Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,271 times

Advertisements

About 2 years ago, I rented a car in Asheville, NC. A man walked into the rental dealership selling a HUGE jar of honey; apparently, he was selling it door to door to establishments. While the man behind the counter politely told him he wasn't interested (and later informed me this gentleman stopped by from time to time), I was intrigued and kind of felt bad for the guy, so I purchased a jar of jelly from him - he was only charging $10 and it was a HUGE JAR! He told me it would be the finest honey I will have ever tasted, and he was most certainly correct. I would love, love, love to order more from him, but I no longer have the jar! All other honey I have tried truly pales in comparison to what this man sold me - I'm forever changed and saddened until I can get my hands on some more. It really seemed like a mom and pop operation, but he did have a sticker on his honey jar with his business and phone number. Please, does anybody have any idea about who I am talking about?????? Thank you!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
If he was a regular there why not call the rental office where you met him and ask them?

PS: let us know if you find him.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
My guess is it was "Sourwood honey"...
if you can read his label, why not call him.

Keep in mind, everyone's honey varies considerably from
year to year, based on micro climate, growing season that
year, what trees & flowers the bee keepers' bees worked on,
etc. Many bee keepers/honey makers even have early and
late honey, eg Spring and Fall honey...

And, lots of "sourwood" honey is often a mixture as
straight or only sourwood is hard to guarantee. Very good
"sourwood" is often sourwood and tulip poplar based honey.
GL, mD

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Its pretty easy for bee keepers to get pure sourwood honey since the trees bloom in midsummer unlike most of the other flowering trees. It makes a wonderfully light honey unlike jsut about any you have ever tasted.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM

279 posts, read 534,062 times
There's a guy who goes around Asheville re-selling various things he buys at the farmers market in west Asheville. You were right to feel bad- his retirement was wiped out by Enron.

Try the farmers market.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:25 PM

227 posts, read 728,453 times
If you don't have any luck have you checked the Appalacian grown site for other honey producers? It's also a fabulous source of other local food products north carolina County - Products: honey - Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project

Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,815 times
If he's the same guy who sold me honey (at both Westville Pub one night and also at Asheville Pizza and Brewing) then I'm on the hunt for him too - it's the best! Mine was a gold label and said it was Sourwood Honey (which should be harvested soon, from what I've read) and the name on it was Carl Edwards. It also had a phone number and address, but the jar was washed to be reused and the label is long gone I've googled him to no avail, but I'm going to try the farmers market soon to see if any is sold there. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 7,345 times
This man lives in Hiawassee,Georgia , the Bee Barn is located on Bugscuffle Road Hiawassee Georgia 30546, It is sold in Ingles Supermarkets

Old 02-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Just a reminder that the town of Black Mountain has a sourwood honey festival each year--last year it was mid-August. I bought a whole quart of it and have been enjoying it ever since. It can be hit and miss from year to year since the trees don't produce a massive amount of blossoms each year. Two years ago was a miserable year for sourwood honey but last year was an especially good and long season

Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
I don't know if you'll ever find a generic man selling honey door to door, but good luck. I agree on the Sour Wood honey, I bought some at the flea market here, a quart jar for $9.00. It is wonderful, I'm using it to sweeten my coffee, but I imagine it could be used for syrup as well, it is delicious.

The honey I got was from Griffin Produce out of Knoxville, TN. Their contact info is online, but Sourwood honey it is. I was using some clover honey that I bought from a chain store, absolutely no comparison, 180 degree difference.

Good luck on your honey search, but the jar I bought is delicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina