Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 PM

756 posts, read 1,648,237 times

Advertisements

We saw a house there that might "fit the bill." Mrs. Friendly likes it and I am OK with it. Some caveats about size and other things (like why has it been on the market 560 days?) but all in all quite nice.

Built in 2004, it is 2349 SF on 5 acres of land, and one level (good for old folks, I guess). No garage, but that can be remedied in time. Log cabin style inside and out with a metal roof.

So, whatever you can tell us about Leicester, pro and con, would be helpful. Thanks!

The house:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,210,142 times
WOW!!!! The house is GORGEOUS!!!! All I know about Leicester is that it's pronounced Lester and it's VERY convient to downtown Asheville...a lady in 1 of my art classes was from Leicester and she and her hubby loved it! GOOD LUCK!!!! I LOVE house hunting even if it's vicariously thru you! LOL!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM

127 posts, read 474,545 times
The house is beautiful, but I personally do not like Leicester. In my opinion Leicester is nothing more than a large rural area of Buncombe county missing its own identify. It does not have a true downtown and is lacking the charm found in other rural areas that actually have downtowns such as Burnsville, Weaverville, Mars Hill and Hot Springs. However to Leicester’s defense it is convenient to West Asheville. Some of the scariest people that you see on the local news seem to be from Leicester.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 PM

765 posts, read 2,559,163 times
As we've said in other threads each community has its good side and bad side. Leicester is old farming land that is rapidly being overrun with mini-estates. You will see some beautiful houses out there like the one pictured and you will see dumpy ones--sometime right next to each other. My buddy lives out there and he loves it, has a nice house on 2 acres and jokes about his dumb redneck neighbors (his words not mine since I don't know his neighbors). You just have to get out there and explore the area and make sure that there's' no old grandfathered chicken ranches, etc. that you can't live with and if not then go for it! Good luck, hope this one works out for you, it sure looks like a nice house--Larry

Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 AM

467 posts, read 1,184,921 times
I agree! That's a super lovely house. My main concerns would be 1) how close to/off of Leicester Hwy it sits... and 2) the "grandfathered chicken ranches" situation. We passed on a home out that way for that very reason. Also, the further up you go, the Hwy turns into single lane both ways and is traveled very fast by locals. But, then again, I guess a lot of roads are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmors View Post
Some of the scariest people that you see on the local news seem to be from Leicester.
"Guns and beer. Beer and guns".

Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,381,418 times
it is listed as a 2 bedroom , is this true? hard to believe with that kind of sq.ft.
that could be one reason it has not sold , combined with
perhaps low demand in that area and the economy.
do you know what it was listed for 500 days ago?
that will also be telling, they might have chased the market down.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,381,418 times
ps. I also noticed that most listings had pics that were taken
during summer months , maybe everything up there has been on
the market for 1 year+ , maybe you should not worry about the days on market.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM

756 posts, read 1,648,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
I agree! That's a super lovely house. My main concerns would be 1) how close to/off of Leicester Hwy it sits... and 2) the "grandfathered chicken ranches" situation.
It is 9 minutes of Leicester Hwy and 14 to the Post Office. The road in from 240 to L-Hwy was horrible. Traffic backed up like crazy at 12:30 pm on a Friday.

I have since found out more about this house that makes me not want it (although my wife still thinks she likes it). More later.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,210,142 times
Hey, Cofga (Larry) I can only imagine what your friend's neighbors think about your buddy w/ his charming (NOT) attitude. I'm sure (NOT) they make him feel very welcome. I despise insults no matter who said what.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM

957 posts, read 2,611,349 times
I know from my time living in the Asheville area (2002-2008) that it was not known as a desirable area. Lots of accidents on those roads up there, and a lot of rundown trailers very near decent homes and neighborhoods. As was stated above, you'd hear a lot on the news about not so good things happening in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina