Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM

14 posts, read 72,468 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job at Spirit Aerosystems. We are actually going to Wichita this weekend to check things out. I was just curious if there are good/bad/ or indiffenent feelings about Spirit.

Are they a financially sound company?
Have they been affected by any Boeing Layoffs? Do they layoff any of their employees?

My main concern is moving to Wichita, and then my husband losing his job due to the rough economic times!

Help me.... please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,351 times
They're a good company. Right now, they're being affected by the Boeing strike and being forced to work 3 days a week. They're basically a spin-off from Boeing which happens to be doing much better than Boeing. Main issue with the Boeing strike at this time seems to be job security which is understandable but at this time, I'm not union. I am currently attending school to complete my certificate in cnc machining then I'm going to apply at Learjet, Boeing, Spirit, Hawker Beechcraft, and a few other companies. I already have had several contacts with Hawker but am not sure if I will work there. It all depends what happens in May 2009 which is my projected graduate date. Good luck in your job search. I can tell you this though. Wichita is a good town to raise kids and cheap housing compared to Austin where I came from but has one big negative...lack of outdoor activities compared to Austin. Austin is a completely different city..over 1 million people....different vibe..they're more laid back there than here.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:39 PM

266 posts, read 831,911 times
Spirit has been on three-day work weeks and recently did some layoffs. Not a good time for the aircraft industry in Wichita right now.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
I work for another aircraft company and was contacted indirectly about working for them. You'd think that if they were having a hard way to go they wouldn't be trying to hire more engineers. If a company is hiring that's usually a good sign....but then you hear about 3-day work weeks and it just seems a little puzzling. I don't know.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,019 times
I've never understood how these companies can be hiring the same time they are laying off! Something is not right with that practice IMHO!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 AM

I suspect because they lay off the higher earning people then hire the entry level personnel. Once they get experience, then it's easier to get re-hired. CNC machinists are the ones most likely to get hired fast because they have to go to school to get training. They're not like the assemblers or the airplane cabinet makers which go to 10 week training program at WATC. I'm attending WATC and majoring in cnc machining myself with a minor in welding.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 14,936 times
How is learjet Bombardier doing? Recently i was contactd by them. How is work culture at Learjet and is there any lay offs?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobabu View Post
How is learjet Bombardier doing? Recently i was contactd by them. How is work culture at Learjet and is there any lay offs?
I interviewed with them about 10 months ago and recieved an offer. I ended up going with another company but they seemed to be going strong. I haven't seen anything about any layoffs over there personally.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Learjet seems to be doing well. My friend works for them. I am going to see if I can apply for a position there after I graduate in May 2009.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
They're a good company. Right now, they're being affected by the Boeing strike and being forced to work 3 days a week. They're basically a spin-off from Boeing which happens to be doing much better than Boeing. Main issue with the Boeing strike at this time seems to be job security which is understandable but at this time, I'm not union. I am currently attending school to complete my certificate in cnc machining then I'm going to apply at Learjet, Boeing, Spirit, Hawker Beechcraft, and a few other companies. I already have had several contacts with Hawker but am not sure if I will work there. It all depends what happens in May 2009 which is my projected graduate date. Good luck in your job search. I can tell you this though. Wichita is a good town to raise kids and cheap housing compared to Austin where I came from but has one big negative...lack of outdoor activities compared to Austin. Austin is a completely different city..over 1 million people....different vibe..they're more laid back there than here.
If you are not UNION, your job security is ZERO. You can be fired at anytime for any reason or for no reason at all. You have ZERO rights. I have been union (NABET, IBEW, CWA) for 24 years and never missed a day of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita