Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:48 AM

32 posts, read 66,069 times

Advertisements

Hi Guy Friendly,

Sorry your house didn't work out. I am in virtually the same boat as you. I, too, am frustrated and I've been looking a lot longer and I am very particular as well. I have a month to month rental and I am looking for a place in Yancey/Mitchell counties. I have spent a tremendous amount of time (and gas) driving around looking at properties that aren't as they appear on the MLS listing. I had no idea that this would be so difficult and frustrating. I have a realtor but no written contract. I just call him if I drive by something that has potential so I can see inside.
The other frustration is not knowing what to offer. So many properties here have been listed for one or two years, so the prices have to be inflated. There are no comps to speak of..........it isn't easy. I am paying cash as well. I know this isn't helping you but at least you know you aren't alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM

756 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Misery loves company? LOL. Thanks tttrib. May I ask who you are using as a Realtor? You can DM me with the info so we don't violate at rules here. Thanks! And good luck with your ongoing search.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 PM

32 posts, read 66,069 times
Hi GuyFriendly,

I'd be happy to give you his name but I don't know what "DM" is! Sorry, I'm new to this. Let me know and I'll send it along.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrib View Post
Hi GuyFriendly,

I'd be happy to give you his name but I don't know what "DM" is! Sorry, I'm new to this. Let me know and I'll send it along.
LOL. "DM" is "Direct Message." Just email me at john@grandmemories.com. That will be easier. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrib View Post
Hi Guy Friendly,

Sorry your house didn't work out. I am in virtually the same boat as you. I, too, am frustrated and I've been looking a lot longer and I am very particular as well. I have a month to month rental and I am looking for a place in Yancey/Mitchell counties. I have spent a tremendous amount of time (and gas) driving around looking at properties that aren't as they appear on the MLS listing. I had no idea that this would be so difficult and frustrating. I have a realtor but no written contract. I just call him if I drive by something that has potential so I can see inside.
The other frustration is not knowing what to offer. So many properties here have been listed for one or two years, so the prices have to be inflated. There are no comps to speak of..........it isn't easy. I am paying cash as well. I know this isn't helping you but at least you know you aren't alone!
The situation you describe is EXACTLY why you need a good local realtor who has been in the area for decades.

Realtors like that "know where all the bodies are buried" They know little tidbits of info about properties that you will not find in any official tax record or written down anywhere at all! They also know of people who may want to sell but who are not even listed! People in the mountains are very reserved - they won't deal with just anybody. As an outsider coming in, you sometimes need an insider as your passport to situations you would never know about otherwise.

And likewise, when you do find a property you want to make an offer on, a good realtor who knows the local score can advise you on what to offer even when there are no good comps based on local info they know that you don't.

THIS is why I told GuyFriendly to find a realtor, not because he needs help negoiating the contract.

Frankly, any outsider coming in who doesn't have a local realtor on their side is handicapping themselves, in my opinion

Old 02-22-2010, 03:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
I agree lM!!!! I had a Buyer's Realtor who suggested an opening bid far lower than I would have had the nerve to offer....I agree w/ Guy that the fee IS rolled into the final price....if I understand correctly, Guy, are you ONLY looking at FSBO's? If that's the case, you are missing alot of GREAT listings on the market. As far as negotiating, I owned a very successful publishing biz for 14 years and did most of the selling, I negotiated w/ printers, distributors, advertisers I don't care how savvy you are....a GOOD Buyer's agent is worth his/her weight in gold! Btw, the house you walked away from WASN'T your 'DREAM HOME' You will know for sure when you find it and it will be yours to lovingly care for and enjoy! I also upgraded the amps in my 120+ year old farm and put in propane and central heat and air. One morning, a few years ago, heat was fine upstairs and 30+ degrees downstairs, I called my contractor and we assumed it was an HVAC issue....it wasn't, I was out of gas (gas co. thought I was a summer resident) YET...upstairs worked...I'm not great at techie things, I sure am learning alot about manure management!!!!!! LOL!!!! Does that mean I have a heat pump????? It hasn't been an issue since I am on a regular schedule...and I do have 2 gas fireplaces hooked up to gas line in case power goes out. GOOD LUCK!!!!! The house you posted in the other thread looks FABULOUS!!!!! Keep looking for the "DREAM HOUSE'!!!!! Annie

Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I agree lM!!!! I had a Buyer's Realtor who suggested an opening bid far lower than I would have had the nerve to offer....I agree w/ Guy that the fee IS rolled into the final price....if I understand correctly, Guy, are you ONLY looking at FSBO's? If that's the case, you are missing alot of GREAT listings on the market. As far as negotiating, I owned a very successful publishing biz for 14 years and did most of the selling, I negotiated w/ printers, distributors, advertisers I don't care how savvy you are....a GOOD Buyer's agent is worth his/her weight in gold! Btw, the house you walked away from WASN'T your 'DREAM HOME' You will know for sure when you find it and it will be yours to lovingly care for and enjoy! I also upgraded the amps in my 120+ year old farm and put in propane and central heat and air. One morning, a few years ago, heat was fine upstairs and 30+ degrees downstairs, I called my contractor and we assumed it was an HVAC issue....it wasn't, I was out of gas (gas co. thought I was a summer resident) YET...upstairs worked...I'm not great at techie things, I sure am learning alot about manure management!!!!!! LOL!!!! Does that mean I have a heat pump????? It hasn't been an issue since I am on a regular schedule...and I do have 2 gas fireplaces hooked up to gas line in case power goes out. GOOD LUCK!!!!! The house you posted in the other thread looks FABULOUS!!!!! Keep looking for the "DREAM HOUSE'!!!!! Annie
Thanks

Knowing the way things work in the mountains can be key to having a successful experience buying there AND living there - and again, you'd never catch me depending on a heat pump

Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM

LMBO - no, I am not looking only at FSBOs. And I am not looking on one RE site but many. And I can negotiate better than some agents. And I said I am NOT depending solely on a heat pump, nor would I rely solely on a propane heater. *sigh* I know what I am doing and if I need help, I will seek it. But I will NOT sign an exclusive contract with any RE agent. To me, that is stupid with a capital S. Like going to buy a new car and limiting yourself to one dealer.

I have tapped all kinds of resources in my search - including some agents, without signing anything. I repeat: one exclusive agent only RESTRICTS you. Don't tie both hands behind your back - do your own research and learn from every contact.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
somehow I don't doubt you know wayyy more about buying and selling
than me. I believe you when you say you know what you are doing.
I am also very independant and loved doing my own searches but when it came down to the wire ---
We were spoiled in the fact that we have always worked with our friend who is as
independant of a realtor as one can get.
hence no big company pushing their listings, if that is one of your concerns I do
understand that.

I loved going with a realtor who had given my access to all the info I wanted
and who just knew areas where we were buying better than me.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
Hi Guy,
I am so sorry the home you liked in Burnsville didn't work out. I am wondering if you have checked out Black Mountain yet. They have a half-dozen nice homes in your price range right now, signs in the yard, one a couple blocks due east of the lake, another one up beside the golf course, and then there's always some bigger ones in more natural areas. As usual there's no-good houses, but more often really neat ones for the money, and as long as you'uns gets a fireplace, hit don matter what yer heet source. The art scene in Black Mountain is very active, two organizations, plus potters do their thing outside in summer, several galleries and yrly music festival. There are a few hiking trails, from easy to hard and a yearly one, plus the gentile stroll around Lake Tomahawk is so fine. And it's not far from Asheville via I-40 (Swannanoa hwy is too busy), so the town doesn't feel remote and has all the necessities of life there. Just exit north straight into their cute downtown and go lookie, then ride around over in the neighborhood just east of Lake Tomahawk, and then go on up Montreat College way. To pinpoint listings further out in the woods, you'll have to look those up. Many people in this forum have positive impressions of Blk Mt and you can look up all those posts by doing a search of the community.
GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina