U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,435 times

Advertisements

I stumbled across a CraigsList Reference to The Villages at Crest Mountain and then via Google also just Crest Mountain. They may be one and the same but the respective WEBsites have a different "flavor".

I did search the form with no "hits".

Some have talked about Green-Eco construction/living and The Villages seems - at a very first blush - to be a lot about that, but it also seems to be much more - in my words - community involvement/engagement.

Digging a little deeper it is not "cheap" to be green with $300/sq-ft more or less on the advertised houses - not sure if that includes the homesite - likely not.

Just curious - no preconceptions, bias etc - just honest curiosity.

What do you know about it?

Thanks,

Pete

Last edited by ptoemmes; 03-19-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,520,217 times
I typed in "the villages at crest mountain" in google search and the first hit returns their web site:

The Villages at Crest Mountain - Asheville & WNC

Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,520,217 times
This is just my opinion, but the thing about these types of communities is that they are basically isolated from the surrounded community (much like the many gated communities that dot the landscape). I would prefer to live in a home that is integrated within the overall community, rather than one that separates itself from the overall community.

Not a big fan of "subdivisions", which is basically what this is. But to each his own.

As to the prices, I think just as much a reflection of the cost of living in Asheville as it is the cost of "green" features. But you're right, it is going to cost you more up front than the average "non-green" home.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:23 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,581,160 times
we looked into that development too, since we kind of liked the whole idea. but then it turned out, that the schools were only about average, the homes a little small (we have three kids, 2 home offices and tons of company) - and for that kind of pricey.
And - I got a little scared away, since you would live secluded and you can only hope, your neighbors will be great - at least decent - people. if not, you are stuck in a development with not too many options.

but, as mentioned, we are not the type of family for a gated community anyway, and I can imagine, that's what it would feel like.

you should be able to build green between 120 and 150 per sqft - maybe not fancy, but solid and green.

we are going to build green and will end up with way under 400 000 for a green house and lot. pm me, when you need more information.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:23 PM

24 posts, read 71,626 times
I came across the master plan online the other night and wanted to see the layout, so I drove out there today.

There are a few houses in place, but they're huge and out of place from what I pictured in the master plan. There were a few others going up that looked more in line with the plan, but it's too early to get much of a feel.

Personally, I have issues with this development starting with the location. The surrounding area is a bit trashy. I'll be the first to admit that I'm picky about location. Aesthetics are important to me, and I would not buy into any neighborhood where I'll need to drive by yards filled with junk piles and run down mobile homes.

Secondly, this is a community in the works. What the master plan hopes to achieve and what will develop could end up being polar opposites. It's going to take the right chemistry of people to make this community fly. I would be reluctant to buy into such a development until I saw the finished product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina