Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 28,484 times

Advertisements

These posts haven't seemed to get much response previously, but I figured I'd give it another try. I'll be moving to the North Asheville area in May, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a fitness center or gym.

I'm more interested in a place with free weights, cardio machines, and weight machines. Saunas, classes, and other bells and whistles aren't necessary.

I've seen recommendations for Biltmore Fitness, but was curious if anyone here went to places like Rush Fitness or anywhere else. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,750 times
Not sure I'd exactly recommend the place... for it is what it is and serves the purpose of shear convenience for me, but I have a Rush Fitness membership.

Unless you sign-up for the whole package, keep in mind that it will be location exclusive. I go to the Hendersonville Road (south AVL) location in the early morning hours 5 days/week before the rest of my family is up. Getting in/out for a few mi run and my weight lifting in is never a problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the response. I look forward to giving Rush Fitness a look.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 AM

24 posts, read 77,143 times
North Asheville is painfully short on fitness center options. The Y is probably the most convenient, but it's crowded, and the weight room (machines and free weights) is a joke...unbelievably small for the number of members.

The Y has opened the Woodfin facility up past Beaver Lake. It's a temporary facility in an office building, and it feels temporary. But it does have good equipment, and the staff is very nice.

Biltmore Fitness is lacking something. It has a lot of equipment (mostly old), plenty of space, and no big crowds to contend with. But I don't enjoy working out there. Maybe it's the lack of natural lighting, or the fact that I feel like I'm working out in an auto repair garage. The men's locker room seems like an afterthought, and the location is not ideal for those in N. Asheville. I might mention that it's not in great financial condition right now.

The Rush on Patton is about the only other choice. Lots of good equipment, pool, steam, sauna, and other of fitness options. However, the decor is a deterrent for many. Bright, electric colors and gang-graffiti type signage all over the place! It looks like it was designed to appeal to the under 18 crowd. Some can overlook that. I couldn't.

So there you have it. Slim-pickins!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,750 times
Every Rush location is like that.

OP, if you go with Rush, I suggest you carry an iPod at all times. The music they endlessly loop is equally horrible as the decor. The one and only time I forgot mine, I didn't even bother going in. Just cursed myself out and went back home.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 PM

Good stuff, guys. Thanks. I was curious about the YMCA, and you're kind of confirming my reservations about Rush Fitness.

How about Anytime Fitness, also on Patton Ave.? Anyone reading this have any experience there?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass View Post
Good stuff, guys. Thanks. I was curious about the YMCA, and you're kind of confirming my reservations about Rush Fitness.

How about Anytime Fitness, also on Patton Ave.? Anyone reading this have any experience there?
It's quite small without all the bells and whistles of Rush, but more reasonably priced and less hectic. If you're just interested in the basics -- free weights, cardio, and some classes -- then it's perfectly suitable. No pool/sauna, basketball court, or the latest weight machines or anything.

The YMCA on Woodfin St. is also an option (nice bball courts, swimming pool, sauna etc.).

Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 PM

24 posts, read 77,143 times
I should mention that there is the Grove Park Inn Fitness and Tennis center. It has a full weight room, including machines (Paramount), a cardio room, aerobics classes, indoor tennis courts and pool. Locker rooms are a good size, but there's no steam or sauna. It also pricey with a $150 membership fee and then around a hundred bucks a month.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Just wanted to thank you guys for your input on this thread. I joined up with the YMCA on Woodfin, after giving every place a look. The location works best for me, and I like the facilities.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass View Post
Just wanted to thank you guys for your input on this thread. I joined up with the YMCA on Woodfin, after giving every place a look. The location works best for me, and I like the facilities.
Good choice . . . I wish I had joined the Y on Woodfin St. instead. I might actually be able to get on the basketball courts every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina