U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 26,809 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at the Asheville area to relocate, and are gearing up to do so soon.

As I look for places to rent online, a lot of rentals in Hendersonville come up in our price range.

Can someone tell me a little about the differences between hendersonville and asheville in regards to job availablility, and the people in the community?

I am also interested in the Mountain Community School in Hendersonville and have even made it to the top of their waiting list. Is it worth it to live in the town so we can be close to the school?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM

427 posts, read 162,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
We have been looking at the Asheville area to relocate, and are gearing up to do so soon.

As I look for places to rent online, a lot of rentals in Hendersonville come up in our price range.

Can someone tell me a little about the differences between hendersonville and asheville in regards to job availablility, and the people in the community?

I am also interested in the Mountain Community School in Hendersonville and have even made it to the top of their waiting list. Is it worth it to live in the town so we can be close to the school?

Thanks
Well, nothing like posting a new thread and not getting any responses. Lets see, I think maybe if you were to get responses you might be asked if you have been to Ashville. And how about Hendersonville, been there? Sure you can get some general ideas from what you read on these forums and other research, but nothing like actually going to where you're thinking! And what kind of "jobs" are you talking about? Gonna arrive "cold turky" without a job? What's your area of expertise, employment wise? That maybe should be made known for helping to determine job avaliability for the places you mention. Yeah, this may help, should anyone care to respond!!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 AM

My husband is looking at jobs in inside sales for upscale home improvement. He is submitting resumes and is hoping to have something before we settle. I am a doula and am looking to get settled before getting back into work, as my income is extra income.

I have visited Asheville and really love it. I have not been to Hendersonville. I stayed in Morganton for a couple of days, and the difference between the two towns was very large. It "seemed" to be much more out "in the sticks", and I don't think it would be a good fit for our family.

We are coming from a very small town, so small town is fine for us. It seemed when I visited NC that some areas were just much more depressed than others, and I was wondering if my perception was off, and if not, how is Hendersonville in that area?

Are the people freindly there? They were awesome in Asheville. We are a very community orriented family.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 AM

756 posts, read 969,208 times
My perceptions, having looked for 3 years and just settled in Asheville:

Hendersonville is a warm, friendly community with an older population than Asheville. It has all the amenities you would want - including Sam's Club, etc. The streets are crowded and were not made for the amount of traffic that comes in. Asheville has its crowded streets, too, but there is almost always an alternative route.

We absolutely loved Hendersonville and it was our #1 choice for a long time. But when push came to shove, Asheville had better medical care (we are retired), UNCA, easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway, great shopping, fabulous and diverse restaurants, and we decided this was where we would buy.

Last edited by GuyFriendly; 05-09-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM

36 posts, read 55,799 times
I would echo Guy Friendly's remarks. One thing I'd also note, having visited Hendersonville several times yearly over quite a few years, is that their downtown seems to be attempting to go more "upscale" and has thus driven out some of the more quaint, affordable, and interesting little shops. Also, Hendersonville seems to have a fair amount of ice in winter (although we have our share at times) and bad storms, some with tornado warnings, which we largely escape in Asheville, if these are of concern to you. It definitely attracts a lot of retirees. That said, it is a pretty little town and the people seem very friendly.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:39 AM

6 posts, read 17,365 times
I'm a Hendersonville native, and I'm in at least the fourth generation of my family to be born here. I know it hasn't changed too much, but Hendersonville seems bigger than it did when I was ten or so years younger. I still love it, nonetheless.

It is a very friendly town. Downtown is well-kept and there is usually a decent-sized crowd on the sidewalks. The city's semi-recent change of the traffic signals is a different story...but downtown is very nice and friendly. The worst thing there is the occasional skateboarder: it is a popular hang-out spot for high schoolers who can't get a ride to Asheville. Downtown is unbelievable during the Apple Festival.

The biggest difference between Asheville and Hendersonville is the size. Hendersonville still has somewhat of a small-town feel. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel like you're in the sticks - far from it. But Hendersonville is a TOWN. Asheville is a CITY. And others are correct in stating that Hendersonville's traffic is getting to be too much for the streets (try going down King Street or Church Street during busy times, it's awful). But it's still not bad.

The job market all depends on your skills. Hendersonville does have fewer opportunities overall compared to Asheville, but most of that is based simply on population. And even if you find a job in one and live in the other, it's not a bad drive. From my house, in the middle of Hendersonville, it's only a 30-40 minute drive to the Asheville mall, depending on traffic.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM

765 posts, read 1,498,521 times
Hendersonville is very much a retirement oriented community and the population tends to be older and more conservative. Downtown is mainly a tourist attraction and the local "mall" is very limited. It only takes 20-30 min to get from Hville to Aville and the much more diverse community we have up here. By diverse I mean not only people but activities and resources. I would also think your husband would have an easier job hunt in Aville.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks for all the info. My husband is willing to commute, so if he finds a job in one area and we live 30 min away, or so, that is fine.

I am a homebody, and want to live in a community that is friendly and open, and has some things going on. I don't like to have to go too far most days to do things like get groceries and run errands. In fact, I like to walk to do those things.

So, what about the terrain? Is Hendersonville hilly or flat? I remember Asheville being pretty hilly and lush with trees.

I have a place to stay for the month of June in Weaverville, and remember driving through that area. I liked it there. Is Weaverville similar to Hendersonville? I am coming from a very small town, so I am good with that kind of living.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM

765 posts, read 1,498,521 times
I live on the outskirts of Weaverville and would say it is a small town atmosphere and a lot smaller than Hendersonville yet only a few minutes from Asheville. It has the usual Walmart and Lowes and super Ingles(groceries) up near I26 but the downtown is so like Mayberry that you expect to see Barney and Andy wander by. It has a great diversity of homes ranging from lots of older bungalows, apts, townhouses, new devleopments, a few older developments, individual homes, and a golf-course community. The really rich folks live up on Hamburg Mtn where they can look down on the rest of the community. We really wish we had found one of the older bungalows for sale in town when we were looking but it appears they don't change hands very often. Every Wednesday we have a nice small farmers market down by Lake Louise and you get to know the vendors real fast. I can be on the French Broad River fishing in <5 minutes, downtown Asheville in 8 minutes, and its only 10 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway if you go up Reems Creek Rd. We have a very active arts community here with art tours of local artist studios a couple times a year. If you come make sure to stop in at Blue Mtn Pizza for dinner, its a regular local hangout--Larry

Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 PM

113 posts, read 290,111 times
Dang, another Walmart. As bad as Starbucks.

Are there any mom and pop coffee house? Gotta have my mocha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina