Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM

120 posts, read 390,626 times

Advertisements

As I just stated in another thread, after an unexpected life detour late last year, we just received the green light for an extended visit to Asheville in April!

We appreciate any and all of your recommendations for things you think we:

must see
must do
must eat at
must shop at
must experience while in Asheville
etc, etc, etc...

The goal of the trip is to simply immerse ourselves into the Asheville culture and be one the residents (though, at this stage, temporary). We just want to go and do and live like the local residents do. Not the tourist scene. We have rented a house in/near/around downtown for the time we will be there.

Look forward to your ideas and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
I live here and still cannot help but have my "tourist days".

Places and things I recommend:

- Festival of Flowers at Biltmore House
- The Botanical Gardens (downtown off of Merrimon)
- NC Arboretum
- Asheville Tourist baseball game
- Visit the Grove Park Inn
- Visit the River Arts District
- Live music somewhere in the evening
- Park and spend the day downtown: Lunch, coffee, bookstores, antique stores, street performers, etc...
- Places to eat: Early Girl Eatery, Tupelo Honey, Noodle Shop, Mela, Mamacitas Mexican Grill, City Bakery Cafe and Chocolate Fetish are some favorites located downtown.

I also highly recommend that you pick-up a Mountain Xpress paper. They are free and come out every Wednesday with a big A&E guide towards the back. Not hard to find, as most places have them near the entrance. You can also find them at the entrance of any Ingles grocery store.

Hope this helps

Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks angrycandy for the tips and some of your favorite "must do" things to do in Asheville! Some of these I have on my list but you also gave me some new ideas and perspective too -- like just spend a day downtown. A friend of mine said it is a great place to people watch! I am very much into gardening and nature. And enjoy exploring neighborhoods for what is unique in each with shops/restaurants. Will definitely pick up a Mountain Xpress.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
The Laughing Seed for a huge menu featuring terrific vegetarian food right downtown on Wall St.

After dinner, walk down the Seed's staircase to Jack in the Wood (faces Patton Ave.), a cozy Irish pub with great local beer (and other drinks) and live music beginning usually about 9:00 PM. (Call ahead to confirm there will be music that night, but there usually is.) OR... if you're not fond of even the best vegetarian, order fish tacos or Irish stew at Jack's and make that your meal. Jack's menu is limited--hey, it's a pub--but the food is good and the atmosphere makes it even better! These are two of our favorite downtown spots.

After the pub, stroll downtown and listen for music wafting from almost every block (especially on weekends). Explore!

Visit the Center for Creative Retirement on the UNC-Asheville campus. It's five minutes north of town. Just pick up literature at the Reuter Center and look around. This place is a GEM, and there's no age requirement for membership. Lots of benefits for a pittance per year. One of our VERY favorite things about Asheville.

Take an afternoon to meander the Parkway and enjoy a little side hike. Look for wildlife.

We would definitely second angryCandy's list if you have time. Walking through the Grove Park Inn, for example, is a free mini-vacation all by itself. (It's expensive to eat there, but it's a treat.)

Have a great time!

Jan

Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Tupelo Honey in Asheville (downtown) for breakfast!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Tupelo Honey in Asheville (downtown) for breakfast!
I'll second this. We love to go there for Sunday brunch. Warning, don't get any sides as the biscuits alone will stuff you, and the meals will overstuff you. Early Girl Eatery is another good bet for breakfast as well as meals. Maybe we'll meet you at one fo them for breakfast once you hit town--Larry

PS--also visit the River Arts District and hit 12 bones for lunch. Great pulled pork and ribs and the other local delicacy CheerWine on tap.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks, ComSense, for the Tupelo Honey vote.

Thanks, Jan, as always for your post and all the great ideas and good vibrations! Perhaps one day us two SW PA girls can meet up!

And Larry, always appreciate and look forward to your posts. We are certainly open to meeting you for breakfast. Will direct message you.

Just this morning, on my walk, I started to really sense the energy of Asheville that is coming my way. Counting the days now!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
Tupelo Honey for sure, as long as you dont mind waiting an hour to get in!

Also check out Stoney Knob Cafe. Its up towards Weaverville on Merrimon, but they have the BEST Sunday Brunch. We went to Stoney Knob probably 3-4 times a week, for lunch or dinner and we ALWAYS had our sunday brunch there. Ask for Kate or Katie or Suzanne.. they were our favorite servers.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
Tupelo Honey for sure, as long as you dont mind waiting an hour to get in!

Also check out Stoney Knob Cafe. Its up towards Weaverville on Merrimon, but they have the BEST Sunday Brunch. We went to Stoney Knob probably 3-4 times a week, for lunch or dinner and we ALWAYS had our sunday brunch there. Ask for Kate or Katie or Suzanne.. they were our favorite servers.
Depends on when you get there. First time we went there we were seated immediately. Couple weeks ago we got there a little late and had to wait about 10 minutes. Both times were for breakfast and dinner seating may be longer. They have a nice waiting area in the rear of the dining area with free coffee or you can hang around outside on the street--Larry

Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
can't wait to try the Tupelo ! I got a gift card from my delaware friends for my birthday (they just googled for a nice place to eat in asheville ) and it looks like they did a good job !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina