Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,176 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the area around Linwood Park in Wichita? I've kind of heard some mixed reviews. The house I'm looking to rent is on S Hydraulic, between harry and lincoln, basically right across the street from the north part of the park. I'm having to rent sight unseen, I'm moving from Texas, and I'm ok as long as I don't have to worry about having my car stolen or getting shot at. I don't have kids, so the school district isn't an issue right now.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,156 times
I live a block the otherway from harry since 1992 went oversea last 4year and back here more than 5 month already, sometime at night I took a walk from harry down to douglast in linwood park(lincoln and harry between that) I feel safe enough.
My house on Hyraulic too.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 14,357 times
Default Don't Do It!!!!!

Hey I am warning you, Don't rent here without seeing it.

I have just relocated my family here, we move around a lot for my job and we have lived in many cities from coast to coast including the murder capitols.
We know what to avoid and I would avoid anything inside the loop surrounding Wichita. We took 3 weeks to find a place here, we learned about the areas in that time and thats the conclusion we came to.

A lot of people here just don't know better yet. I am assuming because the city hasn't always been this bad.

If you take the Enormous gamble of renting sight unseen go outside the loop or at least FAR north east starting from around Rock Rd. and 21st. but even there you are getting close.

head to Augusta, Andover, Derby (totally charmless but safer than Wichita), I hear that the FAR West side is not so bad either. Check the crime statistics in the towns you are heading to.

I have lived the TX Hill Country and you wont find that charm here either.

Unless you are gaining financially your probably better off staying in TX somewhere.

We are only here for work to save money to live somewhere ELSE.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 23,547 times
hiss has no idea what he/she is talking about. I would not rent anywhere near where you suggested though. Ive lived in wichita for about 16 of my 22 years alive. anywhere far west, northwest, far northeast is nice, college hill is nice, there are nice places all over town and crappy ones, like any city. but i strongly advise you not to rent where you are looking, crime is prevelent there.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:26 AM

188 posts, read 933,440 times
Are you set on a house or maybe an apartment? The area you are talking about tends to be more lower income but might be OK for starters until you can look around more. Your car probably won't be bothered and you probably won't be shot at either.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM

26 posts, read 199,354 times
Default what is your price range

I'd recommend NOT renting site unseen. That may not be the worst spot in town, but I'd hardly say it's great. What price range rent wise are you considering, and what are you moving here for? Maybe w/ a bit more info we could direct you better.
For instance, depending on where you will be working or going to school we could prob recommend a decent place, based on price as well.
I live far NW, pay about $1000/month for a 3/2/2. I'm 15-20 mins from downtown.
PM me if you want.
JB

Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,016 times
Arrow East side $600+ VS Linwood @ $300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish83 View Post
Is anyone familiar with the area around Linwood Park in Wichita? I've kind of heard some mixed reviews. The house I'm looking to rent is on S Hydraulic, between harry and lincoln, basically right across the street from the north part of the park. I'm having to rent sight unseen, I'm moving from Texas, and I'm ok as long as I don't have to worry about having my car stolen or getting shot at. I don't have kids, so the school district isn't an issue right now.

Thanks!!
Hi Starfish
Keep in mind Wichita apartments are like any other product, You get what you pay for. The people who say outside the loop aren’t telling you is it cost twice as much. Also anything on the East side is twice as much. So a 2BR 750 SQ Ft on the East side is $600.00+ VS $300 at Linwood. You get what you pay for.
If you were a car thief would you go after someone’s car at a 300$ apartment or one at a 600$ apartment. Auto crimes are higher in the higher economic areas of any town, malls are the best target. So keep your EXPECTATIONS in line with your budget and you wont be disappointed

Last edited by sjpzzz; 09-11-2007 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Correct verbiage

Old 09-14-2007, 10:32 PM

16 posts, read 80,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdallas View Post
I'd recommend NOT renting site unseen. That may not be the worst spot in town, but I'd hardly say it's great. What price range rent wise are you considering, and what are you moving here for? Maybe w/ a bit more info we could direct you better.
For instance, depending on where you will be working or going to school we could prob recommend a decent place, based on price as well.
I live far NW, pay about $1000/month for a 3/2/2. I'm 15-20 mins from downtown.
PM me if you want.
JB
jb, what school district area do you live in? The house we had an offer on went into foreclosure and the mediation process is taking forever so we may rent if it doesn't resolve quickly. We are in Maize school district and would love any advice on where to possibly rent w/in that school district.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 PM

9 posts, read 37,960 times
Hi! Another Wichitan weighing in on the issue, and I agree with the other posters who cautioned you against moving into this area without having been there much. I personally would be VERY hesistant to live in that area, especially if you haven't been there much before.

I don't know what you're looking for, but there are MUCH better/safer areas that aren't that much more expensive. As a rule, look further to the east or west side of town, as the middle can be a little scary.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 84,124 times
First and foremost, don't rent sight unseen. That is just setting yourself up for the possibility of a huge disapointment.
Secondly, where did this "loop" come from. This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I live inside this "loop" at 27th and Seneca and I have no problems. I am currently renting, Kingston Cove...not bad apartments, older yes but not bad. Apartment cost $460 a month, that includes free cable, a 20 acre stocked lake that you can swim in, fish, or boat (small trolly motors or paddle boats, but still fun). Also you have the fitness center, swimming pool, volley ball court and security available, if needed. Sq footage on my apartment is around 750-ish and I have very nice high ceilings in my living room. I do not experince really any crime at my complex and all the staff at the office know be my name and I feel they personally know me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita