Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,660,331 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at areas like Wilkes county and there seems to be a lot of homes with wells and septic systems. I remember many years ago having a well & septic and although I had no trouble with the septic system the well was a real pain. Has anyone any comments on current day septic systems and wells especially in NW NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:27 AM

729 posts, read 1,498,059 times
I am in Buncombe/Madison County but I can tell you that wells and septic are pretty much the rule of thumb in these parts. You have to be pretty close to town to get city services. epa.gov can give you a lot of good information on septic systems. As long as you do your maintenance on the system, clean it periodically and don't pour any noxious chemicals into your system it will last forever. When installing it, don't short change yourself. Don't put in a two bedroom (smaller) system just because it's you and a spouse. Get at least a three bedroom system or larger. When you go to sell your home you can only advertise the number of bedrooms that your system supports. So if it's a 2 bedroom system but your house has 4 bedrooms, too bad. You still only have a 2 bedroom home.

For wells, I have lived in three homes and paid to have the wells installed. As long as you go with a longstanding, professional company that stands by their installation then everything should be fine. No one can guarantee that they will hit water or how much but a long time pro can look at your land and the surrounding area and determine if the chances are good that you will hit water and also the best place to dig. Once the well is in place, a whole house filter will take care of sediment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina