Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM

22 posts, read 41,923 times

Advertisements

Hey, everybody. I'm a displaced southern belle currently living in Chicago - probably not one of my better ideas. We're leaving Chicago at the end of September/beginning of October and we're looking to move to western NC, around Murphy. My husband and I are looking for rural and mountains and from what we've seen, Cherokee county looks like the place for us!

I did want to ask about employment opportunities, especially working outdoors (I've read that there are three national parks in the area). Are there viable opportunities? And is it difficult to find housing (rental and, eventually, buying)? I've really got my heart set on this area, especially since we're wanting to start a family soon and this is the type of area that we both grew up with.

Any help is appreciated (and any friends made before we move a plus!) and I thank you for your time. ^__^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,606 times
The drive from Franklin, in Macon County, to Murphy, was always one of my favorite drives. Chunky Gal mountain is not to be missed! :-)

How much time have you spent in and around Murphy? It is a town of around 1700 population, in a county of approx. 28,000. It is indeed in some gorgeous countryside!

Some things to think about: the state of NC has distinguished itself quite recently as a recipient of additional housing aid because of our record high unemployment (the other states were OH, SC, OR, and RI.) Employment has always been scarce in rural western North Carolina - heck - it's tough in urban areas like Asheville! Wages are extremely low (a $10 an hour job is a "good job"), yet cost of living is not. It can be trying to find a place to live that's decent (not fancy, but with solid floors and ceiling!) and reasonably priced. Hopefully you have no debt and a lot of savings to float you through the move, unless you and your spouse pin down jobs before you move. That can be really tricky in rural areas - it's tough for outsiders who live there to get jobs, let alone outsiders who live elsewhere and plan to move.

Some other things to consider would be schools, churches or religious community (I am a UU and belong to the fellowship in Franklin, and we have members who make the long drive from Murphy because we're "it"! ), how important is proximity to medical care, hospitals ... and so on. Each person's list of things to think about is different!

I have friends who think that rural means living in a sub-division near some countryside, and driving 15 minutes to shopping. Heh! They would be surprised by my rural cabin in Franklin, with a well, no internet access, gravel road, visiting goats from Old Doc's place up the road, 15 miles to a small Walmart or Kmart, and pitch dark at night at least until the stars and moon shine. I'm not saying your definition of rural is out of kilter, just checking into what you mean, and what you may find in Murphy.

So I hope you have visited or will visit, and also do a fair amount of research over the web concerning US Forest Service jobs, medical center jobs, or self-employment in that area. It really is quite beautiful and special, and you'll enjoy it more if you're well prepared for it!

Best wishes on your venture, and keep us posted!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 PM

Thanks for your response! [shudder]Subdivisions[/shudder] We're looking to this area because we both love the mountains of NC and have both spent considerable time in them. We aren't familiar with Murphy and the surrounding area, but it's location is ideal for what we're after and still a close drive to most of our family (most within 2 hours or less). Hospitals are a little of a worry, but for worship - well, we're the type to worship together where ever we find ourselves.

We have been looking at the Forestry jobs, as we both feel that would be best for us, which was one reason I decided to try here. I wanted to know if anyone here knew much of these jobs or similar jobs. It's one thing to look these things up on the internet, but another to hear it from someone who lives in the area.

Hopefully we'll be able to make at least a couple of trips down this summer, but we're aiming for having a few thousand before we head down that way, either way. I'm actually currently looking for a job here to help those savings along (wish me luck as jobs are as scarce here as nearly everywhere else). I will definitely keep looking, and definitely keep you posted. ^__^

Again, thanks.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 AM

43 posts, read 115,614 times
The biggest hurdle you are going to have to cross is gaining employment. Trust me when I say outsiders do not get the jobs--at least 95% of them do not get jobs or it takes them a very long time to find one. Jobs are given to locals and those born/raised in the mountains. With all the budget cuts, I am sure the Forestry Dept has been hit hard as well. It is beautiful around here and the people are really nice, but unless you were born in this area and coming back to live, the jobs will always be hard to come by.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 14,803 times
High unemployment rate in this rural area right now, but seasonal jobs are the mainstay for many families in the area, so the numbers usually go up during "tourist season" when many are employed in the associated businesses. The Murphy area is beautiful, but remember that access to medical care, shopping malls, and "big-city" events means that you must drive, drive, drive! Once you move to the mountains, you get used to the driving, but transplants may find it difficult to deal with and gas isn't cheap!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. And, Ellen, for the driving - I was raised in south Mississippi and am quite used to it. I'm not too interested in "big-city" events, which is why we're looking to the area. I do appreciate everyone taking the time. ^__^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina