Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM

127 posts, read 474,902 times

Advertisements

The house looks great. Don't give up on Yancey county. It is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM

21 posts, read 46,919 times
Default Guyfriendly house

Guy, The house looks beautiful.Having lived in Vt for the past 30 years with frequent forays to Maine in all seasons I understand the confidence you have in managing the road in and driveway in winter. If you've lived in the north country you're used to the weather turning on a dime and you will get a lot less really bad winter weather in North Carolina even at that elevation.
If your wife becomes a convert to the house GO FOR IT. LIVE YOUR BLISS NOW! Linda

Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,750,983 times
My main puzzlement is why you posted this on a forum, when it's pretty clear that you had made up your mind and anyone whose answer differs from yours is going to be met with negativity.

You want the house, great. It does look lovely, and though that road would be a deal-breaker for me, you aren't concerned about it, so knock yer lights out! I'm more concerned that you appear to be so dismissive of your wife's concerns that what you think about the advice from any of us...other than the fact that it is pretty apparent that you aren't going to actually take any advice given on the forum, so again, I'm genuinely curious as to what the purpose of the post was in the first place, if not to get advice.

Enjoy the house, but I truly hope it that road does not become "an issue" for your marital happiness.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM

442 posts, read 1,505,309 times
The Friendlys have many Friends on the forum who have been following their journey for a long time. Guy has been kind enough to keep us all updated on their process. He is not a negative Guy! And as previous posters have suggested, that road must not be very steep (regardless of the photo) if he is able to ascend without 4-wheel drive with snow cover.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM

358 posts, read 782,695 times
From the posts I have read I am sure Guy can ascend tall mountains at a single bound. Faster than a ...... you know the rest.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM

756 posts, read 1,649,365 times
I have to say, the direction of this thread reminds me of when my wife was pregnant with our first child. Everyone had horror stories of throwing up, miscarriages, deformities, weight gains, stretch marks, rips and tears, epidurals, etc. etc. From all the feedback, you would have thought she was scared to death. But she read and talked with level heads and while delivery is never remotely close to painless, she did very well. She heard the same stories with our second child and was able to pass them off because she had experience.

I cannot leap tall buildings etc., but I am also not frightened by the horror stories. I have experience. That's all I'll say on the matter.

As for people worried about my relationship with my wife - 36 years. 'nuff said.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,492,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
Homeowner does the driveway, community does the road. Right now, the community is the builder. Later there will be 10 homes.

We met the builder today (great guy) and his wife. He showed us the inside and explained everything he could. We'll have more questions but this one looks good to me. As I said, though, I have to convince Mrs. Friendly. The size is right, the location good, the acreage very nice, etc. I'll tell all if we buy it - it is pretty amazing.
Nice house. If Mrs. Friendly comes around to your way of thinking, and if you decide to pursue this house more seriously, I would be a bit concerned about being the first in a new development. Western NC is littered with developments that weren't done properly to start with and/or not finished properly or left unfinished. You would be well-served to perform due diligence on the builder.... "great guy" or not.

Good luck in your house hunt, along whatever happy trails it may take you.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 PM

756 posts, read 1,649,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Nice house. If Mrs. Friendly comes around to your way of thinking, and if you decide to pursue this house more seriously, I would be a bit concerned about being the first in a new development. Western NC is littered with developments that weren't done properly to start with and/or not finished properly or left unfinished. You would be well-served to perform due diligence on the builder.... "great guy" or not.

Good luck in your house hunt, along whatever happy trails it may take you.
Absolutely. Good advice.

There is a second home well under way with construction. The third will wait for some proceeds from the first two. I understand the risks in being first or second... or even third or fourth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina