Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:38 PM

10 posts, read 26,332 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are looking forward to getting out of Florida and starting a new life together in North Carolina Asheville area. However! We are not familiar at all with what areas are good compared to others. We are in our mid 30’s and I have 10 year old son. I need a highly rated elementary school, close to populated areas for shopping and yet quiet. Does anyone know good websites or good realtor companies that rent that may be able to assist? I am finding that people are not really willing to help us since we are looking to rent for the 1st year.
We plan on taking a trip up there for a week in Late July early Aug of this year. Moving to another state can be frustrating when you don’t know where to start and are not familiar with were you want to go. Some personable help would be refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,589 times
Hello!
My boyfriend and I are also looking at the Asheville area for relocation from Key West! I've found a couple of sites that you may find helpful.
Asheville, North Carolina, Guide to Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding WNC area.
Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce Relocation Information (http://www.ashevillechamber.org/relocation/index.asp - broken link)
Request a Visitors Guide | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site
MyNewPlace - Apartments, Apartments for Rent, Find Apartments, Apartment Guide

Try thesefor starters....they've been a good start for us. We're thinking of moving in about a year or so.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 AM

904 posts, read 2,864,603 times
Make sure you get a job before you move. My husband has been looking in the Asheville area for 3 months and we have our first job interview on Friday. I don't know what field you are in but high paying jobs seem to be hard to come by.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM

hhhhmmmm Interesting. Well, I am an office administrator/manager with 2 degrees and certifications. My fiance works over seas for a private company doing security so I think we will be fine but good to know about the job market! After all the stress I have had in the corporate world? I would not mind working at the local farmer's market bagging groceries.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

I have explored the first three links before-yes helpful and informative-those were the first things I goggled on the net however I am having a difficult time finding homes for rent and what areas are good? What elementary schools are good-just proving to be tricky when you are not there, Thank you for your help though! EVERY bit helps.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,305,932 times
We are not familiar at all with what areas are good compared to others
Moving to another state can be frustrating when you don’t know where to start and are not familiar with were you want to go.
Unless you're in extreme mortal peril, I strongly suggest you do a little more homework before you uproot your family to move to Asheville.

I am an office administrator/manager with 2 degrees and certifications. My fiance works over seas for a private company doing security so I think we will be fine
I think you're being unrealistic. My daughter has both a MBA and MPM (Master's of Project Management), experience, and is a long time resident of the area. It took her close to a year to find her current position.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but IMHO, taking a chance when you're unencumbered is not the same as when you have serious responsibilities, like children. In any case, much luck to you.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:36 AM

I appreciate the advise and food for thought-thank you.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 PM

957 posts, read 2,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
We are not familiar at all with what areas are good compared to others
Moving to another state can be frustrating when you don’t know where to start and are not familiar with were you want to go.
Unless you're in extreme mortal peril, I strongly suggest you do a little more homework before you uproot your family to move to Asheville.

I am an office administrator/manager with 2 degrees and certifications. My fiance works over seas for a private company doing security so I think we will be fine
I think you're being unrealistic. My daughter has both a MBA and MPM (Master's of Project Management), experience, and is a long time resident of the area. It took her close to a year to find her current position.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but IMHO, taking a chance when you're unencumbered is not the same as when you have serious responsibilities, like children. In any case, much luck to you.
Excellent advice on the job front, as I've mentioned several times on the board Asheville isn't a good place to be jobless, if you're looking for something beyond the typical tourism/service/restaurant type positions. There just are not a lot of firms looking for degreed professionals, and those positions that are out there will likely pay less than you're thinking they will. My MBA co-worker stocked shelves at Target for a year before he was hired on where I work.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:38 PM

904 posts, read 2,864,603 times
My husband has an MBA and 17 years of experience in a Fortune 500 company, a medical company and a large resort. Like I said, it has taken 3 months to even get an interview. Just be sure you have something in place before you risk everything. Not trying to be mean, I just think people should know what others are finding before you make the big move.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:11 PM

17,457 posts, read 38,859,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
My husband has an MBA and 17 years of experience in a Fortune 500 company, a medical company and a large resort. Like I said, it has taken 3 months to even get an interview. Just be sure you have something in place before you risk everything. Not trying to be mean, I just think people should know what others are finding before you make the big move.
All these posts are correct - there are just very, very few high-paying professional jobs in Asheville. That is why, even though we did buy a home there, we spend very little time there, as my hubby has a great job in Fla., and there is NOTHING and I mean nothing, to compare $$$ wise to it in Asheville, we checked. And since Asheville is the largest city in WNC, there are no nearby commutable cities for more professional opportunities. So, for now, our little home is more of a getaway and investment to enjoy whever we get the chance.

I do wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina