Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a trip to the Biltmore Estate and it got me curious. They own the largest house in America, but where do they live now? A tour guide told me they or at least the man that runs Biltmore still lives in the area. Just wondering how they live now. Do they have an extravagent home or is it a modest home? Do any of the family live on the estate in other houses? I saw a few houses on the grounds and was curious about who lived in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Default Biltmore Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
We just got back from a trip to the Biltmore Estate and it got me curious. They own the largest house in America, but where do they live now? A tour guide told me they or at least the man that runs Biltmore still lives in the area. Just wondering how they live now. Do they have an extravagent home or is it a modest home? Do any of the family live on the estate in other houses? I saw a few houses on the grounds and was curious about who lived in them.
About 10 years ago, my sister-in-law who is a teacher, went to his house for something about Warren Wilson College. This is where she went to school. Others from Warren Wilson were there too I think. This house is located in Biltmore Forest which is a tiny town near the Biltmore area that was all once owned by the Vanderbilts. She said it was a nice house but not pretentious at all. The folks were very down to earth. I assume they still live there. There are books about the Vanderbilts in Asheville. I once read when the land was found to build the mansion, all the land that he could see from that spot, Vanderbilt bought up. There is a record that he bought land from my Grandfather, but that was not unusual since he bought up so much land. Most of the land was donated to the government to make the Pisgah National Forest after taxes were charged to landowners.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
The tour guide said there were some 600 land transactions that occured for Mr. Vanderbilt to accumulate his property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina