U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM

756 posts, read 978,664 times

Advertisements

A 12 year old Yorkie-Poodle was killed when a black bear bit through his spine.

They are dangerous but we haven't seen one yet. I'll put my Santa bells on my monopod when we go out tomorrow!

Camera and bells on monopod... yeah, that'll do it!

"An East Asheville couple's dog was killed by a black bear Monday evening in the front yard of their home off Tunnel Road.The attack happened at about 7 p.m. on Maple Springs Road, said Steve Baldwin, whose dog Precious died after being bitten by a large bear."

That's about 10 minutes from our house.

Last edited by GuyFriendly; 06-08-2010 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 PM

442 posts, read 931,716 times
and maybe spring for a can of bear mace! Yikes - you don't want to get between a momma bear and her cubs this time of year.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,822,211 times
Several dogs were killed by bears in the city limits last year also.

The governor staying at the Western Governors Mansions (Patton Mtn.) let her dogs out only to find a bear just a few feet away, but fortunately it didn't get her dogs.

I walk my dogs every night, and have seen bears on a number of occasions. It pays to be aware they are here.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 PM

267 posts, read 466,064 times
When we first got here in Sylva back in January, I was getting in the habit of letting our Pug out to run during the day for 20 minutes or so. She'd always return. But a month ago I started talking to one of our neighbors who saw a bear in her driveway recently, and she also told me that several cats and a small dog have gone missing over the last year or so, blamed not only on bear, but coyote.

I have since stopped letting her out on her own...

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM

45,155 posts, read 57,115,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
A 12 year old Yorkie-Poodle was killed when a black bear bit through his spine.

They are dangerous but we haven't seen one yet. I'll put my Santa bells on my monopod when we go out tomorrow!

Camera and bells on monopod... yeah, that'll do it!

"An East Asheville couple's dog was killed by a black bear Monday evening in the front yard of their home off Tunnel Road.The attack happened at about 7 p.m. on Maple Springs Road, said Steve Baldwin, whose dog Precious died after being bitten by a large bear."

That's about 10 minutes from our house.
I'm wondering, was the bear hungry, or did it feel threatened by the little dog barking at it? Why WOULD a bear kill a dog, anyone know?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 AM

765 posts, read 1,515,237 times
If you read the story and watch the video you can see that the bear had been into the neighbor's trash can (folks should get the bear proof cans if they're in bear country) and the man said that he had to get his other dog and the neighbor dog away from the bear. So I'd say that the real story was that the 3 dogs were all barking and nipping at the bear and it was just protecting itself. Coyotes are much more likely to kill a pet since they will eat them whereas bears are mainly scavenging for scraps or looking for berries, fruit, and grubs.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM

465 posts, read 622,725 times
So horrible.

We live in east AVL (near Evergreen School) and bears in our 'hood are pretty much a weekly occurence in the summer months. Hence, we keep our trash can in the garage and check before darting out the front/back doors at dawn/dusk. I had one hanging around my front porch one evening last year. Nothing there to entice his presence either. Just curious, I guess.

Up until recently (I enforced the leash law...), my favorite ditzy neighbor had two Dachshund dogs that used to run amuck 24/7 -- they'd chase cars and the bear within heel nipping distance!

Hopefully she caught this story...

Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,069,186 times
Leashes and fences are good things for dogs.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM

465 posts, read 622,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Leashes and fences are good things for dogs.
I feel the same way too and we don't even have dogs.

I tried explaining this to my neighbor, but she has lived in this neighborhood 15 years longer than us and seems to think differently.

She cried when I told her it's the law and I would enforce it for the safety of her dogs and overall peaceful atmosphere for the neighborhood. She proceeded to tell me that her dogs were a "warning system" to her children when the bear was present in the neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,822,211 times
Bear killed a 50 lb goat in the same part of town today. Witness said the bear easily picked it up in its mouth then stood on its hind legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina