Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 39,409 times

Advertisements

Hello All:

I am a single lady from Indianapolis who is getting ready to start a job in Rutherfordton. I like what I have seen of the area, but I'm concerned about getting bored in a small town. Any insights on local entertainment or the single crowd? I'm a very young 40ish. I'm not a party animal, but I'm not dead yet either. lol
I already know it may be a challenge finding a place to live, but I don't want to drive too far. Also, what is this I hear about taxes being so high. What is the reason? Any replies would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM

70 posts, read 227,356 times
Hi incalinow, and welcome.
It will be different for you here, but does not have to be boring. That will be up yo you. Life here is pretty slow paced in general, and that is part of the charm of our area. We are close to some pretty large towns/citys for night life and that stuff. We also have the mountains and Lake Lure, Chimney Rock for the outdoor type stuff. The people are great. This is the best place I have ever been. I have relocated people here from all over the country ( yes that's what I do ) and not one has been sorry for the move. People are flocking here from all over. Don't worry about housing. It's a buyer's market here now. Lots to choose from. There are some nice rentals, but not as many as there could be. I don't consider taxes here to be high at all. Almost all my clients pay less here than where they came from.If I can be of any help to you let me know what you need. Good Luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 PM

62 posts, read 215,722 times
Not sure about the Tax thing. I think MtnMan is right. Taxes in the Carolinas are cheaper by far than most parts of the country. You'd hate to see taxes in the north east. Ouch! In any case Best Wishes on the move. I'm sure you'll love it there. I've lived a bunch of places and traveled a lot and I think it's a pretty special place.

Cabinman

Old 10-30-2007, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 13,897 times
Default Rutherfordton

I am 40.
I am married.
Very into outdoors.
Lived here for 17 years.
Rutherfordton is not a bad place.
It is growing. Slowly, but definitely growing.
Taxes are not considered high here for our area.
We are close to South Carolina (Greenville area).
We are close to Asheville also.
We are not that far from Charlotte.
I think it is quiet ideal.
Now, as far as meeting someone, well, that will depend greatly on
what you are looking for.
Whether it be Bachelor's Degree, Masters or Doctorate in your mate.
Or, if you like a good old mountain man.
There are people here but you will have to do some work in this area.

Asheville is outrageous as far as living expenses, but culturally fantastic.
We like to go over and try all the restaurants.
Lots to do. I believe you would love the accessibility of that.
If you decide to come on over, welcome.
It is a beautiful county and friendly people.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:12 AM

Well thanks for the response everybody. I'm looking forward to experiencing all the area has to offer and meeting lots of new people.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 PM

129 posts, read 754,150 times
Default a woman's view

I agree with everything that's been said on the area and a little more. I will say that for a single person the "night life" may leave a little to be desired but with the level of friendliness here it won't be hard to find people to hang out with. We don't exactly have a booming "night life" but I always suggest that clients check out Barley's Taproom in Spindale. It's a great pizza and beer place and on Saturday nights they usually have a live band. We are close to Spartanburg and Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville aren't too far away if you're just dying for a little more urbanization.

Congrats on the new job!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:38 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
I visited Chimney Rock and Lake Lure this past weekend from Charlotte and loved it. I prefer being close to (but not living in) a more urban area like Charlotte, so I don't think the area would be a good fit for me to live in, but for some people it would be perfect.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLass View Post
I agree with everything that's been said on the area and a little more. I will say that for a single person the "night life" may leave a little to be desired but with the level of friendliness here it won't be hard to find people to hang out with. We don't exactly have a booming "night life" but I always suggest that clients check out Barley's Taproom in Spindale. It's a great pizza and beer place and on Saturday nights they usually have a live band. We are close to Spartanburg and Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville aren't too far away if you're just dying for a little more urbanization.

Congrats on the new job!
Thanks, Yorkshire Lass. Barley's sounds great. I will be sure to check it out!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,649 times
Default Moving to North Carolina

Hi read your old thread about moving to North Carolina. I was just wondering how you are doing. My family and I have plans to move to Charlotte in the near future. I was also wondering if you could share some companies in surrounding area that I could inquire about employment.

I currently live in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina