U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM

374 posts, read 1,163,329 times

Advertisements

Happy Spring! My 50 pound Russell Pit mix came a across a dark colored toad last night. He made the mistake of trying to pick it up.. He started shaking his head, foaming at the mouth, rolling his eyes in his head. I ran in the house and got water and poured it in his mouth and then I got milk and poured that in his mouth. After a about ten minutes he seemed better.. Got some of it on my hand and it burned like acid! Did I do the right thing for him? He is fine this morning.. I would appreciate your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 AM

571 posts, read 1,079,266 times
Yes!, and your dog was very lucky. That was a species of Bufo toad and they are deadly. Read this page for more information: Bufo Toad Poisoning

Hymnsinger

Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Default Frogs

Thank you very much for that information.. It scared me half to death! I'll give my vet a call just to be safe..

Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM

442 posts, read 929,760 times
Wow, thanks hymnsinger for the good information!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

108 posts, read 237,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Yes!, and your dog was very lucky. That was a species of Bufo toad and they are deadly. Read this page for more information: Bufo Toad Poisoning

Hymnsinger
Thanks for the info! The article says southern Florida... what are those things doing in WNC??? And how common are they here?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 PM

571 posts, read 1,079,266 times
Post Bufonidae

Cane toads are very common in the Piedmont and other areas of Western NC, being an invasive species. Most are escapes, and many Bufo toads are now hybrids, as they are not shy with each other! There are several different varieties of Bufo toads, family Bufonidae. Bufo marinus is the one in Florida.The one you most likely saw was Bufo fowleri, Fowlers Toad. They are all toxic to some degree, the Cane Toad (Bufo marinus) being the most toxic that I know of. There may be others in South America that I'm not aware of. Fowlers Toad is found in the entire NE US From FL to MI.All that said, invasive or not, all toads are beneficial when it comes to insect control. The larger Bufo will even eat bats, small birds, and other amphibs. They are especially fond of dog food and will hang out under your porch waiting for you to come out and feed the dog! They are not shy and will stay and eat while you watch! Your dog will not likely touch another one, but if they are hanging out, put on some disposable gloves, pick them up (head facing you!), and move them to a safer location. Also be aware they are attracted to light (bugs!).

So turn off the porch light at night and feed the dog inside and they will stay where they belong . . . in your yard eating bugs!

Blessings!
Tracey

Last edited by hymnsinger; 03-26-2010 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Spoke to the Vet's office and they told me to just watch him. But, since he is so much better this morning he should be just fine.. I'm still shaken up! He is such a sweet dog. We adopted him from a no kill shelter on August of 09..

Last edited by Wendyb0077; 03-26-2010 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-27-2010, 11:34 AM

54 posts, read 76,792 times
I'm happy your dog is okay - and high fives for adopting from a shelter instead of a breeder, reputable or not. We have too many unwanted animals being annilated daily because too many people seem to have to have a particular breed. For those who wish to go the breeder route, try a breed specific rescue site.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Default Adopted Dog!

Thank you.. We couldn't have asked for a sweeter dog.. Adopted him from Mercy Animal Rescue out of Marion, NC.. They take wonderful care of the animals and are dedicated to getting them good homes.. I know how overwhelmed they are.. and they need help.. but they continue to sit in Walmart Parking lot week after week trying to get these animals good homes.. God Bless them!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 PM

108 posts, read 237,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRuns View Post
I'm happy your dog is okay - and high fives for adopting from a shelter instead of a breeder, reputable or not. We have too many unwanted animals being annilated daily because too many people seem to have to have a particular breed. For those who wish to go the breeder route, try a breed specific rescue site.
I see we have someone here who has bought into the animal rights agenda.
Well, back home in New England, the AR folks have been SO successful that there are no adoptable dogs in the shelters, and dogs are being imported from here in the south and from Mexico (bringing in all manner of diseases, BTW).

If every living dog is sterilized, just where do you think your next companion will come from?

That said, I am dismayed by the dog situation here in the south! I have never seen so many dogs running loose, dead dogs on the road, dogs tied to trees/bushes/dog houses. It's the one thing I don't like about having moved here. But you can't legislate compassion. Changing this societies views of animals (all animals) is going to take a very long time.

As to people wanting certain breeds, you are not going to change that. People are people. Dog breeds were created for particular reasons. This will not change. To get back on topic, maybe someone should develop a toad resistant dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina