Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,508 times

Advertisements

My family of 6 is planning a move to Wichita in about 9- 10 months from Danville, Va. We're starting early looking for rental homes that may be available about May or June. I'm a Respiratory therapist and my husband works as a tech at a chemical plant so employment is not a big concern as I've found several available jobs. I am very concerned about crime, DRUG ABUSE and violence! My hometown of Danville has experienced a robbery, purse snatching, murder or carjacking every single day for about 6 months! O ur population is only 49,000. So, with that said, I want a safe, christian place to raise my 6, 8 & 10 year old with my husband. I' m looking for a 5 bedroom home because my mother lives with me, also. I haven't had very much luck with large rental homes. I also need help finding doctors, ortho, ballet/tap instructors and youth sports(football, baseball) and adult softball for my family.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by movin over; 08-14-2007 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 PM

64 posts, read 290,410 times
If you stay in the suburbs, the crime rate is pretty low. Just use your common sense. I moved from West Wichita last spring and miss it immensely. There are so many good Christian churches, doctors, etc. The city has great youth sports if you are really into it, if not the local YMCA has some more low key alternatives. I went to the W. Wichita Family Practice and had Dr. Kris Goodnight. She was great and the practice always has qualified practitioners to see you in case of an illness. You might find better options purchasing instead of rentals. The housing prices are so much lower than Virginia, that you will take a minimal number of years to recoup your investment. I moved to South Carolina and a smaller town than Danville, but do not go to stores at night. I felt much safer in Wichita.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 74,019 times
Post Just a thought...

I am from Wichita and I currently live in Overland Park, KS (Kansas City Suburb). I have two sister's who live in towns just outside Wichita; Goddard and Bentley. Goddard is Southwest of Kellogg and Bentley is Northwest of Wichita. Maize is also a great area, which is where my parents live. All 3 are great areas that put you close to The City, yet keep you away from all the troubles of a big city. Bentley is very small, almost country feeling, whereas Goddard is growing rapidly. The schools are great in Goddard and with the area growing, more and more shopping is being built up.
If you are interested in the housing market let me know, I would be happy to refer you to someone (rent or buy).
All the best!
-Keri

Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,374 times
Hi,
I found this post by doing a search and was hoping that I could get in on the information too. My husband just put in for a job in Wichita with his current employer. We haven't heard back yet, but I am researching all the areas we are trying for. We are a family of 5, currently living in Altanta GA.
Can you tell me roughly what a 3-4 bedroom rental home would go for?
Thanks in advance for letting me barge in
Jenn

Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM

17 posts, read 74,019 times
Post Rentals

Hello Mommyjenn,
I would not be your best bet for specific pricing in Wichita, although I can refer you to a friend of mine in Real Estate in Wichita that could answer all of your questions. I am sure you will find the pricing of homes to be enticing to make the move, and rentals as well. My sister just rented a 3 bedroom townhome with a finished basement for around $600-700, in a nice and clean area (closer to Goddard).
Let me know directly if you want more info.
Good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,367 times
Smile Need a Home to rent in Goddard Please Help.

Could you please let me know if there are any more 3 bedroom homes for rent around that price or lower. My husband is getting out of the military after being hurt in Iraq. We are leaving Texas and moving back to live in Goddard (preferably) and can't find anything out. I would be so grateful if you could check on that.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:48 PM

378 posts, read 1,617,063 times
A good listing of apartments and rental properties in the Wichita area can be found here at www.move.com

Other than that, just google what you're looking for and I'm sure you can find something.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 32,047 times
Default wellcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjenn View Post
Hi,
I found this post by doing a search and was hoping that I could get in on the information too. My husband just put in for a job in Wichita with his current employer. We haven't heard back yet, but I am researching all the areas we are trying for. We are a family of 5, currently living in Altanta GA.
Can you tell me roughly what a 3-4 bedroom rental home would go for?
Thanks in advance for letting me barge in
Jenn
My family moved to wichita a year ago from NJ. This is a great place to raise a family. Andover schools are the best public. Andover is only 15 min. from downtown Wichita. (no traffic)

Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 32,047 times
Also go to Kansas.com and check out the apartments. This link will take you to houses for rent. The Northeast is your best place if you are going to use private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita