be below average compared to national averages. Like the poster above said, Asheville is a tourist area and is also becoming a large retirement community with relatively awesome weather year round. I think another big draw is that Asheville is very easy to get to with the airport and major highways coming into town from all directions. In comparision you could look at Murphy which is nicer in my opinion, but much harder to get to. In that area house prices are much lower for basically the same geography.

So if you want desolation and don't mind long rides to get somewhere...the mountain towns are nice. If you want the mountains, but easy access to everything...then Asheville is the place to be.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Informative responses. Well, city-data is all about getting information.

I am getting a much better feel for Asheville now...i.e. most expensive region of NC...long thought of as a resort/tourist area...I can see now how it become a major draw for the State.

Also, interesting the post about people in NC being fairly clueless about their close neighbors. It makes sense if Asheville is seen more within a strong state context...as opposed to feeling Asheville is southern Appalachians which randomly happens to be in NC (which doesn't seem to be the case whatsoever).

That also explains the higher prices as well...plus when you factor in the fact people from all of the wealthier areas of the U.S. seem to be attracted to Asheville (and North Carolina as well), it certainly would drive up housing costs well beyond local people's ability to afford them.

Incidentally, I have looked at other cities/towns in the overall region of the Southern Appalachians...and NOTHING looks anything as cool or as interesting as Asheville. It seems this city has a great combination of 'interest' from all over which makes it more interesting in the process...but sadly more expensive as well.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 PM

120 posts, read 235,861 times
You might be well advised to also check into Johnson City, TN. Several recreational lakes, mtns, college, medical facilities, etc... and quite a bit cheaper.....
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina