U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 PM

108 posts, read 221,455 times
Default Kayaking in WNC

Hi All,
I thought I should ask this very knowledgeable Forum about kayaking, and how do-able it is in Western NC. Not interested in the heart-stopping, white water kayaking. We are talking the paddling along, communing-with-nature type of kayaking. Does that exist in WNC, and is it accessible? I know there are some lakes, but are they all private or is there public access?
We are pretty spoiled with fantastic kayak choices here on the shoreline of CT... something I think I could really miss! Appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 PM

518 posts, read 1,422,998 times
The Little Tennessee River northwest of Franklin is worth checking out. It's wide, smooth and beautiful and offers terrific views of the Nantahala and Cowee mountain ranges. There also might be some stretches of the French Broad River in Madison County that fit what you're looking for. My wife and I went rafting on the French Broad on our first trip to western North Carolina, back when we were younger and more adventurous. We hit only a few rough areas, though I think there are parts of the French Broad that do provide that whitewater "excitement."

Old 05-27-2007, 05:07 AM

937 posts, read 2,164,654 times
Check out Wilson's Creek in northern Caldwell County. The county just bought some property to provide a a nice area for putting in.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 AM

5,658 posts, read 17,378,892 times
Rivers in Western NC

Hiwassee
Little Tennessee
Savannah
French Broad
Broad
Catawba
Watauga
New
Yadkin

Old 05-27-2007, 02:56 PM

937 posts, read 2,164,654 times
Caldwell County Chamber of Commerce

Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 AM

44 posts, read 100,020 times
Default Kayaking on the ICW

Is it safe to kayak on the Inter-coastal Waterway around Sunset Beach? I'm envisioning alligators chasing me.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 46,124 times
I'm looking for the same in Johnston County NC, we are used to the ocean kayaking at the coast. Any info I find for you I will pass your way.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 46,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeabo View Post
Is it safe to kayak on the Inter-coastal Waterway around Sunset Beach? I'm envisioning alligators chasing me.
I think you'll be ok. Our winters are too cold for the rare alligator to get very big. I have lived in NC my whole life, all over the coast, I've NEVER seen one...heard of them being around but we have more of mosquito problem.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 AM

107 posts, read 961 times
try the new r up in ashe co. zaloos (if they are still in business) offer good stuff...

Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 AM

44 posts, read 100,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahclarke View Post
I think you'll be ok. Our winters are too cold for the rare alligator to get very big. I have lived in NC my whole life, all over the coast, I've NEVER seen one...heard of them being around but we have more of mosquito problem.
There is one in the pond by the condo we stay at a Sunset Beach golf community, so I just didn't know. Haven't seen "Al" this year though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina