Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,304 times

Advertisements

I know Asheville has a pretty interesting restaraunt scene, and I was wondering if any of you work within it. How is the industry? Are the restaurants doing ok? How quickly would one expect to be able to find a job? Is the hiring usually seasonal or year-round?

Basically, what I'm asking is this: As a cook searching for a new hometown, is Asheville available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Being that Asheville is a tourist mecca, yes, it has a thriving restaurant scene. Hospitality (food industry related) jobs are big here and it seems there's always "A new place to eat!" on my list with the most recent being Katmandu Cafe.

On the flipside I'd suspect there would be a good deal of competition in regard to a good paying (cooking) job that reflects this. While I don't have the data to back this, my observation has been there's a good amount of chef owned/operated eateries.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,901 times
I've always wondered why Asheville has no Korean resturants. There are a ton of chinese and Japanese ( some of them fake Japanese ) and others, but no Korean. If a good *authentic* Korean place opened, I think it would do well.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
I've always wondered why Asheville has no Korean resturants.
Same here. And an authentic Vietnamese restaurant.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
I used to live in NOVA outside DC and I don't even remember a Korean restaurant there so I'm not surprised we don't have one here. I do miss the Vietnamese though--come Thai restaurants have Vietnamese items on their menus though--Larry

Old 03-23-2010, 12:26 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
I'd vote for a good Vietnamese restaurant. I'd also put in a plug for a Lebanese restaurant.

Larry, if you get back up to NOVA, there is a place next to the Arlington Court House Metro called Me Jana. Best Lebanese I've ever had. I loved Lebanese Taverna, but Me Jana put it to shame. I've gotten to the point when I travel to DC I stay at the Residence Inn at Arlington Court House, which happens to be across the street from the restaurant.

As far as the restaurant climate, I'm not sure how good or bad it is right now. A few establish places bit the dust in the last year or so. Most places we've been lately have had decent crowds, but I don't know how much damage has been done.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 PM

It looks to me like some of the higher priced establishments went down along with some at the low end that were at the tipping point already. Then you have Tupelo Honey opening another restaurant in Arden in last month or so. We love to go there for breakfast just for their killer biscuits and blackberry preserves. One telling fact is that some restaurants like 12 Bones and Luellas close for about a month each winter--not enough business in January to make a profit. However the spring/summer/fall tourist season will be here soon enough and the long cold winter will be behind the survivors--sort of like natural selection at work, survival of the fittest! Maybe Peter will chime in on this--he is a co-owner of Zambras in town and usually has some good advice on this subject--Larry

Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,304 times
I appreciate the responses, but I'm really looking for someone who works in the industry to lend their perspective. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you don't have an insider's perspective on the job market, then you aren't really helping.

Thanks again for the responses, though, I do appreciate you trying to help.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,901 times
I thought you might be interested in areas of the market around here that are underserved and a chance for an entrepreneur to get into the area.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseibel View Post
I appreciate the responses, but I'm really looking for someone who works in the industry to lend their perspective. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you don't have an insider's perspective on the job market, then you aren't really helping.

Thanks again for the responses, though, I do appreciate you trying to help.
I'm afraid you're not going to get much of a response then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina