U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 AM

22 posts, read 30,553 times
I forgot this school : The Academy of Asheville which is also a charter school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,906,965 times
hi there,

this is me, soon queenofthemountains

Vaccinations for me was a big thing too ....

It is much more liberal in europe than it is here. If you want to enroll your child in preschool/childcare/school, they give you a form for your pediatrician to fill out.
and I think, there is nothing your child does not need a shot for

In general I am pro vaccines, just did not like the time pressure, to do so as early as possible.
I found a great doctor who allowed me to take the time and do the vaccines step by step. others were not even open to discuss this issue
to me if felt wrong to bother a newborn babies organism with 5 shots at a time ....

If you have concerns about a certain vaccine, there are waivers (a form to decline it) for it. You don't have to have religious reasons for that (as others say). If you need more information, i can find out, where to get this waiver. usually it has to be accepted by the school.

on another note: not sure how preschool/kindergarten is handled in France.
In germany children start school with 6 years. before that they go to 'kindergarten' for 2-3 years and they mostly play, if possible outside, there is not a lot of academical challenge - which I like. If some kids are ready earlier, they will be supported in writing and reading, of course.

when children start kindergarten here, most of them know their ABCs already, can write their full name etc since they usually start in preschool to learn all that.
that works for many children, but not for everybody and to me it's kind of sad, kids can't just play and learn how to socialize, but already get reportcards and some pressure. by the age of 6 almost everybody is ready for reading and writing and they WANT to learn a lot. I sometimes can't see the reasons to start at 3 years.....

I actually think you are lucky, because your son missed the cut off for kindergarten. he has one more year to adjust, learn the language, you can get settled and look around for nice schools ...
preschools usually are private and not free. you can find all price ranges, from 4 hours a week to full day. it is your decision, if you want your child to go or not.
however kindergarten is mandatory and the public one's are free.

When you are contacting schools, asks them for their ESL program to make sure, you son gets all the support he needs.

ps i did some research about rainbow mountain school a couple of months ago and the feedback from parents was mixed - that means, it just wasn't overwhelming. but that's something you find very often, when you are looking for online reviews.

did you see this one http://www.odysseycommunity.org/ ? just came across their site. first impression is a good one.

Last edited by queenofbavaria; 02-23-2010 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM

Hello! You will soon have to change your nickname on the post
I see that we share the same sense of education...
what is the ELS program?
Concerning schools, and as far as my researches led me (Asheville Preschools, NC and North Carolina Daycare - Savvy Source) : the Emmanuel Luther School, the Blue Ridge Montessori, the Academy of Asheville, seem to be nice for us. Have you ever heard about the Casa de bambini?
Oh my God, as we say in French : "my head is full", and in German if I remember well "ich habe die nase voll"
I really want him to be happy with this big change... and he is so happy with his school and friends of Marseille that it will be more difficult!
so in France, school is compulsory at the age of 6 before we have also preschools from 3 to 6, both in public and private. they mostly play, listen to stories, but also try to write their name, count, and start learn their ABC... we also receive a kind of report from his teacher, which I think stupid... for 4 y.o children...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM

preschools - WNC Mom (http://www.wncmom.com/forum/topics/1104257:Topic:6303 - broken link)

maybe you know this forum (mums in asheville)?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,906,965 times
one of the first things you might have to look for are french speaking friends with children, so he still has something he is used to.
this might be something for you too Find a Meetup Group Near You! - French Language Meetups - Asheville and over the website about the moms club you might also find some nice (french speaking) contacts.

overall you are really lucky to start all over in an area like asheville (regarding culture, people, food, diversity, outdoor life ....)
It seems very european to me.
I hear a lot from europeans who ended up in oklahoma, texas, arkansas .... they are alright with it - but not happy.
big issue for us europeans is bread e.g.
you will be suprised by the price, but the quality I found in the city bakery for example was great and comparable to what we are used back home.

and - the wine is pretty good too. you can even find some decent cheeses (sorry, americans, no offense, sometimes you just NEED something like certain bread and cheese to feel like home )

and, yes, 'ich habe die nase auch voll' - sometimes (sorry, admin, I know, only english here ) - but browsing the internet can also be very educating (for people who need an excuse for being online to often )

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
one of the first things you might have to look for are french speaking friends with children, so he still has something he is used to.
this might be something for you too Find a Meetup Group Near You! - French Language Meetups - Asheville and over the website about the moms club you might also find some nice (french speaking) contacts.

overall you are really lucky to start all over in an area like asheville (regarding culture, people, food, diversity, outdoor life ....)
It seems very european to me.
I hear a lot from europeans who ended up in oklahoma, texas, arkansas .... they are alright with it - but not happy.
big issue for us europeans is bread e.g.
you will be suprised by the price, but the quality I found in the city bakery for example was great and comparable to what we are used back home.

and - the wine is pretty good too. you can even find some decent cheeses (sorry, americans, no offense, sometimes you just NEED something like certain bread and cheese to feel like home )

and, yes, 'ich habe die nase auch voll' - sometimes (sorry, admin, I know, only english here ) - but browsing the internet can also be very educating (for people who need an excuse for being online to often )
Thanks! i've subscribed on the meeting group ! Hope to get some interesting information about schools...
I will tell you more soon !

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Concerning cheese... and red wine... you can imagine that I'm a professional who wants some camembert?!!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM

229 posts, read 689,612 times
for Odyssey! A very caring and nurturing environment!
Quote:
hi there,

It is much more liberal in europe than it is here. If you want to enroll your child in preschool/childcare/school, they give you a form for your pediatrician to fill out.

In general I am pro vaccines, just did not like the time pressure, to do so as early as possible.
I found a great doctor who allowed me to take the time and do the vaccines step by step. others were not even open to discuss this issue
to me if felt wrong to bother a newborn babies organism with 5 shots at a time ....

If you have concerns about a certain vaccine, there are waivers (a form to decline it) for it. You don't have to have religious reasons for that (as others say). If you need more information, i can find out, where to get this waiver. usually it has to be accepted by the school.

In germany children start school with 6 years. before that they go to 'kindergarten' for 2-3 years and they mostly play, if possible outside, there is not a lot of academical challenge - which I like. If some kids are ready earlier, they will be supported in writing and reading, of course.

when children start kindergarten here, most of them know their ABCs already, can write their full name etc since they usually start in preschool to learn all that.
that works for many children, but not for everybody and to me it's kind of sad, kids can't just play and learn how to socialize, but already get reportcards and some pressure. by the age of 6 almost everybody is ready for reading and writing and they WANT to learn a lot. I sometimes can't see the reasons to start at 3 years.....

I actually think you are lucky, because your son missed the cut off for kindergarten. he has one more year to adjust, learn the language, you can get settled and look around for nice schools ...
preschools usually are private and not free. you can find all price ranges, from 4 hours a week to full day. it is your decision, if you want your child to go or not.

When you are contacting schools, asks them for their ESL program to make sure, you son gets all the support he needs.

ps i did some research about rainbow mountain school a couple of months ago and the feedback from parents was mixed - that means, it just wasn't overwhelming. but that's something you find very often, when you are looking for online reviews.

did you see this one Odyssey Community - Asheville's Private Integral School ? just came across their site. first impression is a good one.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
hi there,

did you see this one Odyssey Community - Asheville's Private Integral School ? just came across their site. first impression is a good one.
hello!
I forgot yesterday to answer you about the vaccination : I'm really interested in the waiver you were talking about.
Thank you!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
for Odyssey! A very caring and nurturing environment!
Hello !
Do you know this school? Maybe do you have your child there? Could you tell us more about it? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina